joxey
1/23-24 Randytastic Snowstorm Part 2 STORM MODE THREAD

BxEngine

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.weather.com/weather/5day/l/11235:4:US

TWC updated my area to 9-15 inches

TWC map - more bullish than most (8-12" from 80 down to 7, including NYC and 12-18" from 78 down to 195; very similar to what Nick Gregory just showed) and they did very well on last year's "blizzard."  They also have really beefed up the quality of their on air staff and discussions.  They're doing a nice job since the WUnderground takeover/merger: were showing some fairly detailed discussions (with some nice graphics) of the various models and what to look for with the storm evolution.  

map_specnewsdct-87_ltst_4namus_enus_650x

We'll have to agree to disagree. I think it's clearly north - not by a lot, but by 25-50mi. But since we're on the fringe every 25mi is a few tenths of extra precipitation. I'm not focused on its precipitation depiction because that's what models are worst at. Give us a low in the right spot and the rest will take care of itself.

It's not north.

GFS and RGEM tell me the NAM is on crack, and the 2/6/10 repeat scenario is still very much on the table. Tonight would have been the night to see a move north. I guess tomorrow 12z gives another shot, but time's really running out. The NAM could easily collapse at 6z or 12z, it's done that before. Look at the massively amped runs it had for Juno last year for an example. 

Convective feedback problems may have been an issue for one or two cycles, but models repeatedly and consistently jumping the low east and out to sea means there's something to that idea. 

I guess I'll wait for the Euro later, but 4-8" for NYC seems like the best bet here. 4" in the Bronx, 8" in Staten Island. If the GFS shifts south again, that may be generous. 

A small 30-50 mile shift north is money for NYC. You can't live and die by each model run so a blend is your friend! Honestly, NWS, TWC, and Mitchel's forecasts are very solid at this point. Nowcast and trend down or up depending on banding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GFS and RGEM tell me the NAM is on crack, and the 2/6/10 repeat scenario is still very much on the table. Tonight would have been the night to see a move north. I guess tomorrow 12z gives another shot, but time's really running out. The NAM could easily collapse at 6z or 12z, it's done that before. Look at the massively amped runs it had for Juno last year for an example. 

Convective feedback problems may have been an issue for one or two cycles, but models repeatedly and consistently jumping the low east and out to sea means there's something to that idea. 

I guess I'll wait for the Euro later, but 4-8" for NYC seems like the best bet here. 4" in the Bronx, 8" in Staten Island. If the GFS shifts south again, that may be generous. 

Honestly, I don't think we'll know for sure until around this time tomorrow night. 20 miles in either direction makes such a huge difference.

Archived