joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/23-24 Randytastic Snowstorm Part 2 STORM MODE THREAD

BxEngine

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mt. Holly's discussion - seem to think the snow is coming sooner then later...

BASED ON TRENDS IN THE LATEST GUIDANCE, RADAR AND SURFACE
OBSERVATIONS, THE SNOW LOOKS TO COME IN FASTER. THE WORDING IN THE
WINTER HEADLINES WERE UPDATED TO ACCOUNT FOR THE EARLIER ARRIVAL
OF THE SNOW. A SPS WAS ISSUED FOR SOUTH OF PHILLY AS WE ARE
PARTICULARLY CONCERNED WITH THE SNOW STARTING DURING THE
AFTERNOON/EVENING COMMUTE. ONCE THE SNOW STARTS, IT WON`T TAKE
LONG FOR IT TO BECOME MODERATE TO EVEN LOCALLY HEAVY IN INTENSITY.
THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR RATES TO APPROACH 1"/HR IN THE DELMARVA
AND SOUTHERN-MOST PART OF NJ AT THE TAIL END OF RUSH HOUR.

Totals will likely be raised later on especially from the city south.

If everything continues to hold serve or trend north from these 12z runs, everywhere will be upped.  Looking likely at this point this will be a warning snowfall from I-84 SOUTH... with a good chance of 12+ from I-287 South

MAJOR CHANGES SINCE THIS TIME YESTERDAY!!! We all should be very happy about that.  We finally got the GFS, GGEM and EURO on board.  Good to see.

There is still some fine tuning still to go and probably even during the storm.... always the case with the BIG ONES!

You can tell how the dry air is kinda wedged in there east of the mountains:

2xus_rd.gif

I didn't look at the last 2 runs and the HRRR isn't exactly reliable at hour 14 anyway but it did show snow approaching NYC at 03-04z and you could see the echoes were fighting dry air. I think I'll take til 08 or even 09z possible before NYC and vicinity begins snowing

I think there is going to be a large area of over 20 inches . This will rate really high on the scale if this can drive into SNE.

I think this will be a low end 4 if it can deliver in NYC. Boston is out of it for anything more than a lucky inch or two. It would have to deliver for the Boston metro and other SNE metros for it to be much higher than that. PDII was a 4 and it delivered over 2 feet in Boston.

If everything continues to hold serve or trend north from these 12z runs, everywhere will be upped. Looking likely at this point this will be a warning snowfall from I-84 SOUTH... with a good chance of 12+ from I-287 South

MAJOR CHANGES SINCE THIS TIME YESTERDAY!!! We all should be very happy about that. We finally got the GFS, GGEM and EURO on board. Good to see.

There is still some fine tuning still to go and probably even during the storm.... always the case with the BIG ONES!

I'd still be very hesitant talking about 12" or more anywhere north or west of NYC. These positive trends so far have been mostly for Rockland/Westchester and south. Other than the NAM, the far NW suburbs are still shut out.

Personal speculation that might be obvious to folks on this board: if the Euro merely holds serve on its major increases last night, expect to see every forecaster bumping up snowfall amounts significantly this afternoon to something like 8-14" for NYC/LI/NENJ near NYC and 12-20" for Central Jersey with the 12" being near 78 and the 20" being along 195. If the Euro backtracks, we might not see any increased snowfall forecasts. Waiting for 1 pm now...

I'd still be very hesitant talking about 12" or more anywhere north or west of NYC. These positive trends so far have been mostly for Rockland/Westchester and south. Other than the NAM, the far NW suburbs are still shut out.

Well I am right at 287 in NY.... seems to me with the current trends around that area should fall in the 6-12 inch range.

Personal speculation that might be obvious to folks on this board: if the Euro merely holds serve on its major increases last night, expect to see every forecaster bumping up snowfall amounts significantly this afternoon to something like 8-12" for NYC/LI/NENJ near NYC and 12-20" for Central Jersey with the 12" being near 78 and the 20" being along 195. If the Euro backtracks, we might not see any increased snowfall forecasts. Waiting for 1 pm now...

The NWS already increased the NYC forecast to 7 to 12.

Personal speculation that might be obvious to folks on this board: if the Euro merely holds serve on its major increases last night, expect to see every forecaster bumping up snowfall amounts significantly this afternoon to something like 8-12" for NYC/LI/NENJ near NYC and 12-20" for Central Jersey with the 12" being near 78 and the 20" being along 195. If the Euro backtracks, we might not see any increased snowfall forecasts. Waiting for 1 pm now...

Most are already at/near 8-12 for NYC... except some TV outlets.

Personal speculation that might be obvious to folks on this board: if the Euro merely holds serve on its major increases last night, expect to see every forecaster bumping up snowfall amounts significantly this afternoon to something like 8-12" for NYC/LI/NENJ near NYC and 12-20" for Central Jersey with the 12" being near 78 and the 20" being along 195. If the Euro backtracks, we might not see any increased snowfall forecasts. Waiting for 1 pm now...

Long Island is already 6-12 though.

Archived