joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
President's Day Storm Obs & Nowcasting

nj2va

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question for the smarter people here: Temp seems to spike up +.5 or so every time I get under good returns. Is that from freezing rain accreting near the sensor warming it or is the surface temperature actually rising with each good burst? If the second is true, our fun could be cut short. 

The temps are rising across the area. ZR isn't very fun anyway. Hope this storm gets out of here soon because it has worn out its welcome since the snow stopped.

Freezing rain is rain that freezes on contact, so depends on how soon a puddle freezes. Even a few minutes later I would not classify that that way.

The article hosj linked basically said the opposite... freezing rain is any rain that freezes after it hits the surface. It said that the times to freeze would vary based on droplet size and temperature of the surface object, but its still freezing rain regardless.

Just went outside and it's really bad walking around. I stayed on the crunchy snow as best I could. Sidewalks are a a sheet of ice, and they put salt down on them earlier. My guess is rain kinda washed some of the salt away, allowing many areas to ice over (plus being mostly undisturbed, nobody is out walking around) . I know this will be gone by morning, but could be bad for several hours before that. Especially if the 4km NAM temps are right.

The article hosj linked basically said the opposite... freezing rain is any rain that freezes after it hits the surface. It said that the times to freeze would vary based on droplet size and temperature of the surface object, but its still freezing rain regardless.

Time for a red tagger to answer. I'm pretty sure meteorology books I've read unanimously refer to zr as rain that freezes on contact...that weatherprediction page has me wondering

Archived