joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Possible 3/20-3/21 Coastal Storm

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's probably the most important thing right now. For the first time, the NAM has moved into closer agreement with some of the other guidance. Hopefully, the rest of the 0z guidance will be even more favorable for a larger part of the area.

That is exactly what I think some people are dismissing here. The trend is the most important thing right now, and it is very well possible this will continue to trend further north and west right up until the start of the event. Some people seem to think there is this magical, invisible cutoff when it becomes "to late" for the models to continue trending more favorable, its like a point of no return which truly does not exist.

The NAM now prints out .9 into Redbank NJ . 24 hours ago , it whiffed the area .

2 weeks ago CNJ received 3 to 5 inches of snow where .1 to. 2 were forecast 12 hours prior .

That water is very warm and these are just precip grids .

The heavier amounts found their way up the coast that day.

So if you are asking for a 30 miles shift NW you are not asking for the impossible.

Again there is going to be a sharp cut off , but one more bump NW "could happen "

The NAM now prints out .9 into Redbank NJ . 24 hours ago , it whiffed the area .

2 weeks ago CNJ received 3 to 5 inches of snow where .1 to. 2 were forecast 12 hours prior .

That water is very warm and these are just precip grids .

The heavier amounts found their way up the coast that day.

So if you are asking for a 30 miles shift NW you are not asking for the impossible.

Again there is going to be a sharp cut off , but one more bump NW "could happen "

If I had to guess... The sharp cutoff is probably 84 lmao....... All to common this year

RGEM seems to be a bit of a step back from 18z, at least for NYC N and W. Still looks good for LI and still some snow west of there though. The idea that this will keep trending NW sounds great, but has not been the common theme this winter, unfortunately

Rgem looks ALOT like the 4K nam... 1-2/1-3 for NYC and a few spots NW, Long Island special...

Just a word of advice.

i will be in brooklyn tomorrow night. Hope to see some flakes.

Surprised nobody has mentioned how the NAM always over does QPF.

Cut what you see by 50 to 60%

cmon that is silly, the NAM does tend to overdo qpf, but you don't cut totals by 60%, especially when it has support from other models in the eastern regions where the qpf totals are high

This isnt true

The general rule i hear amongst meteorologists is to cut it by 1/3. So that's 33.3% not 50-60%. But that certainly isn't true in all of the cases and in every area. It's just a crude rule of thumb that I don't personally buy and can burn you. As a matter of fact, using the NAM in general can just burn you.

It's not right.

People are wish casting.

NAM QPF is always off by 50 to 60%

i am no fan of the NAM, but this statement is not true, it is not always off by that amounts.  Take a look at the RGEM, it looks pretty similar to the NAM.  The NAM has a wet-bias, but it not always off by more than half.

The general rule i hear amongst meteorologists is to cut it by 1/3. So that's 33.3% not 50-60%. But that certainly isn't true in all of the cases and in every area. It's just a crude rule of thumb that I don't personally buy and can burn you. As a matter of fact, using the NAM in general can just burn you.

exactly, i am sure you are more likely to give the NAM QPF output more credence when it has support from other models.  and of course nothing is "Always" so with models.

i am no fan of the NAM, but this statement is not true, it is not always off by that amounts.  Take a look at the RGEM, it looks pretty similar to the NAM.  The NAM has a wet-bias, but it not always off by more than half.

RGEM sucks for the fringe areas.

Trust me. I have been  kicked in the nutz all winter by it.

Archived