Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan. 22nd-23rd threat

buckeye

did Ricky catch a flight back east? almost feel for the dude if he didn't

LOL. I was back in NYC last weekend and they had their first measurable snow of the season on Sunday. Was really tempted to find a way to get there for this storm if anyone wanted to join. I had a feeling they were gonna get the big totals there even though that meant believing in what the NAM was showing. This reminds me of GHD I in that the NAM handled that event well because it's convection allowing while the convection parameterizing globals were consistently a bit more southeast, hence the sleetfest in STL and LAF.

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll bring my ruler outside with me next time I'm out here but we've got 7-8" currently and it's still snowing! I've never seen it this buried here, what a storm!

congrats to you guys down there!   I'm glad this storm thread wasn't a total shutout for our subforum.   I woke up to a few texts pics from my daughter down there.   Now I need to find out how my other daughter did in Morgantown. 

So I just saw on the news that people on I-75 in Kentucky have been stranded on the highway for 20 hours!  What a nightmare.

congrats to you guys down there!   I'm glad this storm thread wasn't a total shutout for our subforum.   I woke up to a few texts pics from my daughter down there.   Now I need to find out how my other daughter did in Morgantown. 

So I just saw on the news that people on I-75 in Kentucky have been stranded on the highway for 20 hours!  What a nightmare.

The storm has been hyped for several days. I don't understand some people.

pretty much a whiff here in Cincy...even on the SE side of town, go 20 miles ESE of MBY and you'll get a solid 4". Dry air won out and too far NNW to the storm track just killed us.

Nice to see Athens got a good hit

I-75 is too major of an interstate to keep people off of it....I guess you never think to stop and pull off an exit until you get stuck and you think...."should have pulled off on that prior exit"---that would suck.

I haven't really looked at the Med-Long range of the models...guess I'll peak over there...but I don't get the sense the overall pattern is breaking hard one way or another......we missed this one, plenty of time to hope for something to pop up; particularly in the 3-7 day time frame after this monster storm

Woke up to texts from my daughter in Athens as well. A group of them were planning on going to Timberline WV to snowboard today. They left at 5:30 am and got about an hour out before turning back. She said the GPS time estimate just kept getting longer and longer. I tried to tell her last night they wouldn't get too far. Glad they'll listen to GPS, lol

btw, check out some of the traffic cams on wv511.org , entertaining.

congrats to you guys down there! I'm glad this storm thread wasn't a total shutout for our subforum. I woke up to a few texts pics from my daughter down there. Now I need to find out how my other daughter did in Morgantown.

So I just saw on the news that people on I-75 in Kentucky have been stranded on the highway for 20 hours! What a nightmare.

Now they need to open the county back open by noon or 1 so I can try driving :lol:

Total here of about 8" based on several measurements of 8" on the ground both on grass and pavement. I didn't have a snow board to clear every 6 hours so it's likely that a little more fell. This is my largest single snow since early 2012, as I've missed bigger ones in Cleveland and Athens due to being out of town for them. Parts of eastern Athens County received over a foot. Personally I feel pretty bad because I forecast for two sources here that a lot of people read and really low balled it. This storm boardered on crippling here, especially southeast of the city and my forecasts were a good notch or two below that until yesterday afternoon. I'm very happy with the storm itself though and am optimistic for more chances in February.

Total here of about 8" based on several measurements of 8" on the ground both on grass and pavement. I didn't have a snow board to clear every 6 hours so it's likely that a little more fell. This is my largest single snow since early 2012, as I've missed bigger ones in Cleveland and Athens due to being out of town for them. Parts of eastern Athens County received over a foot. Personally I feel pretty bad because I forecast for two sources here that a lot of people read and really low balled it. This storm boardered on crippling here, especially southeast of the city and my forecasts were a good notch or two below that until yesterday afternoon. I'm very happy with the storm itself though and am optimistic for more chances in February.

My daughter sent a pic of her dog running around and the snow is belly deep lol.    Brutal here in CMH.   I never saw a single flake although when I woke up there was spattering of flakes on my car hood so I'm assuming we got flurries.   I really hope this is the last side swiper of the winter for us....damn it's depressing.

I told you you're a snow magnet.  Maybe the next time a storm is targeting the OV I can get the other CMH'ers to chip in and we'll get you a hotel room up here and buy you dinner :lol:

A similar situation to the trapped motorist in KY. 100's of Nebraska high school students stranded on PA Turnpike - along with other people. That area has been absolutely slammed this morning.

They were on TV this morning via. phone and they really regretted not getting off at the last exit last night.

http://www.ketv.com/news/dozens-of-omaha-students-stranded-in-pennsylvania-turnpike-as-snowstorm-slams-east-coast/37593882

That band near Allentown, PA was doing work earlier. 35dbz+ band, with rates of 4-5" an hour. Can someone crank out 40" from this thing??

A location did in WV. I've been reading bits of the Mid Atlantic live storm thread. There's quite a few places over 30" now.

My sister & brother in law lives just NE of Pomeroy on the river and they got 13" overnight, and looks like near Parkersburg got 17".

A location did in WV. I've been reading bits of the Mid Atlantic live storm thread. There's quite a few places over 30" now.

Your right, wow. That band North of Baltimore, is barely moving, with very intense snowfall. Radar for DC looks epic too. The mid Atlantic is such a weird climo when it comes to snowfall. It seems they're snow comes in 8-12" dumpings.

Honestly, bad observing. They had obs last night of 1/4SM with moderate snow and mist. That is +SN and FZFG all day. They are notorious for bad measuring.

Haven't been following too closely. Wasn't sure if it was that, getting missed by some heavy bands or a combo of both.

Archived