• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan. 22nd-23rd threat

buckeye

Just have to post this for the sake of amazement. I hope someone gets this much out near DC

BJI9t2s.png

GFS is actually wetter than the NAM around DC.

One thing to consider is that ratios may not be spectacular given the winds. That being said, the Kuchera maps don't seem to be outputting crazy ratios so these crazy looking maps are more qpf driven than anything.

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My folks live north of Myrtle Beach and I make that drive through the western VA and southern WV a few times a year. I can't even imagine some of those mountain highways in those conditions. I imagine a large part of I-77 will be closed.

Every hotel room will be booked in Wytheville, VA lol.

I just hope that WV doesn't close the entire state so I can still cut through Parkersburg to get to 77 north. Although I'll be driving through the 1 small part of the state that doesn't look to be crippled by Saturday...

48-52" near Dulles given the Kuchera calculations. 

Never seen map amounts like that outside of Sierra's and Cascade's.

Scratch that, I've seen those amounts along the front range in CO and in the Black Hills for one storm.

From what I've seen, all the maps being thrown around right now are incredibly flawed. For example, in Baltimore, Maryland on the NAM 4km at forecast hour 60, the Kuchera snow total is a whopping 24 inches. When we knock that ratio down to the standard of 10:1, we still get 20 inches. However, if you look at the raw snow depth map (not total accumulation), you'll see that at the exact same location and time, only 9 inches is forecast. This means that the model is only forecasting a literal accumulation of 9 inches and these massive 2-foot totals are the result only of post-processing. Something to consider as this event begins and especially after it concludes.

From what I've seen, all the maps being thrown around right now are incredibly flawed. For example, in Baltimore, Maryland on the NAM 4km at forecast hour 60, the Kuchera snow total is a whopping 24 inches. When we knock that ratio down to the standard of 10:1, we still get 20 inches. However, if you look at the raw snow depth map (not total accumulation), you'll see that at the exact same location and time, only 9 inches is forecast. This means that the model is only forecasting a literal accumulation of 9 inches and these massive 2-foot totals are the result only of post-processing. Something to consider as this event begins and especially after it concludes.

I wouldn't pay much attention to the depth maps. Obviously there's going to be settling/compacting but if the 6 hour rule is followed, then we should still see some pretty big totals.

The big question in my mind is if near or over 2.5" precip is actually going to occur around DC. If it does, this is going to be an incredibly crippling event for that area.

Can it top 2013 Worcester, MA? I chased it. Had 30" and near 80mph wind gusts.

That's really something. 

I remember guys chasing the wintry side of Sandy in the WV mountains.

Roof collapses are going to occur without a doubt.

50"+  from a strictly synoptic storm, outside of high elevation locations, would have to be some kind of record for the conus.   I know there were some storms in the OV, like N0v1950 and even Dec.04, where places picked up 40+.

That's an interesting question. Here's my take. March 1888- Albany area and Hartford area, 50" according to Kocin/ Uccellini. December 1913- Denver, upslope produced 45", not strictly a high elevation location, so it counts. Superstorm 1993- 49" and 46" in Pennsylvania, West Virginia. February 22-28 1969, Kocin/ Uccellini show 77" at the Maine/New Hampshire border. Blizzard of 96, isolated spot of 49" in the Shenandoah Valley area. March 3-5 1971, 46" in Adirondacks. March  18-21 1958- Kocin/ Uccellini shows one spot near Philadelphia with 50". November 1950 "Great Appalachian Storm",  50" near Elkins WV.

the dirty little secret about Feb 2003, (PDII), was that it wasn't a 24 hour total, so it really technically shouldn't be considered a single storm (although it's recorded as such).  

Here in Westerville we ended up with about 15" but it came in two pieces.  The first was Friday night into Saturday morning.  Then we had about an 18 hour virga storm, followed by the second piece Sunday evening/night.    The Sunday storm was the one that was suppose to miss south.   It started to move north on the 18z models Saturday, (24 hours out), and continued the trend. 

Both pieces gave around 7 or 8".

Very good memory because that is exactly how it went down. Ended up with a little more to your ne ( 17" ) but yeah it had that sort of break you mentioned. It took till we were into part 2 before Cleveland finally issued a warning. probably one of the biggest short term busts in the past decade+ as they ( NWS ) had expected that to stay to the south. This and that Christmas storm pulled that last minute jump to the north/nw.. Fun winter..

The thing about that was I wasn't mocking DT, he took it totally the wrong way.   It inspired the very first blog he wrote on EUSWX,  it was entitled, "Why I hate F*ckeye*.    I wish I would have saved that gem.

Oh i know.. LOL   Oh and that was WWBB not EUSWX..

He had a few gems on there between him and you, him and Ji, him and that meteotrade ( not exactly sure of the spelling? ) , and then ofcourse him and rdale.. lol

What winter was that, anyway?  02-03?  It may have been even earlier than that.

It may have been like 01-'02.

That was 02-03.. Where the hell has the time gone? ugh

I guess what we can take away about the 3'+ amounts is that you either have to be near an ocean, in the LES belts, or in the mountains of the west to get those high totals. Outside of those areas, I think near 2' or maybe a little over is about the limit you would see otherwise.

I guess what we can take away about the 3'+ amounts is that you either have to be near an ocean, in the LES belts, or in the mountains of the west to get those high totals. Outside of those areas, I think near 2' or maybe a little over is about the limit you would see otherwise.

January 67 sure as heck came close around here with 28.6" here and 31.2" a few miles to the nw of here at Gull Lake. So i think it is very possible especially if it is either a early or late ( March ) season event.

Yeah, odd that it took so long to come north.  (Again, obviously we don't know if that will be the end result or not)  It will be interesting to see if the last minute wobble is a correction or misfire.  

The base of the trough isn't closed off at 500mb yet and appears a bit north of where the 12z Euro had it. The RAP and HRRR struggle to close the base of the trough off until late Friday and close it off over TN as opposed to north AL/GA...will be interesting to see if that's what's making the difference. The RAP gets Athens on the nose of decent PVA and also a nice mid-level jet/WAA for a few hours Friday afternoon, which could be a few hours of moderate to briefly heavy, fairly high ratio snow. Then we see if we can get a few hours of light to moderate snow in the deform later Friday night. Thinking there's enough to go on to bump up to 3-6" for me...at least.

Archived