SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
GHD III possible Winter Storm February 1st-3rd

Thundersnow12

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I imagine our two options are a northwest track with a strong storm of heavy snow in Iowa/northern WI,UP.....or a track southeast like the DGEX and GEFS show and a weaker system. Seeing how systems have been, if it takes the southeast route, it will probably be lame and not nearly as strong as a northern Great Lakes hit.

Maybe not...look at some of the GEFS members that were just posted...some pretty strong ones with more southerly tracks.

Maybe not...look at some of the GEFS members that were just posted...some pretty strong ones with more southerly tracks.

This, misconception with this event that south for sure means a weaker solution. That is not the case. 

Think you could make a case for more QPF on the cold side if you get a further SE sfc low to tap some better moisture 

With the exception of a couple of the above runs, MBY looks like it comes in on the moderate side.  Lots of solutions between 4"-12" with a couple on the higher end of that, and one showing less than 4".   

So, we will just have to see what happens.  Definitely going to the store for salt, and whatnot tomorrow. 

This, misconception with this event that south for sure means a weaker solution. That is not the case. 

Think you could make a case for more QPF on the cold side if you get a further SE sfc low to tap some better moisture

It's not a misconception with this event. It is what happens often with these lows that have moved on a path similar to what some of the farther southeast solutions are showing.

So many good ones to choose from!

#19 is the best, but any of these are good: 3, 4, 7, 8, 11, 14, 15, 18, 20.

Some of those sure are beautiful!

So many good ones to choose from!

#19 is the best, but any of these are good: 3, 4, 7, 8, 11, 14, 15, 18, 20.

Some of those sure are nice!

Lurking in the thread from Kansas. Obvious interest in this upcoming event. We were burned by the storm post-Christmas with suppression. The high pressure drained colder air in than forecast and the stronger El Ninos tend to keep the jet farther south...so those are a couple of things to consider with future model analysis.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

I wouldn't stress over a "lame" southern solution especially if you're east of guidance because as of right now it can't get much lamer for those of us that are..

With no real strong blocking if you will, I find it hard to phantom a real lame solution playing out if your are on the right side of the system.

It's not "obvious" if it hasn't happened or there isn't evidence to back it up.

It's not "obvious" if it hasn't happened or there isn't evidence to back it up.

It's really obvious sooo. East doesn't = weak. That's a fact. What were debating on it which path the Low takes in regard to the wind stream and other high pressures and other factors, not the strength of the storm.

I wouldn't stress over a "lame" southern solution especially if you're east of guidance because as of right now it can't get much lamer for those of us that are..

With no real strong blocking if you will, I find it hard to phantom a real lame solution playing out if your are on the right side of the system.

Oh, I don't think it would be weak either if my location is on the east side of the system. I was talking about whether the low actually goes farther southeast and much of us are on the left side of the system.

It's really obvious sooo. East doesn't = weak. That's a fact. What were debating on it which path the Low takes in regard to the wind stream and other high pressures and other factors, not the strength of the storm.

No, not really that obvious. At least not recently. Correction: Never mind, I think I get what you're saying.

00z NAM continues the idea of a stronger Sunday/Sunday night system, with much stronger cold advection in its wake. Will be interesting to see if GFS follows, since 18z run went that route. If the baroclinic zone gets shunted well south, that would at the least increase chances of a notable front end thump for northern IL/possibly NW IN and far southern WI even if main SLP track is not as favorable.

e7ffb3908a158c5523477ea8f50b0f15.jpg

Saw some posts earlier about the 12z Euro and there were no sneaky warm layers at onset for I-80 and north, so precip would start as snow on that run then transition to sleet then ZR and rain. ZR could be a problem for interior portions of far northern IL later into the day Tuesday if surface warm front doesn't make it up there with something like a Euro track.

00z NAM continues the idea of a stronger Sunday/Sunday night system, with much stronger cold advection in its wake. Will be interesting to see if GFS follows, since 18z run went that route. If the baroclinic zone gets shunted farther south, that would at the least increase chances of a notable front end thump for northern IL and far southern WI even if main SLP track is not as favorable. e7ffb3908a158c5523477ea8f50b0f15.jpg

Saw some posts earlier about the 12z Euro and there were no sneaky warm layers at onset for I-80 and north, so precip would start as snow on that run then transition to sleet then ZR and rain. ZR could be a problem for interior portions of far northern IL if surface warm front doesn't make it up there.

Helluva a pm AFD.....One of the best I've seen in reading them for a long time.

Helluva a pm AFD.....One of the best I've seen in reading them for a long time.

Thanks! I hoped it wasn't too long a read to get some of the most important parts in about notable trends on the guidance and how it could affect things. Wish it wasn't the last AFD I'll be writing for this event, unless I'm called in to help out.

Archived