wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
GHD III possible Winter Storm February 1st-3rd

Thundersnow12

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And then it goes almost straight north into the high...

Occludes also.

ecmwf_T850_us_8.png

the signal at h5 for rapid deepening has been obvious for days now, this will likely go boom and a hard left turn like that isn't unheard of...we just need digging to delay the inevitable long enough for the baroclinic zone to ease south. I think there is some good reason to suspect that will happen to some degree in future runs.

famous last words prior to almost every bomb around here

large highs be damned, that kind of h5 look with strong jet and open gulf is going to cut hard into it

Not saying it won't occlude but when it does it isn't going to keep driving north. especially with a strong elongated high. That is just doesn't happen. Bombs don't drive into highs they form on the backside of them as the high moves off to the east. This has the high right over top blocking the road. The weakness in the high is to the east, not the north.

the signal at h5 for rapid deepening has been obvious for days now, this will likely go boom and a hard left turn like that isn't unheard of...we just need digging to delay the inevitable long enough for the baroclinic zone to ease south. I think there is some good reason to suspect that will happen to some degree in future runs.

Remember what the EURO did initially with the sleet storm. It was so persistent cutting the low too far west for days, while the GFS and GGEM came to a track agreement fairly quickly.

I'd have to go back and look but I don't remember the exact solutions 

EURO was persistent with bringing the low into central and even western Iowa at times. This map was the 12z run snow map from the 24th.

post-7389-0-08034600-1453921194_thumb.pn

It stayed like this until Sunday 12z.

GGEM had the heaviest snow in eastern Iowa over Hawkeye for at least three runs.

This was the 18z run of the NAM on Sunday the 27th!

It agreed with the EURO until the last minute.

post-7389-0-06172600-1453921388_thumb.gi

For anyone wanting a refresher, the low passed over Chicago.

I really don't believe the low will barrel basically due north into the high as the Euro says... I'd imagine the Low would track over to the north east into Indiana and then Michigan in that situation, which would be good for our area depending on where the low tracks in the in the plains. Euro isn't realistic imo. 

From what I heard, the ULL (euro) acts to pull back the surface low to the west in Iowa. I think something like that was shown in the days leading up to the sleet storm - except it was doing that in western Iowa.

Low goes from just west of STL to WSW of CID, then back NE.

I will say the 0z Euro para track seems a bit more realistic but we'll see.

It goes ENE from about Woodward, OK with no zig zagging. Moves over STL/SPI then SBN/srn MI

We saw a lot of bouncy positions of the surface low with the Dec 28 storm iirc, in part due to convection. I haven't checked the Euro in detail but could that explain what's going on?

Another thing, several Euro members with 6-12" front end thumps even with the sfc low passing overhead here or just west. They juiced in the QPF department on the front end compared to the op run 

Can you see where the low starts occluding on any of the members?

Another thing, several Euro members with 6-12" front end thumps even with the sfc low passing overhead here or just west. They juiced in the QPF department on the front end compared to the op run

Wxbell maps? Just asking since they are notorious for not differentiating sleet/ice from snow.

Archived