joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/23-24 Randytastic Snowstorm Part 2 STORM MODE THREAD

BxEngine

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going to come down to the banding for us.  If there is a mega band just to our south, we could get stuck in a subsidence zone.  Still think we're good for 4-8 up here with chance for more.

I fear what happened in 2010 in the 2nd storm where LI got hit hard and we were stuck in the subsidence zone for hours. Ended up with 8 in Norwalk but I heard that Fairfield only had about 4. We were predicted to get a foot.

Could we see a huge bust on the low or is it high side. My 10-14" could in fact have to be doubled if many of those models are correct.

If the gfs and euro dont come in with higher amounts that 10-14 will stick

Also the winds are going to be absolutely ripping if this storm tucks and is as strong as the Nam implies.

Idk why everyone is bashing the nam since the nam has had the same solution for several runs.

All of these models require significant resources to update and maintain...if and when their "equations" lose all predictive ability they are scrapped. So there's some point in paying attention to any model that maintains a solution for multiple runs, as one of those "equations" may just be accurately modeling this particular atmospheric configuration.

The 4k NAM pretty much has 18+ for most of LI and NJ. If the RGEM supports it then the NAM's ideas will have a lot more credence.

Can't see the snow maps yet for the RGEM, but looking at the run, it doesn't look nearly as impressive as either NAM model. Looks like maybe 6-10". Very sharp cutoff NW of NYC

Can't see the snow maps yet for the RGEM, but looking at the run, it doesn't look nearly as impressive as either NAM model. Looks like maybe 6-10". Very sharp cutoff NW of NYC

I think the main thing is that it has come NORTH... its not going to make a huge jump... small changes to the north is what we want to see at this point.

A medium range model is "less useful" in the short term?...........what?

Not only that, but they really shouldn't be called "medium range".  They should be called "global".  The current globals run at resolutions that used to be reserved for regional/mesoscale models.  Furthermore, how could a model possibly get the medium range correct if it screws up the short term? 

The RGEM has that insane band over NJ mid morning tomorrow which I think causes subsidence over NYC and hence only those 6-10 inch amounts. If that band isn't there I think there is a greater distribution of higher amounts

Just saw that. Whoever sits in that band will definitely approach the 18-24 inch plateau. Where it locks in is going to be a nailbiter.

The RGEM has that insane band over NJ mid morning tomorrow which I think causes subsidence over NYC and hence only those 6-10 inch amounts. If that band isn't there I think there is a greater distribution of higher amounts

The location of the low on the RGEM is very favorable for big snowfall amounts in NYC.  As it has been for several runs.  Materially further north than 2/2010, which was the nearest of near misses.

Not only that, but they really shouldn't be called "medium range".  They should be called "global".  The current globals run at resolutions that used to be reserved for regional/mesoscale models.  Furthermore, how could a model possibly get the medium range correct if it screws up the short term? 

Do you have any idea why there's a big difference b/w the regional/mesocale and globals with this storm?  You'd probably know better than anyone.  I've never seen the GFS and ECWMF in a camp together arrayed against the others . . .

Archived