• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 5 quick hitting obs

Typhoon Tip

5,000+ people without power at one point in my town of about 7,500. Limb was down all day on my road. cars were going off the road all day near it.

Today was a 5 sheer pin day for my snow thrower. Yup...5 SHEER PINS. I sometimes go multiple seasons without breaking one, but today was the winner. The combination of the rain, and spring like ground conditions moving the rocks around on the surface followed by the snow brought about the perfect sheer pin storm. One rock is still wedged in there. I will have to try and drill it out tomorrow.

Congrats on everything

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a corridor

..TOLLAND COUNTY...

COVENTRY 14.3 456 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

2 NW STAFFORD SPRING 13.0 419 PM 2/05 CO-OP OBSERVER

STAFFORD SPRINGS 12.8 135 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

TOLLAND 12.0 148 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

COLUMBIA 11.8 226 PM 2/05 HAM RADIO

...WINDHAM COUNTY...

POMFRET CENTER 12.6 240 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

WOODSTOCK 12.5 323 PM 2/05 HAM RADIO

POMFRET 11.0 348 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

STERLING 11.0 414 PM 2/05 HAM RADIO

SOUTH KILLINGLY 11.0 501 PM 2/05 HAM RADIO

1 W POMFRET LANDING 10.8 429 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

THOMPSON 10.5 110 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

HAMPTON 10.0 320 PM 2/05 NONE

EAST KILLINGLY 9.2 313 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

MOOSUP 9.0 345 PM 2/05 SOCIAL MEDIA

BROOKLYN 8.0 413 PM 2/05 HAM RADIO

ASHFORD 7.7 1134 AM 2/05 HAM RADIO

PUTNAM 7.5 1137 AM 2/05 HAM RADIO

MASSACHUSETTS

...WORCESTER COUNTY...

3 WNW WORCESTER 12.5 336 PM 2/05 AIRPORT

STERLING 11.6 201 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

WORCESTER 11.0 1227 PM 2/05 HAM RADIO

SOUTHBRIDGE 11.0 322 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

BOYLSTON 11.0 338 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

AUBURN 10.8 321 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

SHREWSBURY 10.8 433 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

BERLIN 10.8 119 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

LEOMINSTER 10.2 331 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

LUNENBURG 10.1 155 PM 2/

I need to become a trained spotter.  That Brooklyn spot was probably in the valley somewhere near Danielson.  I take pride and care with my measurements.  Yes, I had a 11" here, which included one clearing after 6 hours.  What a joke. Sucks.

I am closer to Pomfret Landing, and maybe that Pomfret location on the north end of town.

There was a corridor

..TOLLAND COUNTY...

COVENTRY 14.3 456 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

2 NW STAFFORD SPRING 13.0 419 PM 2/05 CO-OP OBSERVER

STAFFORD SPRINGS 12.8 135 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

TOLLAND 12.0 148 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

COLUMBIA 11.8 226 PM 2/05 HAM RADIO

...WINDHAM COUNTY...

POMFRET CENTER 12.6 240 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

WOODSTOCK 12.5 323 PM 2/05 HAM RADIO

POMFRET 11.0 348 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

STERLING 11.0 414 PM 2/05 HAM RADIO

SOUTH KILLINGLY 11.0 501 PM 2/05 HAM RADIO

1 W POMFRET LANDING 10.8 429 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

THOMPSON 10.5 110 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

HAMPTON 10.0 320 PM 2/05 NONE

EAST KILLINGLY 9.2 313 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

MOOSUP 9.0 345 PM 2/05 SOCIAL MEDIA

BROOKLYN 8.0 413 PM 2/05 HAM RADIO

ASHFORD 7.7 1134 AM 2/05 HAM RADIO

PUTNAM 7.5 1137 AM 2/05 HAM RADIO

MASSACHUSETTS

...WORCESTER COUNTY...

