Newest Member
    joxey
Jan. 22nd-23rd threat

buckeye

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

going to rule if DC gets 3'

I'd be pretty shocked if that happens, at least at the official site. That would be pretty far above the current record holder and DCA tends to run low. Never say never in weather though. Actually would be kinda cool...has to be super rare to see a non lake effect/non mountainous major city get 3 feet of snow.

The 00Z NAM 4km is showing a significant shift about 75 miles north into central Ohio. The short-fuse high-res models (HRRR, NAM4, etc) seems to be keeping the primary low deeper, longer, and farther north into Tennessee tomorrow. I wouldn't totally rule out further shifting with the overnight and morning runs tomorrow. Global models aren't really applicable at such short range so I'm interested in whether or not the HRRR will trend north toward the 00Z NAM4 or if vice versa the NAM4 will jump back south like the current HRRR/RAP runs.

Can I come?

Hell, looking at that map closer, you could probably hop on 270 and when you get around to the south end you'll be in 6" of snow and by the time you swing back up to Dublin, bare ground.    That gradient is reminiscent of Dec'2004, (15 inches of snow on the west side and an ice storm on the east side).   Unfortunately that means there's precedent.

:lmao:  50 miles to get a foot of snow.    Hell, maybe I'll drive down to see my daughter at OU, have all the benefits of a snowstorm without the aggravation of shoveling.

Here is the Athens cam I sometimes watch.  It is live streaming, so we can all live vicariously through them. http://www.weatherusa.net/skycamnet/showcam.php?id=299

Hell, looking at that map closer, you could probably hop on 270 and when you get around to the south end you'll be in 6" of snow and by the time you swing back up to Dublin, bare ground. That gradient is reminiscent of Dec'2004, (15 inches of snow on the west side and an ice storm on the east side). Unfortunately that means there's precedent.

That would be crazy!!

still a better trend. Southeast OH gets crushed on the 4km NAM.

OHweather: Pick up the white courtesy phone.

I can't believe this spread so close in. I just did as close a review as I could off my phone and the 12z Euro was nailing 500mb heights across the board and other that actually being too slow with the surface low was nailing pressures ahead of the storm. So I don't see reason not to continue leaning towards Euro. HRRR doesn't look great at the end of its run either. Sticking with 2-4" for Athens right now.

Just have to post this for the sake of amazement. I hope someone gets this much out near DC

BJI9t2s.png

50"+  from a strictly synoptic storm, outside of high elevation locations, would have to be some kind of record for the conus.   I know there were some storms in the OV, like N0v1950 and even Dec.04, where places picked up 40+.

Maybe heading to western VA right past the wv border. Looks like it shows upwards of 60" there. Think I'm going to chase it.

You may not be able to get back until at least Monday honestly. This will be a wetter snow, and I can't imagine you'd want to try driving back through the mountains until they can clear the roads. I'm still gonna try to drive to Cleveland on Saturday and if the Euro or even GFS panned out it wouldn't be an issue, although if somehow the 4km NAM worked out I wouldn't even try to get out of here on Saturday...and that's with about 30% of the snow expected where you'll be :lol:

You may not be able to get back until at least Monday honestly. This will be a wetter snow, and I can't imagine you'd want to try driving back through the mountains until they can clear the roads. I'm still gonna try to drive to Cleveland on Saturday and if the Euro or even GFS panned out it wouldn't be an issue, although if somehow the 4km NAM worked out I wouldn't even try to get out of here on Saturday...and that's with about 30% of the snow expected where you'll be :lol:

My folks live north of Myrtle Beach and I make that drive through the western VA and southern WV a few times a year.  I can't even imagine some of those mountain highways in those conditions.   I imagine a large part of I-77 will be closed.  

Every hotel room will be booked in Wytheville, VA lol.

My folks live north of Myrtle Beach and I make that drive through the western VA and southern WV a few times a year. I can't even imagine some of those mountain highways in those conditions. I imagine a large part of I-77 will be closed.

Every hotel room will be booked in Wytheville, VA lol.

I'm looking at Winchester Va. I'm checking hotels now.

Archived