Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
GHD III possible Winter Storm February 1st-3rd

Thundersnow12

Nice Hawkeye.

Baroclinic zone gets pushed farther south by that low south of Hudson Bay. How far south that gets and how much height building goes on behind it is the key to this puzzle imo.

CMC has gotten quite a few tracks correct this winter.

235_100.gif

236_100.gif

595_100.gif

I'll post some color maps when they come up.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really don't get how anyone in IA is already throwing in the towel lol

Still 120hrs before any flakes

Yeah really. GFS is now the most NW and warmest for eastern Iowa.

I think CID stands a much better chance at big snowfall numbers than here.

Neutral tilt, even slightly positive still on the CMC until central Oklahoma this time.

gem_z500a_us_21.png

A few differences i saw on GGEM vs GFS....

HP on the backside of the trough in the SW was a bit stronger on the GGEM...

The vort along the west Canadian coast at H42 was stronger on the GGEM compared to the GFS

And the high to the north is stronger on the GGEM. 

Warm front stays south of I-80.

gem_T850_us_22.png

acckucherasnowmw.png

12z GEFS ticked colder, obviously lots of deep members/rainers but the entire baroclinic zone running from the plaints into the lakes took a baby step southeast, h5 heights are lower across the east as well. Could be noise but there is a lot of time left for small incremental changes like this to add up.

12z GEFS ticked colder, obviously lots of deep members/rainers but the entire baroclinic zone running from the plaints into the lakes took a baby step southeast, h5 heights are lower across the east as well. Could be noise but there is a lot of time left for small incremental changes like this to add up.

Hopefully the GFS runs are the farthest NW we see the possibilities go, and then things start shifting SE. Seems like many of the models are starting to do so.

Interesting to see the GEFS go from very scattered on the 6Z to more consolidated in the Illinois area. I'd gladly take the 2 that are way over in Ohio!

Looks like I will be making a trip to the Lake Erie shoreline....850's are NUTS...could be an impressive wind/wave event.

gfs_mslp_uv850_neus_24.png

Haven't taken too close a look but assuming these winds are in the warm sector I don't think anything much over 40-50kts will mix down to the surface. Still, the moisture transport from that kind of LLJ will be huge.

Ontario low this weekend coming in strong again. 984mb north/northwest of Thunder Bay.

Much stronger than 24 hours ago as it goes by James Bay.

sfcmslpconus.png

Heights in northern Plains are rising quicker this run.

sfcmslpconus.png

ecmwf_T850_us_5.png

^Cold air is deeper over WI and MN compared to the last 12z run at this hour.

The Quebec low?

sfcmslpconus.png

nah, he's talking about how the models keep closing off the upper level low practically over the rockies which keeps pulling the SLP hard left...it's been consistently modeled...we can talk about better cooling and highs in canada all day but as long as that closes off so far west/north, it's over.

nah, he's talking about how the models keep closing off the upper level low practically over the rockies which keeps pulling the SLP hard left...it's been consistently modeled...we can talk about better cooling and highs in canada all day but as long as that closes off so far west/north, it's over.

Thanks, I wasn't sure where/what he was looking.

Sounds like what the EURO was doing with the west tracks before 12/28.

I heard the low enters SW Iowa, weakens, and then it jumps east 

Archived