• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Moderate Snow Potential 4/4

ORH_wxman

Yeah it's almost a WCB well weak one on the GFS. 

Definitely WAA driven.

What's interesting is the old rule of thumb that the heaviest snow falls along the 850 mb -8C isotherm would argue for farther north. That's square within the strongest f-gen too. But best lift and RH argues for south.

BOX can enjoy it, I need my golf courses clear.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah what's your average? You must be pretty close to the long term average, especially after tomorrow.

You guys probably have departures from normal similar to what we had last winter up here, just a couple ticks under normal...but still with more warning events.

Will and I talked about that the other day too...BOS with 8 winter storm warnings since the northern Greens have seen their last one. That's amazing.

Well the Hingham guy I think it up to near 50" since 1981. Depends on period of record.  Somewhere near that I suppose.  

Edit: I should run the numbers. It could be like 47" too. I know up through 2014 ince 1960 it was like 48.6" or something like that. 

I have to run from Albany NY to Waterbury CT tomorrow morning, leaving at 5:00am from Hazleton PA for Albany. I figure sometime between 9 and noon I'll be running across the Mass Pike over to route 8, then down into CT. Can anyone give me an idea of what local mets are thinking up that way...and what kind of road 8 is from the Pike to the state line...

A very nice drive and fun road. But I would be very careful in the snow. A lot of a curves once you get into and around Otis and the roads in ct are crap so be careful. Safe travels!

Definitely WAA driven.

What's interesting is the old rule of thumb that the heaviest snow falls along the 850 mb -8C isotherm would argue for farther north. That's square within the strongest f-gen too. But best lift and RH argues for south.

BOX can enjoy it, I need my golf courses clear.

I've heard that one a few times, but what was the logic behind it?

I've heard that one a few times, but what was the logic behind it?

In a fairly typical storm, the best lift will be above 850mb...say in the 700mb range, which is usually a bit colder, so it will be in the best dendritic growth.

edit: oceanstate beat me to it

Well if you think about it, that would place your DGZ (-12 to -18) somewhere north of 850, where you typically find your strongest lift in synoptic systems.

Ahh so it's snow growth related...I was thinking banding related for some reason. Like the best forcing somehow ends up there.

Can see why you wouldn't want to use that rule in WAA situations or SWFE where it's -8C H85 but -1C at H75-H8.

But overall that sounds like our upslope -10C rule...once H85 hits -10C or lower in upslope, it's game on for good snow production as the best lift over the Spine is usually right at that level or a few thousand feet above.

10:1 and Kuchera snow maps for 18z RGEM are worlds apart.

There's a warm layer to watch for down south...kind of a weird system...it is very cold initially, then it warms aloft rapidly, then everything collapses SE and cools again.

Sorry no futility record for CON. With nearly 150 years of precip data that would have been impressive.

If things break right, it might not even be a top 5 worst snowfall season.

Farmington co-op currently standing at 3rd lowest in 123 winters, but would need only a few tenths to slide back to #4.

soundings are very unstable too. Another fun storm

Yeah it should be fun...really cold for midday April too and it will need it. Even with that cold, anytime the rates are low, that sun angle will be felt. But keep moderate snow or better and it won't matter...and of course that really cold airmass will help.

There's been a lot of grumpy jackpot fetish posts in this forum recently...so I'm gonna try and avoid the jackpot discussion this storm...maybe not until after it has started. Seems to take away from the fun for me. I will say there's pretty solid ML fronto, so some unpredictable bands will show up.

Yeah it should be fun...really cold for midday April too and it will need it. Even with that cold, anytime the rates are low, that sun angle will be felt. But keep moderate snow or better and it won't matter...and of course that really cold airmass will help.

There's been a lot of grumpy jackpot fetish posts in this forum recently...so I'm gonna try and avoid the jackpot discussion this storm...maybe not until after it has started. Seems to take away from the fun for me. I will say there's pretty solid ML fronto, so some unpredictable bands will show up.

I get that the western and northern folks are upset, angry and frustrated..Lord knows i would be, and my time will come when this area gets boners in the behind time and again like they have..and it's even ok to complain a little bit. No problems with that..But MPM type stuff this morning was just gouge your eyeballs out with a plastic spoon type stuff.. Always doubting, always whining, always meh to everything..that kind of stuff has just got to stop. Here many folks were enjoying the storm and whatever they were getting,, and he was meh meh meh meh meh

I get that the western and northern folks are upset, angry and frustrated..Lord knows i would be, and my time will come when this area gets boners in the behind time and again like they have..and it's even ok to complain a little bit. No problems with that..But MPM type stuff this morning was just gouge your eyeballs out with a plastic spoon type stuff.. Always doubting, always whining, always meh to everything..that kind of stuff has just got to stop. Here many folks were enjoying the storm and whatever they were getting,, and he was meh meh meh meh meh

I don't mind a little complaining...we all do it. Esp if you are getting royally porked (ironically, I think MPM deserves to get his ranting in this winter...though he was actually smart and checked out mostly after a certain point). What bothers me more is when you're still getting snow (and others are totally whiffing)...but you complain about getting an inch or two less than someone else. Basically just obsessing over the jackpot. I probably shouldn't let it affect me...but it has seemed to permeate the threads more than usual. Maybe it's just the crappy winter...but even the last couple winters which were good seemed to have more than we did in the past.

I just think back to like a winter such as '07-'08...we joked "congrats dendrite" like every storm...but we were still enthusiastically tracking the events and everyone seemed to be enjoying their 6" of snow even if it flipped to sleet while it was 13" up north.

I can't believe you actually wrote that post

I don't mind a little complaining...we all do it. Esp if you are getting royally porked (ironically, I think MPM deserves to get his ranting in this winter...though he was actually smart and checked out mostly after a certain point). What bothers me more is when you're still getting snow (and others are totally whiffing)...but you complain about getting an inch or two less than someone else. Basically just obsessing over the jackpot. I probably shouldn't let it affect me...but it has seemed to permeate the threads more than usual. Maybe it's just the crappy winter...but even the last couple winters which were good seemed to have more than we did in the past.

I just think back to like a winter such as '07-'08...we joked "congrats dendrite" like every storm...but we were still enthusiastically tracking the events and everyone seemed to be enjoying their 6" of snow even if it flipped to sleet while it was 13" up north.

the jackpot today was 7-8 inches, so you mean only those who complained bc they had 5 or 6?

Archived