• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/20-21/2016 Snowfall Obs Thread

Rtd208

Very hard to measure here, because the colder surfaces like the deck and table had just about a half inch or maybe slightly under, but the grass was a Trace.

It might not be much, but it's really nice to see everything with a light snow coating on a Spring morning.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said ground temps were going to be a problem yesterday and I got bashed and laughed at..lol

You were rightfully bashed because the guidance was showing. 5 to .75 falling at night.

With those rates ( proved by last year's storm which fell during the day ) would have stuck.

Do you know why the snow didn't stick on your roads at 9 pm last night ? It wasn't because it was 60 for a week it was because by the time all this came to pass only .2 was forecast and fell .

Which was always the argument. Lighter rates equal poorer BL and with the absence of heavier rates it's cant stick.

I showed you last year's storm to the day , which fell during the way with warmer 850s / similar forecast BL and temps the week before we were in the 50's .

.6 to .8 were forecast /fell so we easily cooled and 5 to 7 accumulated.

It's always about rates / without it evaporative cooling does not reach its max.

Wow. Around 3 inches out here.

Roads completely snow covered and moderate snow continues.

Snow covered roads ? Impossible. It was 60 for the last 2 weeks .

Snow can not stick on the roads in late March.

Oh wait ....

Lol there were some cartops with a bit of snow when I woke up...virtually nothing stuck as I thought...marginal temps and marginal rates. Why people keep buying into the snowier models and tossing the least snowy is our great mystery. March snow is not about hugging snow maps...kudos to NWS in Mt Holly for their accurate reasoned forecast

Lol there were some cartops with a bit of snow when I woke up...virtually nothing stuck as I thought...marginal temps and marginal rates. Why people keep buying into the snowier models and tossing the least snowy is our great mystery. March snow is not about hugging snow maps...kudos to NWS in Mt Holly for their accurate reasoned forecast

Thanks but you live no where near the city or LI

Congrats is in order to the Long Island crew, this time managing to pull off the upset of all upsets by receiving a significant accumulating snowfall in late March while the interior barely saw anything. Especially in a March that featured multiple 80 degree days.

It's unbelievable how much of a roller coaster ride this month has been, and it's only 2/3rds over.

Guest Pamela

3.5 inches Port Jefferson.  Very pretty scene.  45.2" on the 2015-16 season.  Can't complain; the season fit the pattern here...started badly...ended well.

Mt. Holly busted badly for everyone, especially along or east of the NJ TPK, as you know from my posts on the RU board.  You were predicted to get an inch of snow yesterday morning and got none, while I was predicted to get 2" and got 1/4" and folks near the coast were predicted to get 2-4" and the most I've seen reported by the NWS is 2" in Toms River.  The NWS was not "hugging models" but taking a blended average of several models - sometimes forecasts simply don't work out - worked out fine for NYC/LI though, apparently. 

Guest Pamela

3.5 inches Port Jefferson.  Very pretty scene.  45.2" on the 2015-16 season.  Can't complain; the season fit the pattern here...started badly...ended well.

Looks like LGA had 0.5"...Central Park recorded a trace of snow...

So who threw out the less snowy models for your area and only discussed the overblown models? PM me with links to the posts in question. Thanks.

All of us that analyze model runs here were pretty much in agreement on Friday that this was a 3-6" coast, 2-4" event inland. And then we were all pretty much in agreement that it was a 1-3" coast, <1" inland by yesterday. The only posters humping the really snowy models were the ones living out on Long Island where the most snow fell by far, so I don't really see a problem with that. 

Guest Pamela

JFK with 0.5"...Newark with a Trace....Bridgeport with 2.0"....Islip with 2.3".

Guest Pamela

We did have a certain poster that will remain unnamed insisting that CPK would measure 3" as late at yesterday afternoon.

Wasn't me...

Mt. Holly busted badly for everyone, especially along or east of the NJ TPK, as you know from my posts on the RU board. You were predicted to get an inch of snow yesterday morning and got none, while I was predicted to get 2" and got 1/4" and folks near the coast were predicted to get 2-4" and the most I've seen reported by the NWS is 1.2" in Toms River and JerseySnowRob reported 1.5" in Marlboro. The NWS was not "hugging models" but taking a blended average of several models - sometimes forecasts simply don't work out - worked out fine for NYC/LI though, apparently.

M holly predicted less than an inch for me

Guest Pamela

We did have a certain poster that will remain unnamed insisting that CPK would measure 3" as late at yesterday afternoon.

In fact, my forecast was close to perfect...see below:

Nice to see you WG...the storm appears to be fizzling; looks like an inch in NYC...and maybe up to 3 inches on Long Island.   In other words, 42 pages for what amounts to practically a non-event.

Archived