joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 8-9th Miller Boom or Bust Disco

Bob Chill

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Took a break from models for most of the afternoon and eve. Reading the thread it looks like that was smart. Lol

Para euro is a fairly uniform .3-.4" qpf. The only suspect part is NEMD doesn't get crushed. Cecil county is kinda dry.

Euro can be stingy with precip sometimes. Not saying this is the case this time but it's certainly not infallible. Especially with micro scale stuff like we are likely going to see.

I'm just glad to still be in the game. How this breaks for folks south of 70 will have more to do with temps than precip. If there is a big lull on Tuesday during the day and temps spike into the mid to upper 30's then it's lights out for good accumulations obviously. Unless some convective uber band takes over. And I'm not even going to make a wag where that happens.

0z has been kind so far. Hard not to feel ok overall for having "an event" and not a total bust.

I think he meant the QPF max is drier compared to the 18z run, which gave southern PA widespread 10"+ totals. 

But it's certainly a better run for our forum.

Yup, total qpf has been going down all day (with the possible exception of the 12z to 18z runs).  It might not be obvious because the 18z run shifted more of the qpf into PA, but the 00z run is clearly drier.

Friend is on Anthem and posted this two hours ago.

"We are on the Anthem right now, left NY yesterday, we sailed in a storm that intensified very quickly, Captain tried to turn ship but waited too long. We have been stuck in 125+ mph winds 30+ foot waves for 4 hours. Captain said they are in communication with the coast guard, struggling to point ship into wind but can't move forward. All passengers told to stay in cabins water entered ship on upper decks, large white structure broke off top of ship landed in pool. At the height of storm waves breaking above the top of life boats and ship listing almost 45 degrees, with wind looked like a total white out. Conditions are improving but damage all over ship, crew look concerned and sounded very concerned on intracom. Some passengers sitting in muster stations."

A cruise ship listing 45 degrees? Highly doubtful unless it's sinking. Regardless, I wouldn't want to be on that ship

A cruise ship listing 45 degrees? Highly doubtful unless it's sinking. Regardless, I wouldn't want to be on that ship

the obs from that post are are hyperbole. Winds and waves are not that sustained for 4 hours. Ship lists that much and the First Wolrdies are down in Davey Jones locker fighting ove the last of the shrimp cocktail and remaining air pockets.

Anybody that books a February cruise out of NY needs to better travel agent

Nice set-up for anywhere north of I-95, my guess is 4-8 inches fairly widespread north of DC and BAL, 2-4 in the cities, pockets of 8 to 12 near MD-PA border and 3-6 in Philly, most of s NJ. Very sharp southern cutoff seems likely, once this starts I think it's just cold enough to manage to stay mostly snow except very close to Bay and Ocean.

Archived