• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
GHD III possible Winter Storm February 1st-3rd

Thundersnow12

I think model support for a western cut (approx over NE IL) is excellent at this point, the GEFS slp mean (for many runs in a row) and the Euro are in agreement. Looking at h5 between 84-120 hrs you can really see how the pac jet pushes the trough east causing heights over the plains to rise and preventing the baroclinic zone from sagging in wake of the initial low.

gfs_namer_090_500_vort_ht.gif

gfs_namer_090_200_wnd_ht.gif

That's okay. If it stays cold enough for the WAA précip to be snow IOBY. Big if.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still time for things to change but based on how the models have been handling this storm aloft the last 6-7 runs, unless I see the sfc low travel through LA/MS, it's almost certainly going to be crud imby.

I don't see much hope for Toronto either. Too much model consistency with us well in the warm sector. Cold and dry periods followed by rainstorms... story of this winter. The worst.

One day, Toronto will get a snow storm... out of Chicago, Detroit and Toronto, we are definitely the big losers this decade.

i haven't really paid much attention to front end prospects, kind of boring but i guess it's notable to see the euro rather bullish

To me, this is the type of storm-given moisture transport- could be a little more interesting. Sort of like the Valentines Day storm back in the late '80's. Of course, if my recollection is correct that moisture was heading into a retreating arctic high. Not the case here. Still, if the low goes overhead you could hope for a 4-6 inch thump before dry slot and a couple wind blown inches on the backside. Given this winter, beggars can't be choosers.

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1990/Chicagoans-Brave-February-Blizzard-Like-Conditions-With-AM-Storm-Rdp-Bjt/id-24ae6810e5baa59c6c4ee6a97fb182ca

Note the warmth prior to the storm. Not sure if it was an El Niño year.

To me, this is the type of storm-given moisture transport- could be a little more interesting. Sort of like the Valentines Day storm back in the late '80's. Of course, if my recollection is correct that moisture was heading into a retreating arctic high. Not the case here. Still, if the low goes overhead you could hope for a 4-6 inch thump before dry slot and a couple wind blown inches on the backside. Given this winter, beggars can't be choosers.

go big or go home

Seems the EPS mean is nudging the slp a bit farther east, versus prior runs. Though knowing what happens in-between hours 120 and 144 would be helpful (does the track zig zag, reform, etc). Of course, where the mid-level lows track is also kinda crucial. Probably too early for people like hawkeye/cyclone/NE IL & S WI crews to completely abandon hope. Regardless of outcome, if things end up poorly...I hope the mod/heavy cold rains miss MBY. :)

post-68-0-62920900-1453991250_thumb.png

post-68-0-10309900-1453991262_thumb.png

feeling the south trend mojo :weenie:

it's real....fwiw, i'm in the bullish camp...BUT, if it cuts west of us I hope to watch a full fledged big dog bomb for wisco and iowa and Minnesota....

for the local IMBY'ers....it's not like we are trying to drag a modeled nor-easter to become a lakes cutter.  This storm is quite doable still imo

To me, this is the type of storm-given moisture transport- could be a little more interesting. Sort of like the Valentines Day storm back in the late '80's. Of course, if my recollection is correct that moisture was heading into a retreating arctic high. Not the case here. Still, if the low goes overhead you could hope for a 4-6 inch thump before dry slot and a couple wind blown inches on the backside. Given this winter, beggars can't be choosers.http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1990/Chicagoans-Brave-February-Blizzard-Like-Conditions-With-AM-Storm-Rdp-Bjt/id-24ae6810e5baa59c6c4ee6a97fb182ca

Note the warmth prior to the storm. Not sure if it was an El Niño year.

This was pretty big.

I don't see much hope for Toronto either. Too much model consistency with us well in the warm sector. Cold and dry periods followed by rainstorms... story of this winter. The worst.

One day, Toronto will get a snow storm... out of Chicago, Detroit and Toronto, we are definitely the big losers this decade.

El Nino winter. We knew this going in.

Seems like south central WI always winds up with a mix from systems like this so am happy to see the  EPS with a south ward shift even if it might mean less precip. for us.

If you did a composite ensemble of the GEPS, EPS, and GEFS it would show the center tracking into south west lower Michigan.

I think I could live with that.Too bad they don't make an ensemble out of more then one model as they do with the NAEFS which I note keeps Madison 850 temp at -4 with Chicago close to 0 thru the whole event.

NAEFS I think is combination of GEFS, GEPS, and one other  ensemble model. I'm told the other ensemble model is the Mexican. Not sure if that is true as I have never heard of or seen any reputed Mexican out put.

Anyone one here know just what goes into the NAEFS?

El Nino winter. We knew this going in.

Of course we knew this, but it is disappointing that we haven't had a legit big dog since Feb 2013. And before then, 2008? It's felt a bit like west of Detroit and east of Buffalo seems to be snowmaggedon the last couple of winters, with us left in meagreness.

Seems the EPS mean is nudging the slp a bit farther east, versus prior runs. Though knowing what happens in-between hours 120 and 144 would be helpful (does the track zig zag, reform, etc). Of course, where the mid-level lows track is also kinda crucial. Probably too early for people like hawkeye/cyclone/NE IL & S WI crews to completely abandon hope. Regardless of outcome, if things end up poorly...I hope the mod/heavy cold rains miss MBY. :)

attachicon.gifeps 120.png

attachicon.gifeps 144.png

THAT is more or less where the storm needs to be to have a chance at some snow here

attachicon.gifeps 120.png

attachicon.gifeps 144.png

That's workable.

Once we get more data on all the moving parts, this storm has a good chance of moving one way or another.

Archived