joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/23-24 Randytastic Snowstorm Part 2 STORM MODE THREAD

BxEngine

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good lord. Superstorm since everyone is asleep what are your current thoughts for nyc

I have an interview in a few hours with NBC WGAL at 8am, so I'm really focusing on SPA right now. 

However, I think the city is in an excellent spot tonight. I would go with a preliminary 8-15" right now. 

I have an interview in a few hours with NBC WGAL at 8am, so I'm really focusing on SPA right now.

However, I think the city is in an excellent spot tonight. I would go with a preliminary 8-15" right now.

Thanks for the response. Good luck with your interview. I have followed you since the accuweather boards. Some great trends tonight. Water vapor is astonishing

Thanks for the response. Good luck with your interview. I have followed you since the accuweather boards. Some great trends tonight. Water vapor is astonishing

Thanks. I was just a kid back when I started on there in 2006.  

Tomorrow I'm actually going to be collaborating with Joe Calhoun to do an on-air forecast. 

I have to say, these are the most prolific model progs I have ever seen in my eight years of experience. 

f36.gif

Models appear to be coming closer to a concensus. 18z Nam shrinks precip back off of Mass and Hudson Valley towards coast while 00z Euro Expanded the 1"+ precip line to the Bronx and south.. and moderate to light up through northern CT and LHV. Hopefully we see 18z GFS expand precip shield a bit NW as models come into agreement....

Models appear to be coming closer to a concensus. 18z Nam shrinks precip back off of Mass and Hudson Valley towards coast while 00z Euro Expanded the 1"+ precip line to the Bronx and south.. and moderate to light up through northern CT and LHV. Hopefully we see 18z GFS expand precip shield a bit NW as models come into agreement....

Que?

Confluence getting shifted ahead of moisture advection. 

May be some more adjustments tomorrow morning. 

Dont touch that dial!

c330a77b7423630f40cf450b54b28628.gif

Adjustments meaning track moves further north, mixing issues or otherwise? I would love to hear your explanation on this. It is so interesting to see all these moving parts and make sense of it. Thanks so much in advance! 

Adjustments meaning track moves further north, mixing issues or otherwise? I would love to hear your explanation on this. It is so interesting to see all these moving parts and make sense of it. Thanks so much in advance!

More in the way of the system being able to tuck into the coast like the NAM/SREF/ECMWF show, as well as bring a much larger precip field.

The confluence (NW to SE vectors) were the main issue that we had during the period when the models were showing suppression. With that lessening and the moisture field blossoming, I think the global models will be playing catch up.

Best stick to nowcasting. This one is going to have some surprises

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Wow. NAM always shows what we want

It's trying to show a huge frontogenesis band that wrecks and stalls over the entire area

Best news of the night is the euro and euro ens showing NYC getting in on the big time action. There's going to be huge bands on the north side of this thing that the euro wont pick up on.

Blizzard Warning in effect from 4 AM Saturday to noon EST Sunday.

The National Weather Service in Upton has issued a Blizzard Warning, which is in effect from 4 AM Saturday to noon EST Sunday. The Blizzard Watch is no longer in effect.

Locations: the five boroughs of New York City, coastal portions of Northeast New Jersey, and Long Island.

Hazard types: Heavy snow along with strong and potentially damaging winds. Blowing and drifting snow with near zero visibilities is expected Saturday afternoon and evening.

Accumulations: snow accumulation of 6 to 10 inches.

Winds: north 25 to 35 mph with gusts up to 50 mph.

Temperatures: in the upper 20s to low 30s.

Visibilities: one quarter mile or less at times.

Timing: Saturday morning through Sunday afternoon.

Blizzard Warning in effect from 4 AM Saturday to noon EST Sunday.

The National Weather Service in Upton has issued a Blizzard Warning, which is in effect from 4 AM Saturday to noon EST Sunday. The Blizzard Watch is no longer in effect.

Locations: the five boroughs of New York City, coastal portions of Northeast New Jersey, and Long Island.

Hazard types: Heavy snow along with strong and potentially damaging winds. Blowing and drifting snow with near zero visibilities is expected Saturday afternoon and evening.

Accumulations: snow accumulation of 6 to 10 inches.

Winds: north 25 to 35 mph with gusts up to 50 mph.

Temperatures: in the upper 20s to low 30s.

Visibilities: one quarter mile or less at times.

Timing: Saturday morning through Sunday afternoon.

Id image them raising those totals today if everything stays on par

Archived