joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 24 2016 severe weather outbreak

Ian

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the SPC went a little far with the hatched tornado risk but I could be wrong.

Sun hasn't broken out here yet at all, 52.4 with some foggy conditions. 

I was told today is a day where we are relying on other sources to create our instability, having the sun come out isn't exactly make or break in this type of scenario, although it would help if I understand correctly 

I think the SPC went a little far with the hatched tornado risk but I could be wrong.

Sun hasn't broken out here yet at all, 52.4 with some foggy conditions. 

Sun isn't really what we are looking for. It wouldn't hurt obviously but our instability comes from advecting in an unstable airmass. 

That seems a tad dramatic.  :lol:

They're just using SPC language though the SPC language is heavily targeted south. SPC is amazing overall but this is not their best area when it comes to forecasting. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

They're just using SPC language though the SPC language is heavily targeted south. SPC is amazing overall but this is not their best area when it comes to forecasting. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Similar events in the past have yielded a linear type thing coming through in a SSW to NNE direction barely missing DC to the south and then heading across the bay to the NE. Not sure if that'll happen here but my money is still on DC doing not much other than heavy rain and thunder. 

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/md0145.html

Mesoscale Discussion 145 < Previous MD mcd0145.gif MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0145
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
1218 PM CST WED FEB 24 2016

AREAS AFFECTED...PORTIONS OF VA/NC AND MD/DC METRO AREA

CONCERNING...SEVERE POTENTIAL...TORNADO WATCH LIKELY

VALID 241818Z - 242015Z

PROBABILITY OF WATCH ISSUANCE...95 PERCENT

SUMMARY...THE TORNADO RISK WILL STEADILY INCREASE THROUGH THE
AFTERNOON FROM UPSTATE/PIEDMONT PORTIONS OF NC INTO
SOUTHERN/EAST-CENTRAL VA AND EVENTUALLY ADJACENT MD/DC METRO
VICINITY. THE POTENTIAL EXISTS FOR A COUPLE OF STRONG /EF2+/
TORNADOES THIS AFTERNOON/EARLY EVENING...INCLUDING AREAS SPANNING
RALEIGH/DURHAM NC AND THE I-85/I-95 CORRIDORS NORTH-NORTHEASTWARD TO
THE RICHMOND VA VICINITY. A TORNADO WATCH ISSUANCE IS HIGHLY LIKELY
FOR SOUTHERN VA BY AROUND 19Z/2 PM EST...WITH AN ADDITIONAL TORNADO
WATCH ISSUANCE EXPECTED LATER THIS AFTERNOON FOR ADDITIONAL PORTIONS
OF VA/MD AND DC METRO AREA.

DISCUSSION...EARLY THIS AFTERNOON /1 PM EST/...MULTIPLE
NNE/SSW-ORIENTED BANDS OF INCREASINGLY INTENSE STORMS ARE ONGOING IN
TWO DISTINCT CORRIDORS...ONE ACROSS WESTERN NC AND THE OTHER ACROSS
EAST-CENTRAL NC...EACH ASSOCIATED WITH INCREASINGLY CONFLUENT
LOW-LEVEL FLOW...WHILE AN INCREASE IN SHOWERS HAS ALSO RECENTLY BEEN
NOTED ACROSS THE NC PIEDMONT/SOUTH-CENTRAL VA. AN
EROSION/NORTHWARD-SHIFT OF THE WEDGE FRONT CONTINUES TO OCCUR AS A
WARM FRONT EFFECTIVELY ANGLES SOUTHWEST/NORTHEASTWARD AT THE PRESENT
TIME FROM WESTERN NC INTO FAR SOUTH-CENTRAL AND EAST-CENTRAL VA.
GIVEN THAT REGIONAL OBSERVED SOUNDINGS/RECENT WSR-88D VWP DATA ARE
SAMPLING AN EXTREMELY STRONG DEEP-LAYER WIND FIELD AND INCREASING
FORCING FOR ASCENT/MASS RESPONSE WILL INFLUENCE THE REGION...IT
SEEMS VERY LIKELY THAT THE TORNADO RISK WILL CONTINUE TO
INCREASE/SHIFT GENERALLY NORTHWARD THIS AFTERNOON AS ADDITIONAL
DESTABILIZATION/FRONTAL WEDGE EROSION CONTINUES TO OCCUR.

