Most Online
    CntrTim85
    Newest Member
    CntrTim85
Ian

Jan 22-24 blizzard obs, tracking, nowcasting #2

(Great) Blizzard of 2016 Observations

1:30pm--0.0", -SN

2:30pm--0.1", -SN (close to SN, dusting on secondary roads)

3:30pm--0.7", SN (light wind, secondary roads covered, main roads with slushy accumulation)

4:30pm--1.3", SN (same as last update, but with main roads covered now)

5:30pm--1.9", SN (closing in on +SN with dropping visibility, first notable wind gusts appearing)

6:30pm--2.3", SN (everything covered heavily, minor gusts)

7:30pm--3.5", SN (suspect hour, looks like drifting has begun, used multiple neighborhood measurements)

8:30pm--4.3", SN (prior hour ob confirmed, breezy)

9:30pm--5.1", +SN (first legit wind gusts, visibility below 1/4SM)

12:00am--7.1", -SN (50% dendrites, 40% smaller flakes, 10% rimed flakes)

2:00am--10.1", +SN (windy, but below blizzard criteria, below 1/4SM)

4:00am--12.0", +SN (greatest scene since Feb '13, strong wind, +SN and whiteout conditions)

8:30am--16.1", SN (SN+ continued overnight, with some wind and near whiteout conditions, no thundersnow)

10:30am--17.3", -SN (reduced rates, but still coming down even with "weak" radar returns, slight wind, growing drifts)

Last frames on radar show the pull to the south. The dryslot should start filling in and moving east now. Next couple hours should be good through the corridor

I need about another 10 miles, plz k thx.

Thinking about the last two hours, my snow rate dropped back to .6/hr, which has pretty much been the baseline since the start. I'm not sure if I am getting great ratios or just maximizing potential, but to have those kind of rates for this long is pretty wonderful. 

You joke but that rain up in Olney really cut down on totals.

Clear mist here during the lull. I wouldn't call it rain per-say, but there was fine liquid particulates. More flurries picking back up now.

First round of shoveling done while we probably have 15 or 16 inches, its so drifted that most ares have over 2 feet at least in my driveway. Pretty tough going. still coming down and a decent clip, half inch an hour or so and looking heavier now

I am going to have to tape my eyelids open at this point. If DCA is really going to pick up I don't want to miss it. I have had so much coffee I'm shaking.

I see 10 flakes....lol. It's really blowing around though.

16.75" in Pikesville

Just went on a very long walk. Days like this make our obsessive model watching for weeks that nobody else really understands so so worth it

Glad to see it - I measured 17 so we are in line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We should be entering the period where nearly stationary or slow moving bands oriented ne-sw and then n-s. Later everything will start pull east.

the next round could be a significant storm in and of itself.  i'm going 6-10" more to close it out.  maybe high, but think it's possible.