Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Jan 22-23 East Coast Storm Discussion

Wow

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the timeframe now for the storm on the GFS? It's slowed some and was wondering if it starts later Friday and is it a longer duration now.

Still some timing differences but early morning hours on Firday to Friday morning/midday, SW to NE in North Carolina. By early morning I mean zero dark thirty.

The 0z NAVGEM has the primary no further than AL before spinning up the secondary over the FL panhandle. The ULL cuts off over AL. That's deep.

Massive deformation band parks over WNC as the low gets captured off the SE coast. That's almost unheard of. Euro on to something...

And for such a progressive model, that's quite telling. Seems to me on consecutive model runs, the high is building in a little quicker and also guidance still catching up to the wedging.

Also, let's take notea on just how dry the atmosphere is currently. Dewpoints at the SFC in the single digits all the way down into deep SC. That's something in itself on how much saturation will have to take place. How much evaporational cooling is a million dollar question come game time.

What the heck???

It is safe to say the European model is all on its own as now the 00z GFS has come way north. The Canadian Model is also well to the north. The GFS shows widespread 1-2 feet. With 2-3 feet from Northern VA to South Central PA.
-GB

EDIT: I guess he could be talking about after it has passed thru the SE?

10660251_994455957278533_232748501802879

What the heck???

It is safe to say the European model is all on its own as now the 00z GFS has come way north. The Canadian Model is also well to the north. The GFS shows widespread 1-2 feet. With 2-3 feet from Northern VA to South Central PA.

-GB

Maybe he should leave the forecasting to his dad....

Still some timing differences but early morning hours on Firday to Friday morning/midday, SW to NE in North Carolina. By early morning I mean zero dark thirty.

Thanks! Wasn't sure if I was reading it correctly. It's gonna be a wild ride for most of NC if we are on the edge of the snow/mix line Friday into Saturday. Who would've bet we would see a more southern trend!

-GB

There are plenty models that say otherwise....

Is that the only image they have out?

The hr 72 image is restricted only to Europe (as in, you can only see the European continent, to clarify), so yes.  Well, you can also see the hr 120, but that isn't really relevant.

The Meteocentre maps come out in 6-hr increments up to hr 72 (detailed maps), then in 24-hr increments thereafter (which no precip or anything).

The hr 72 image is restricted only to Europe, so yes. Well, you can also see the hr 120, but that isn't really relevant.

The Meteocentre maps come out in 6-hr increments up to hr 72 (detailed maps), then in 24-hr increments thereafter (which no precip or anything).

burger should hook us up now, he is living across the pond.

For some reason it's not updating on meteocentre.

What the heck???

-GB

EDIT: I guess he could be talking about after it has passed thru the SE?

10660251_994455957278533_232748501802879

:huh:

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ALERT UPDATE GFS ENSEMBLES-- SHOW HUGE AREA OF 18-24 INCHES COVERING ALL OF RIC -- even to the EAST OUT TO CHO and DC

( WHAT IS AN ENSEMBLE WEATHER MODEL? Sometimes weather models produced goofy solutions!! Soooo one way of getting around that is to run the model 20 ...30... or 40.. times. The idea is based on the premise that if you run the same weather model 30 times you will get a much more probabilistic and likely scenario that will be more accurate and realistic then counting on just ONE model. so in ths case THIS GFS ensemble STRONGLY support the GFS Model and the eurorpean big snowstorm idea

12540721_972930382754220_269121733462528

Joe Bastardi had a detailed post at 6:30pm to subscribers on why he thinks the ECMWF is wrong on the storm.

It's worth a read to see how complex this storm is.

Yeah I read that, nothing is guaranteed no matter how it looks! I've been let down too many times..... But it's hard to believe with so many models going that way? last night GFS hardly gave me any snow, and tonight it gives 10-12 inches? IDK 

WOW @ the runs tonight.  I think I might have to re-run numbers and update my Winter weather index for Columbia, SC in the morning if Euro sticks to it's guns/gets better.

Canadian run has a lot of ice (?) into the Northern Midlands.  Navy model.. I don't even know.... would most likely be an accumulating bigger event for us...  ensembles slowly starting to show a backend snowfall idea... 534 thicknesses even with warmer surface temps.. would still be nice to see fall.

Archived