..GUYER/GRAMS.. 02/24/2016

ATTN...WFO...AKQ...LWX...RAH...RNK...

LAT...LON 36358067 37677980 38917802 38907686 38227584 36797638
35577882 36358067

Similar events in the past have yielded a linear type thing coming through in a SSW to NNE direction barely missing DC to the south and then heading across the bay to the NE. Not sure if that'll happen here but my money is still on DC doing not much other than heavy rain and thunder. 

Storms always seem to blow up over Stafford and then give the worst to La Plata imo.

Even though low level cold air is hanging tough, the warm push is definitely making a concerted effort.  I've been taking a look at the recent Roanoake/Sterling radar loops, surface obs and RAPID SCAN SATELLITEit won't take much to punch that warm air in here.  I would not be surprised by during the 2 - 5 pm timeframe you suddenly see the temps spike into the low 60s east of US 15.  In fact, the latest surface obs show most of the I-95 corridor is now in the low mid 50s.  Not sold on this yet, but I can definitely see why SPC did what they did.  It reminds me a bit of the two April 2011 events (17th and 24th?) Where DC saw a bunch of little spin ups and TORs in the evening.

I've generally favored Fredericksburg to S MD as northern extent of real tor risk. Could be someting minor north. I'll go down with that ship I think.

Even though low level cold air is hanging tough, the warm push is definitely making a concerted effort.  I've been taking a look at the recent Roanoake/Sterling radar loops, surface obs and RAPID SCAN SATELLITEit won't take much to punch that warm air in here.  I would not be surprised by during the 2 - 5 pm timeframe you suddenly see the temps spike into the low 60s east of US 15.  In fact, the latest surface obs show most of the I-95 corridor is now in the low mid 50s.  Not sold on this yet, but I can definitely see why SPC did what they did.  It reminds me a bit of the two April 2011 events (17th and 24th?) Where DC saw a bunch of little spin ups and TORs in the evening.

Rapid scan is awesome. So mesmerizing. 

This must be something they weren't expecting. I saw no mention of it yesterday; now all of a sudden we're talking about PDS watches.  :lmao:

Think SPC was too focused on yesterday to manage the risk better up here. Should have been in slight at d2. So it looks like huge changes even though there weren't really big changes in the models. PDS seems a stretch unless they are going to issue a lot more PDS watches this year. The first watch was close but not quite and it covers parts of the mod zone.

Tornado Watch out for AKQ and RNK CWA till 9 pm

URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED   TORNADO WATCH NUMBER 27   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   145 PM EST WED FEB 24 2016   THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A   * TORNADO WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF      SOUTHEAST MARYLAND     EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA     SOUTHERN AND SOUTHEAST VIRGINIA     COASTAL WATERS   * EFFECTIVE THIS WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING FROM 145 PM     UNTIL 900 PM EST.   * PRIMARY THREATS INCLUDE...     A FEW TORNADOES LIKELY WITH A COUPLE INTENSE TORNADOES POSSIBLE     SCATTERED DAMAGING WIND GUSTS TO 70 MPH LIKELY     ISOLATED LARGE HAIL EVENTS TO 1.5 INCHES IN DIAMETER POSSIBLE   SUMMARY...ONGOING STRONG TO SEVERE STORMS OVER PARTS OF EAST-CENTRAL   AND WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA SHOULD PROGRESS NORTHEASTWARD INTO EARLY   EVENING WITH ATTENDANT TORNADO AND DAMAGING WIND HAZARDS.

Archived