3 WNW WORCESTER 12.5 336 PM 2/05 AIRPORT

STERLING 11.6 201 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

WORCESTER 11.0 1227 PM 2/05 HAM RADIO

SOUTHBRIDGE 11.0 322 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

BOYLSTON 11.0 338 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

AUBURN 10.8 321 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

SHREWSBURY 10.8 433 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

BERLIN 10.8 119 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

LEOMINSTER 10.2 331 PM 2/05 TRAINED SPOTTER

LUNENBURG 10.1 155 PM 2/

Could you maybe post the other counties too? You're so Tolland centric. ;)

5,000+ people without power at one point in my town of about 7,500. Limb was down all day on my road. cars were going off the road all day near it.

Today was a 5 sheer pin day for my snow thrower. Yup...5 SHEER PINS. I sometimes go multiple seasons without breaking one, but today was the winner. The combination of the rain, and spring like ground conditions moving the rocks around on the surface followed by the snow brought about the perfect sheer pin storm. One rock is still wedged in there. I will have to try and drill it out tomorrow.

Ah, I walked the dog paths yesterday with a flash light then did a second walk through about 7 am in the snow. I did however somehow catch a mat but luckily killed the power. Took me an hour to hand cut it out.I spent as much time picking up branches as cleaning snow. Sorry about your blower.

I need to become a trained spotter.  That Brooklyn spot was probably in the valley somewhere near Danielson.  I take pride and care with my measurements.  Yes, I had a 11" here, which included one clearing after 6 hours.  What a joke. Sucks.

I am closer to Pomfret Landing, and maybe that Pomfret location on the north end of town.

What makes your higher total better than their lower total? Probably more people where they are.

He was showing the Max zones

He really has it out for Kev. Guessing there's some history there.

What makes your higher total better than their lower total? Probably more people where they are.

He really has it out for Kev. Guessing there's some history there.

lol.  "better"?  I never said it was better.  I think I would like to know where the totals are taken from.  Not the actual address, but something that narrows it down a bit more.  There can be a broad range from one part of a town to another. 

Last year during the big January blizzard, NBC was stationed in probably the worst micro snow holes in our town.  I know that it was probably because of the motel being there, but that location in my town is the equivalent of taking a total at Logan and saying it represents Boston. 

Interesting change of snow consistency while plowing. My inlaws in Mansfield Depot (near Coventry) had about 12 inches of powder. On the flip side, in Willington, the snow was very wet paste and compacted to 6" by the time I got to some places. Crazy. Nice surprise though, day off from teaching to go push some snow! Time to play in it tomorrow.

lol. "better"? I never said it was better. I think I would like to know where the totals are taken from. Not the actual address, but something that narrows it down a bit more. There can be a broad range from one part of a town to another.

Last year during the big January blizzard, NBC was stationed in probably the worst micro snow holes in our town. I know that it was probably because of the motel being there, but that location in my town is the equivalent of taking a total at Logan and saying it represents Boston.

I was just wondering why they should have taken your total over the other one. Do you think the other one is wrong?

lol.  "better"?  I never said it was better.  I think I would like to know where the totals are taken from.  Not the actual address, but something that narrows it down a bit more.  There can be a broad range from one part of a town to another. 

Last year during the big January blizzard, NBC was stationed in probably the worst micro snow holes in our town.  I know that it was probably because of the motel being there, but that location in my town is the equivalent of taking a total at Logan and saying it represents Boston. 

We have issues reporting storms here as well. Danbury DOT is always low on storms and then sometimes you get random public reports that are high and dont make sense. And it sucks that our international airport doesn't report either. 

I need to become a trained spotter. That Brooklyn spot was probably in the valley somewhere near Danielson. I take pride and care with my measurements. Yes, I had a 11" here, which included one clearing after 6 hours. What a joke. Sucks.

I was two inches lower than everyone around me. It's extremely possible there was a period of an exhaust zone from me to Brooklyn. Also you can tweet NWS Boston to @WX1BOX or send in through their website. Your town covers a very large geographical area. I remember you doubting my current obs last year because you were in Plainfield,same town as me 10 miles away

Interesting change of snow consistency while plowing. My inlaws in Mansfield Depot (near Coventry) had about 12 inches of powder. On the flip side, in Willington, the snow was very wet paste and compacted to 6" by the time I got to some places. Crazy. Nice surprise though, day off from teaching to go push some snow! Time to play in it tomorrow.

nice account, w/e are probably the same

Archived