• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 2016 Medium/Long Range Disco

Bob Chill

The 114-120 panels had me believing it was gonna come further north than 12z.  Still seems close enough to keep an eye on, although if we did get a good track it still might be rain for the cities.   

Def close enough to keep an eye on IMO... esp with that H in Quebec hanging back long enough if we can get it to speed up a bit

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 114-120 panels had me believing it was gonna come further north than 12z.  Still seems close enough to keep an eye on, although if we did get a good track it still might be rain for the cities.   

This setup looks very similar to 1/25/00. It's got a lot of moving parts that are all changing every run. If any model is within 50 miles 48hrs out it will mark a  big improvement in the last 16 years.

Para euro is similar to the op with the miller b idea but further east with the coastal. Only hits eastern CT/LI. Boston gets hit pretty good. Also has the same micro band in central VA. It's a skip for us though.

18z GEFS kinda stinks all the way around.

Yeah, didn't see much on the Gfs ens to get excited about.

I have to say this seems like a crazy situation for the next 7-10. I don't have access to as much info as you, but it seems there are widely varying solutions across the models.

BTW, any notion on why the para gfs hasn't updated?

Yeah, didn't see much on the Gfs ens to get excited about.

I have to say this seems like a crazy situation for the next 7-10. I don't have access to as much info as you, but it seems there are widely varying solutions across the models.

BTW, any notion on why the para gfs hasn't updated?

Crazy indeed. Enthusiasm is a short-lived thing around here. I wonder what the 0z runs have in store for us. I see that the 18z GFS brings back the idea it had a few days ago with a storm popping up along the cold front going thru the mid-atlantic tomorrow. Maybe tonights run will show us a coastal on Friday.

I've seen the euro ensembles jump on a snowy solution similar to the op at this range. And then if the op loses it so do the ensembles. If we can string together another 3-4 euro ens runs there is reason to be cautiously optimistic.

I'm pretty skeptical of scoring on a same latitude jump to the coast. We have a long history here at finding a way to fail at those.

However, I'm feeling pretty good at the next 2 weeks as a whole. I would say the odds favor another shot at something in the d10 - 15 range. We have a legit block on ens guidance. It doesn't hold for long on the means but just having a drop and rise of the ao/nao keeps things interesting

Crazy indeed. Enthusiasm is a short-lived thing around here. I wonder what the 0z runs have in store for us. I see that the 18z GFS brings back the idea it had a few days ago with a storm popping up along the cold front going thru the mid-atlantic tomorrow. Maybe tonights run will show us a coastal on Friday.

Per 21z srefs, this much falls after -4C 850 temp line reaches dca/bwi. Surface temps look to be around 33-35, but that's a guestimate.

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?fhr=081ℑ=data%2Fsref%2F21%2Fsref_namer_081_precip_p24.gif&model=sref&area=namer&param=precip_p24&group=Model+Guidance&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20160202+21+UTC&imageSize=M&ps=model

Isn't that about 2-4 in your neck of the woods?

That is a huge jump.

It looks like the GFS, and the models in general, are having a tough time with this setup because of that vort down south. They don't know if they want to phase it with the energy diving down from Canada or what.

Looking @ the EURO & some of the ensemble members that crush us, we want that southern vort to get out of the picture as fast a possible, and let that second wave just dig as deep as possible (kind of like the JMA)

It looks like the GFS, and the models in general, are having a tough time with this setup because of that vort down south. They don't know if they want to phase it with the energy diving down from Canada or what.

Looking @ the EURO & some of the ensemble members that crush us, we want that southern vort to get out of the picture as fast a possible, and let that second wave just dig as deep as possible (kind of like the JMA)

JMA drops around .4" qpf around dca/bwi and .5-.6 in your back yard.

The 00z NAM really strong with that initial vort....interesting....This is probably the most confused I've been with the medium/LR in a long time. I have no idea what to root for to get a snowstorm. Really interesting time period. Probably insane for professional mets. right now.

Haha, just said the same thing. I don't even know what I'm looking for right now.

Archived