Newest Member
    joxey
1/23-24 Randytastic Snowstorm Part 2 STORM MODE THREAD

BxEngine

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/GSSLOOPS/ecwv.html

The confluence is going bye bye my friends.And not 1 model has forecast such a large and powerful storm this early in the game,when it hit's the Atlantic seaboard it might be scary to think how much moisture is going to be pumped back at us from that nice and warm ocean AND A BOMB DEVELOPING.. :weenie:  :sled:

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/GSSLOOPS/ecwv.html

The confluence is going bye bye my friends.And not 1 model has forecast such a large and powerful storm this early in the game,when it hit's the Atlantic seaboard it might be scary to think how much moisture is going to be pumped back at us from that nice and warm ocean AND A BOMB DEVELOPING.. :weenie:  :sled:

yeah you can clearly see this. All this convection is pumping the ridge out to the east, and allowing the confluence to push north. 

The 0Z Euro was about a 30 mile north shift. WXbell snowfall maps are around

6" to near Bear Mountain...12"....NYC....12-14" LI.....16-18" CNJ. Plenty

of blowing and drifting with wind gusts to 50 mph or more in the blizzard warned areas.

Wow that's pretty significant and the ensembles were even further north and the PARA was even further north then the ensembles.

Man, what a difficult forecast for NY mets! Went to bad kind of feeling down with the 0z RGEM and GFS, nice to see that things trended north. Cant wait to see what the short term models have in store for us.

It's pretty easy for NYC right now. Very tough HPN and north.

NYC consensus is 6"-12"+.

Period.

Wow that's pretty significant and the ensembles were even further north and the PARA was even further north then the ensembles.

This is the first time in recent years that the GFS MOS wind product has sustained 31KT at JFK during

a snowstorm. The only other time I can remember that product going over 30 KT during a snow was

Boxing Day.

Morning mets seemed to have gone down with amounts in northern NJ from last night.

What gives?

Dunno, TWC was saying 6 for NJ and NYC, but NPR is saying 8-12...have been all morning. Blizzard warning is up. Seems they feel we are getting a significant storm, just not the catastrophe unfolding south of here. They did feel he wind was now going to be a real issue.

I'm hearing parts of southern Illinois, Ohio are already expecting to bust high on storm totals due to more expansive northern fringe

NWS just updated, 2-7 inches total for Rockland. Still a watch, no warning. I'm guessing it becomes a winter weather advisory this afternoon. There is going to be a big cutoff over Rockland it would appear

NWS just updated, 2-7 inches total for Rockland. Still a watch, no warning. I'm guessing it becomes a winter weather advisory this afternoon. There is going to be a big cutoff over Rockland it would appear

At this point it's impossible to determine where that line will set up, 20 things can effect it between now and tomorrow, still 24hrs almost

Good write up by NWS. They are 8-12" for NYC and LI. They mentioned Euro and SREFs being around 1" QPF. Using NAM closely for wind profile. Blizzard Warning as most of you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Their probabilities for NYC are hilarious:

Min: <1"

Likely: 9"

Max: 23"

>12" : 47%

>18": 23%

They're basically saying, "your guess is as good as ours!"

The parallel Euro is a little south of the regular Euro.

7 inches in Manhattan, 10-12 in Brooklyn.

The euro is doing an awful job this far.. Look at the parallel HR 6, doesn't even have precip into KY yet, bowling green is already reporting heavy snow... IMO, GFS and euro are both way off on the strength, and precip shields

Archived