joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Possible 3/20-3/21 Coastal Storm

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing I can never understand is why some choose to completely ignore the models if they make changes to a less snowy solution, sometimes major changes, inside 24 hours. I am sure that if the 12z EURO came in showing 4-8" for all of us, we would NOT ignore it. So then, why do we choose to ignore models that were showing 4-8" and now show close to nothing? As we get closer to the event, the models have a much better chance of verifying. Sure, nowcasting and radar watching is fun (when a storm seems to be locked in), but aren't the models technically nowcasting as well?

Sifting through the past data for snowstorms that occurred March 20 or later, the idea that it was more likely than not that NYC would not reach 4" or more snow seems to be supported beyond climatology. When one includes storms that brought 4" or more snow one or more of the following cities: Boston, Islip, or New York City, the statistics were as follows:

Boston: 4" or More:

Islip: 33% cases with 4" or more (1984-2015)

New York City: 17% with 4" or more (1950-2015)

Islip: 4" or More:

Boston: 50% cases with 4" or more (1984-2015)

New York City: 25% cases with 4" or more (1984-2015)

New York City: 4" or More:

Boston: 22% with 4" or more (1950-2015)

Islip: 25% with 4" or more (1984-2015)

During Islip's period of record, which began in 1984, there were no cases where Boston, Islip, and New York City all picked up 4" or more snow.

Considering that there was fairly high confidence that Boston would pick up 4" or more snow based on consistency with the guidance and the 500 mb pattern (key features were somewhat east of the March 22, 1998 case favoring eastern areas), it was much more likely that Islip would have a chance at 4" or more snow than New York City. 

Currently, that's where things stand. My guess is that, even allowing for some small shifts in the modeling, one will probably see:

Boston: 6"-10"

Bridgeport: 1"-3"

Islip: 3"-6"

New York City: 1"-3"

Newark: 0.5"-1.5"

Providence: 4"-8"

Westhampton: 4"-8"

White Plains: 1" or less

Worcester: 6"-10"

Don, thanks again for all of the useful information. Do you know when the last time Philly, New York, And Boston have all seen 4" or more from the same storm in late March? Doesn't seem like something that would be extremely uncommon, but looking at this data, it sure seems like it is!

Don, thanks again for all of the useful information. Do you know when the last time Philly, New York, And Boston have all seen 4" or more from the same storm in late March? Doesn't seem like something that would be extremely uncommon, but looking at this data, it sure seems like it is!

From 1950-2015 there were no such cases where all three cities received 4" or more of snow.

The last such occurrence was April 8-10, 1917:

Boston: 9.1"

New York City: 6.5"

Philadelphia: 7.0"

That storm also brought 4" or more to Philadelphia, New York, and Boston.

Boston: 6.1"

New York City: 10.2"

Philadelphia: 19.4"

latest OPC  surface cast

A_24hrsfc.gifInteresting  996mb  8:00am  EDT  on  the BM

that would be slower and stronger if this prog is correct

While I do think you post some very informative stuff on here, I think its time to give up on this one. Is it possible this overperforms, sure, but I wouldn't bet the ranch on it.

Archived