• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Model Mezzanine - 3rd times a charm

Baroclinic Zone

significant changes in the structure of the wave coming off the Pacific out west between GFS 00z 84 hour and this 12z 72 hour.

what it means downstream?   - not sure, but this run is flatter with the wave, and less initially intense out over the northern Rockies... could (death gasp... ehem) mean that the system doesn't dig as much too early, and ...that the ridge on it caboose helps nudge it more east overall, as well. 

Pretty strung out as moves to the east coast this run, May be a better run for more frozen this go round

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Must have been to far west for some of these or to late developing

I mean to us it seems like the Midwest is buried right? Everything has cut.

But to them in Chicago they are pulling a powderfreak and complaining that everything stays too far south and east.

It's the reality vs. perception of a cutter for New England. We don't care if the Euro is ALY or DTW low track, it's still a cutter. But to ORD that's a huge difference and akin to Kevin complaining the Euro went from 40/70 to Montreal on the last system after day 6. 

Yeah, well mixed even. But the GFS has a tendency to overdo that in the extended (we know it sucks with low level temps in the cool season).

Currently it is tickling LI with 1000 J/kg MUCAPE though. So why not waste all our thunder days in calendar winter.

Ah hahahahahaha - nice

But to them in Chicago they are pulling a powderfreak and complaining that everything stays too far south and east.

It's the reality vs. perception of a cutter for New England. We don't care if the Euro is ALY or DTW low track, it's still a cutter. But to ORD that's a huge difference and akin to Kevin complaining the Euro went from 40/70 to Montreal on the last system after day 6. 

Yeah, Not really looking at that area but making the assumption that it would have been better is correct

yeah, if we're still foolishly believing this isn't all happen TOO us ...like on purpose ( :) ) ... the best hope is weaker -

Wow, Lol, Ice to blue bomb on the 12z GFS

yeah, you could see this run going that way, ...as you and i were noticing the trough/relay changes coming off the Pacific.

question is, do we believe it? 

I'd say no.  trend is too difficult to over-come at this point, and there are other reasons (on top of that psychology) to thwart this run as bullcrap as well.  namely... all the dynamics in play are out over the Pacific ocean where of course there is a dearth of physical sounding information making it into the grids.  it's like, every time said dynamics passes over a measuring buoy we go back to cutter - ahahha.

i dunno - have to see other model's jump on board i suppose. 

some other interesting tedium (oxymoron) ... 

1 ...I like that the ridge in the west is doing just what we mentioned a while ago, caboose encouraging the trough to move more E than parobolically digging and going N toward the Lakes.  The ridge axis was in eastern WA/Oregon in previous runs ... this one progresses it E to eastern Idaho and is still moving it E.  

2 ... before much/all of this begins to unfold, heights over Florida are < than 582 over MIA.  There is a good amount of space between the geopotential isopleths, and the balanced wind velocities are < than 35 kts.  That means given impetus to do so, trough can dig SE without losing punch because they get gobbled up and absorbed in an already raging maelstrom. 

Exploded near CC and H7 low really closed off and went nuts. Banded snow with white out conditions and gusts over 60 even at ORH. I went from rain to BLSN pretty quick.

damn, still don't recall - :(

i'll have to look it up in the ncep library later.  must have been a quick hitting on exit deal ?

oh wait - i think i remember that now.  

Exploded near CC and H7 low really closed off and went nuts. Banded snow with white out conditions and gusts over 60 even at ORH. I went from rain to BLSN pretty quick.

Prob one of the worst flash freeze high impact events I've seen...went from like 45F rain to absolute mayhem in like 60 minutes. It was such a fast drop. Got about 7" of snow in that, but the way it happened it might as well have been 17". I think when the last flakes finally stopped falling, we were in the teens.

Anyways, this solution is probably wrong. I'd expect to see the other guidance still showing a regular cutter or even the pseudo clipper/FROPA that we've seen on multiple runs. That PV just keeps wanting to rotate spokes SW phase with ANYTHING that comes out of the Rockies. We can't seem to get one of those spokes to "miss" the phase and produce confluence for us to the north like we often see in overrunning or SWFE events.

Prob one of the worst flash freeze high impact events I've seen...went from like 45F rain to absolute mayhem in like 60 minutes. It was such a fast drop. Got about 7" of snow in that, but the way it happened it might as well have been 17". I think when the last flakes finally stopped falling, we were in the teens.

Anyways, this solution is probably wrong. I'd expect to see the other guidance still showing a regular cutter or even the pseudo clipper/FROPA that we've seen on multiple runs. That PV just keeps wanting to rotate spokes SW phase with ANYTHING that comes out of the Rockies. We can't seem to get one of those spokes to "miss" the phase and produce confluence for us to the north like we often see in overrunning or SWFE events.

And any confluence there is, lifts out rapidly. Ugh.  Your example would work on the GGEM after hr 144.

yeah yeah... i remember that now.  that was a fantastic bombogenesis rate of intensification.  big wind and snow squalls just exploded across eastern areas...

It was awesome. The kind of wind you open up the window for when you hear those gusts coming....and actually hear trees snapping. Crazy.

The irony....the season of deconstructive wave interference begins porking us on the constructive end of the spectrum toward the season's final stanza..

Archived