joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April Banter Thingy

H2O

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much?  My wife and I did 6 cubic yards last week, but that was much better than the 10-15 that we've done in past years.

I did 6 yards of mulch 2 weeks ago and then did another 2 yards of mulch and 2 yards of top soil today.  The top soil was totally saturated from the rain yesterday and this morning. 

Yards? Where do you get topsoil by the yard? I've only bought by the ton. Is there an equivalence measurement there I'm not aware of?

Not sure what your project is - new grass or flowerbeds.  Either way, suggest trying M&J Organics in Bristow (they have a web site).  Ask for "Thea" and tell her Robby from Vienna recommended M&J to you.  I am not getting kickback here, only want to give a good referral where it's due.  I've been dealing with them for several years now.  But it's been a while since I ordered from them.  Since they are in Bristow and delivered to Vienna, I'd have to guess they'll deliver out west too.

Nearly all professional suppliers of bulk topsoil, compost and mulch measure by the yard. Across the board, it's the standard measure of delivery.  If you pay by the ton for top soil, compost and/or 50/50, you are paying a lot for the water moisture content.

If you are planting new grass or planning to grow anything, I'd highly suggest going with 50/50 instead of just top soil - 50%topsoil and 50%compost.  The addition of compost into the mix can work wonders, especially with the wonderful clay soil many of us have around here.   

As for price - M&J is cheaper than everyone else I surveyed.  We recovered about an half-acre of our property that had not been maintained for years before we bought it.  When getting ready to reseed for grass, I researched about every bulk supplier in the N. VA area.  M&J was the most reasonable by far.  And, the more I bought the more they came down in price.  If you order a full dump truck load (8-10 yds) you should be around $30 per yard, maybe a little more.  Most other suppliers I checked with a few years ago started in the mid 30's/yd and went up from there. 

I got them down much less because I ended up ordered around 200 yds from them over a few weeks (have a small Kubota with backhoe and landscape rake that was key).  If you need a LOT, they have tractor trailer dump trucks that can bring 30+  yards at a time.  But that's a lot to move without mechanical assistance.  As others have commented, just one dump truck load is a lot to move by a wheelbarrow.  Glad those days are behind me.

Lastly, M&J was very reliable to deal with.  Every time I made an order, they were there on the day they said they would.

Hope this helps - Good luck. 

Thanks guys, no, I don't have a project. I was just intrigued by the use of yards as a measure. I'm just used to ordering by the ton.

Just did a quick google and it looks like a yard under normal conditions is indeed about 2000 lbs.

Good luck with projects all.

Archived