Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
How much snow would you need for PD3?

MacintoshPro

How much snow would you need for "PD3"?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. What snowfall would you give the designation of "PD3" for?

• 3"
    • 6"
    • 8"
    • 12"
    • 15"
    • HECS! (1.5'+)
    • 4-8" of slop for SE, 8-12" of heavy wet snow N/W
    • Ice Storm (for Satanists)
    • 6-10" blizzard (not that we get a lot of those ;)

We get big storms all the time now. It would need to have a couple EF-1's, tree toppling micro bursts and a tsunami and maybe a little lava and a small earth quake.

As long as the hot lava doesn't warm things up too much and turn us to rain!  :D

But seriously...if we score ~6" in the DC area, I'd have to consider that quite a win.  Even if we flip to sleet and then rain at the end (which hopefully won't wash it all away).  My benchmark for being really good would be like that February event last year when we were spotted some 20 degrees before it changed over.  I think there's a halfway decent shot we can get something similar in this one.

We get big storms all the time now. It would need to have a couple EF-1's, tree toppling micro bursts and a tsunami and maybe a little lava and a small earth quake.

Man.. I could go for a EF1 right now. Catch some crabs, watch an EF1 pop off a few roofs. I might of just had a twinge of spring fever lol.

The original presidents day storms were HECS. Those are big shoes to fill. But it has to be done in order to join the elite and take the name. PD3

18" or bust

I just realized that DC hasn't had a clean 12-16" storm in like 50 years. Its either HECS or bust with DCA's problems. I've had foot storms in both of the MECS (Feb 2006 and 2014), but DCA has had at least 4" less than me in each. I think that I would definitely consider a 12"+ storm for DCA a PD3... they're pretty darn rare.

I just realized that DC hasn't had a clean 12-16" storm in like 50 years. Its either HECS or bust with DCA's problems. I've had foot storms in both of the MECS (Feb 2006 and 2014), but DCA has had at least 4" less than me in each. I think that I would definitely consider a 12"+ storm for DCA a PD3... they're pretty darn rare.

Lol-- we just posted the same thing.

Lol-- we just posted the same thing.

Thats funny :D

I think especially in recent times, there is a strong correlation to the N/W suburbs and DC's storm total. In the borderline HECS storms of 93 and Feb '14, The N/W suburbs got 15-20", while DCA got much less. I guess I'm trying to say that for DCA to truly have HECS totals, the N/W suburbs need to have 24-36" of snow. This was true in Jan 96, Jan 2016, Feb 2010A, PD1, PD2 (mostly northern places). When the western suburbs get 15-20" of snow, DCA is probably not going to get anywhere near that. I guess the only time this didn't work is December 2009, probably because that was a very cold storm. Overall, the main message is that the N/W burbs always win - whether it be deathbanded, colder, dryslotting, better ratios, deformation bands, N/W shifts.... they have done better in every single HECS, even the cold ones. I wonder if/when we'll see a DC jackpot in a HECS.

Thats funny :D

I think especially in recent times, there is a strong correlation to the N/W suburbs and DC's storm total. In the borderline HECS storms of 93 and Feb '14, The N/W suburbs got 15-20", while DCA got much less. I guess I'm trying to say that for DCA to truly have HECS totals, the N/W suburbs need to have 24-36" of snow. This was true in Jan 96, Jan 2016, Feb 2010A, PD1, PD2 (mostly northern places). When the western suburbs get 15-20" of snow, DCA is probably not going to get anywhere near that. I guess the only time this didn't work is December 2009, probably because that was a very cold storm. Overall, the main message is that the N/W burbs always win - whether it be deathbanded, colder, dryslotting, better ratios, deformation bands, N/W shifts.... they have done better in every single HECS, even the cold ones. I wonder if/when we'll see a DC jackpot in a HECS.

Yes, and while PD1 is remembered as an eastern suburb bullseye, the NW suburbs up through at least Gaithersburg did very very well. 18-20".

It depends on the cold to me. I have had 12 inch storms that were terrible for the roads because of the cold. I had 20 inches with the March 2013 storm and it was gone in 2 days.

Really? Back then you said it was about 14" or so. I think WinterWxLuvr got a foot but I recall him not being happy about it.

Jokes aside, fairly widespread 18"+ totals is good. Shuts down the neighborhood streets until a plow comes through. One of my neighbors has an F250 with a plow and he will plow a strip on the street as long as it's not over 15-18". He plowed for us during Feb 2014 no problem.

I think 12" widespread is pretty manageable in general across the region. Once you cross the 18" mark it gets pretty complicated getting things cleaned up.

Archived