Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 8-9th Miller Boom or Bust Disco

Bob Chill

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Matt

You're in a good spot if we take Euro temps verbatim...You're 32 or below from around 11pm Monday evening until Noon on Tuesday...and even after that you don't get higher than 33-34....If you even started as rain, you'd be snow pretty quickly...Based on the models, I think some localized areas could get 6-8"+....I'd tend to think the jackpot areas might be more toward the northern edges of the Euro QPF...somewhere near the M/D line into southern PA makes sense to me....I definitely wouldn't want to be on the southern edge of the good QPF....could be a nasty 34 degree -SN screw zone especially around my precise backyard...

You're in a good spot if we take Euro temps verbatim...You're 32 or below from around 11pm Monday evening until Noon on Tuesday...and even after that you don't get higher than 33-34....If you even started as rain, you'd be snow pretty quickly...Based on the models, I think some localized areas could get 6-8"+....I'd tend to think the jackpot areas might be more toward the northern edges of the Euro QPF...somewhere near the M/D line into southern PA makes sense to me....I definitely wouldn't want to be on the southern edge of the good QPF....could be a nasty 34 degree -SN screw zone especially around my precise backyard...

Yeah. I agree with everything you mentioned. My thoughts exactly. I work the overnight tomorrow night into Tuesday morning too, so I'll be keeping tabs on the radar trends and giving my obs. I'm staying in HGR instead of Germantown cause I dont want to be traveling tired in that shiz Tuesday morning. Plus, I like my spot anyway lol

I still think DC can get an inch or two out of it with some snow tv through the day. Finally feel like winter outside the HECS. Upcoming week looks dang cold too.

50% increase in precip totals from 12 to 0z. I posted earlier that I thought the euro can be stingy at times. Let's hope 0z is still too stingy. Lol

The thing about this storm is the Euro drawn out bias is actually corroborated by the GFS...certainly both models could be dragging it out too long, but this is a protracted event.  Like 6pm tomorrow - mid evening on Tuesday......Tuesday morning could be real nasty...

The thing about this storm is the Euro drawn out bias is actually corroborated by the GFS...certainly both models could be dragging it out too long, but this is a protracted event. Like 6pm tomorrow - mid evening on Tuesday......Tuesday morning could be real nasty...

I started thinking about the 1-2 punch evolution a day or 2 ago. The euro was showing it I think on Friday. Globals smooth that stuff and meso's like the RGEM are more distinct right now.

I'm not in a favored area regardless of qpf and I'm good with that. Comes with the territory just like your yard. Seeing the bump with the euro answers a lot of questions at this point. This is most likely going to be a measurable event. Good stuff.

FREDERICK MD-CARROLL-NORTHERN BALTIMORE-SOUTHERN BALTIMORE-
ANNE ARUNDEL-NORTHWEST MONTGOMERY-NORTHWEST HOWARD-
CENTRAL AND SOUTHEAST HOWARD-NORTHWEST HARFORD-SOUTHEAST HARFORD-
346 AM EST MON FEB 8 2016

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH LATE
TUESDAY NIGHT...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BALTIMORE MD/WASHINGTON HAS
ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE
TONIGHT THROUGH LATE TUESDAY NIGHT.

* HAZARD TYPE...SNOW WITH PERIODS OF HEAVY SNOW.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 6 TO 9 INCHES.

* TIMING...PRECIPITATION WILL BEGIN LATER TODAY...INITIALLY AS
RAIN OR A RAIN/SNOW MIX. THE PRECIPITATION WILL TRANSITION TO
ALL SNOW TONIGHT AND LAST THROUGH TUESDAY NIGHT...WITH PERIODS
OF HEAVY SNOW DURING THIS TIME.

* IMPACTS...ROADS WILL BECOME SNOW COVERED...RESULTING IN
HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS.

* WINDS...NORTHWEST 5 TO 10 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE LOWER 30S.

06Z NAM has a much more reasonable look then the 00Z NE MD super jackpot it was depicting. Still has the NE MD jackpot of an inch but has smoothed the look out and has increased precip totals a good bit area wide. Looking at the snowfall compared to the precip map though suggests there are somewhat serious issues with temps especially south. 06Z GFS has pretty much held serve vs the 00z run with probably nothing more then noise displayed.

RGEM and GFS remain steady and dump over CMD down to DC. NWS pulling trigger after seeing the overnight runs. Looks cold too for the cities and burbs with of course the burbs remaining cold through probably 95% of the precip.

I like a general 3-6" with as much as 10-12" in the. Most persistent bands, namely north of I70 across Carroll, Baltimore Co., Harford and southwest Cecil. Time for best precip and rates looks to start early morning hours Tuesday and last into early PM before gradual diminishing from west to east. Where ever the LLJ sets aim at will be the victor in terms of best snowfall.

Mt airy jack isn't very surprising. I would guess the east aspects of parrs are looking pretty good.

1100' elevation max just north of I-70. Some hilltop could see 10", while the rest of us struggle to get an inch on mulch.

The two big takeaways for everyone north of the ICC in MD is the nudge up in QPF and trend towards colder guidance. Maybe we'll get lucky and see another bump towards a colder solution today. Almost no chance we see a wider coverage in precip, norluns just don't do that (duh), but maybe we can see more folks stay below the freezing mark.

Hi res NAM should make the DC/Balt corridor happy. Substantially wetter then the 00z run and it pulls the NE MD jackpot from the reg NAM south to where the jackpot runs in the DC/Balt corridor. Again looking at snowfall maps suggest some issues with temps, especially south, but if they can be overcome the run suggests a warning criteria through central MD with up to 10 inches around Balt. All and all a very nice run.

Archived