joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan. 22nd-23rd threat

buckeye

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My sister & brother in law lives just NE of Pomeroy on the river and they got 13" overnight, and looks like near Parkersburg got 17".

I drove east on 50 and caught 77N in Parkersburg during the middle of this afternoon...roads were still very sloppy in WV and even eastern Athens County but there was no traffic because literally everything was shut down so I got through. I didn't see any other cars in the northbound lanes on 77 for about 20 miles when I first got on. Amounts increased noticeably towards Coolville and were most impressive in Parkersburg and in Marietta near the river, I was thinking about 15" in that area so that jives pretty well. This was a few miles away from being one of the all time great Athens storms (at least an honorable mention) and was in that same boat along the river. Not common we get 12"+ storms here.

My daughter sent a pic of her dog running around and the snow is belly deep lol.    Brutal here in CMH.   I never saw a single flake although when I woke up there was spattering of flakes on my car hood so I'm assuming we got flurries.   I really hope this is the last side swiper of the winter for us....damn it's depressing.

I told you you're a snow magnet.  Maybe the next time a storm is targeting the OV I can get the other CMH'ers to chip in and we'll get you a hotel room up here and buy you dinner :lol:

I suspect we'll get another good one before the winter is over. Just a hunch lol. I'll have to factor in the snow magnet effect the next time Athens looks to be on the fringe :lol:

Fairly large area of 2+ feet it seems. The synoptic storms that do manage to produce 2+ feet in the Midwest tend to do it over a smaller area.

Yeah they are just close to a huge moisture source. As already noted almost impossible to get that in Midwest. I think Buffalos largest synoptic event is around 30-35" or so, once you get to Syracuse the proximity to the coast increases and you can get larger totals such as 48" in the Superstorm of 1993. But than again Buf, Roc, Erie, Syracuse all have lakes that add moisture in deform zones that help enhance totals. We haven't had a synoptic storm in WNY in almost a year. I believe our area has the longest drought without a Winter Storm Warning anywhere east of the Rockies.

Yeah they are just close to a huge moisture source. As already noted almost impossible to get that in Midwest. I think Buffalos largest synoptic event is around 30-35" or so, once you get to Syracuse the proximity to the coast increases and you can get larger totals such as 48" in the Superstorm of 1993. But than again Buf, Roc, Erie, Syracuse all have lakes that add moisture in deform zones that help enhance totals. We haven't had a synoptic storm in WNY in almost a year. I believe our area has the longest drought without a Winter Storm Warning anywhere east of the Rockies.

Really? That must include a fair bit of follow up lake effect. Buffalo has a reputation as being a synoptic desert.

What storm was that?

Really? That must include a fair bit of follow up lake effect. Buffalo has a reputation as being a synoptic desert.

What storm was that?

How does Buffalo have a reputation for being a synoptic desert? We are closer to the gulf and Atlantic than the Midwest and western great lakes. We also had the aid of lake Ontario which adds moisture to deform bands as the storm departs. I asked the NWS for statistics of straight synoptic storms, and they said there was never an instance in which the lakes didn't aid in the storm totals in the larger events so it was impossible to separate them. But just off the top of my head the Blizzard of 1936, Feb 1959, Feb 1983, March 7 of 2008 brought 24-30" of synoptic across WNY, The blizzard of 1993 brought 15-25" across WNY, we also had a blizzard in March of 2014 that brought 14-20" across WNY. All of these brought over 20" in snow totals of the synoptic varierty. The largest in recent memory of over 30" was 2008. We can get hit pretty good by Nor'easters that track inland. We really do much better with Miller Bs for a recent example in Nemo.

2b200b0984070c78766b12a8153c5813.jpg?ito

Feb of 78 had 20-30" just northeast of KBUF.

19780205-19780207-5.78.jpg

I had the same thought about Buffalo that canuck did. Seems like you need an inland/App track to really get hammered there.

As far as the Nemo example above, is that typical to get snow extending that far west or more like an exception to the rule?

Agreed.

And while it has and can happen, the bolded is not a track that occurs often.

Agreed.

And while it has and can happen, the bolded is not a track that occurs often.

Obviously we don't get as many big synoptic storms as the northeast, but we get as many as the great lake cities, if not more. Rochester, 50 miles northeast of KBUF is actually one the the better spots for synoptic events in New York State. I would rank them #1 actually. KROC averages 100" of snow a year and very rarely do they get hit with lake effect since you need N/NNW winds to get hit. Most of there snow is synoptic/lake enhanced.

I had the same thought about Buffalo that canuck did. Seems like you need an inland/App track to really get hammered there.

As far as the Nemo example above, is that typical to get snow extending that far west or more like an exception to the rule?

Our best snows are from Miller Bs and they are not uncommon where a low pressure heads into northeast Ohio/Western Pa and redevelops near the coast. We get the initial snow from the main low pressure dynamics and then get into the deform band/lake enhancement from the originally weakening low. Miller As are much more rare in which they head up the spine/west of the Apps into central New York/New England. The Blizzard of 93 was an example of a Miller A that tracked inland from the coast due to very strong blocking off the Atlantic coast and affected our area with heavy snow.

Now thats a storm.

12513805_932873906790775_553859605480098

Big controversy over the DCA and Central Park measurements, especially the DCA one. It's been on the news today. In NYC they measured at 1am with that 26.8", and it snowed for about an hour after that, but still come 7am the snow depth was the same. 

I was talking with the NYC crew and I was like, they should have just measured after that last band pulled out before settling started. 

If you look at the measurements all around DCA they are 22"+ in every direction. That measurement is a joke.

Big controversy over the DCA and Central Park measurements, especially the DCA one. It's been on the news today. In NYC they measured at 1am with that 26.8", and it snowed for about an hour after that, but still come 7am the snow depth was the same. 

I was talking with the NYC crew and I was like, they should have just measured after that last band pulled out before settling started. 

If you look at the measurements all around DCA they are 22"+ in every direction. That measurement is a joke.

The DC one is definitely a joke. The NYC one as well, I watched those bands move through and they were reporting moderate snow and only need .1 to get to the record. There is no way they didn't get over 27". I was really hoping they would get it. It would of set the all time records at Baltimore, Harrisburg, and NYC. 3 locations that are pretty far apart to show how historic this storm was.

How does Buffalo have a reputation for being a synoptic desert? We are closer to the gulf and Atlantic than the Midwest and western great lakes. We also had the aid of lake Ontario which adds moisture to deform bands as the storm departs. I asked the NWS for statistics of straight synoptic storms, and they said there was never an instance in which the lakes didn't aid in the storm totals in the larger events so it was impossible to separate them. But just off the top of my head the Blizzard of 1936, Feb 1959, Feb 1983, March 7 of 2008 brought 24-30" of synoptic across WNY, The blizzard of 1993 brought 15-25" across WNY, we also had a blizzard in March of 2014 that brought 14-20" across WNY. All of these brought over 20" in snow totals of the synoptic varierty. The largest in recent memory of over 30" was 2008. We can get hit pretty good by Nor'easters that track inland. We really do much better with Miller Bs for a recent example in Nemo.

2b200b0984070c78766b12a8153c5813.jpg?ito

Feb of 78 had 20-30" just northeast of KBUF.

19780205-19780207-5.78.jpg

Yeah, but these are mostly LES aided storms by your own admission, especially those ones that bound the south shore of Lk Ontario on their backside. Obviously WNY has some prolific hybrid storms. But I'm sure you could count on your hand the number of storms that hit WNY and would have been monsters regardless of the lake input. 

Just to drag my own backyard into this...the test you could run is if Toronto or any areas in adjacent Ontario (being on the windward side of the Lakes got hit eqaully as hard). Then you know it's a true synoptic beast. And that just doesn't happen that often.

Yeah, but these are mostly LES aided storms by your own admission, especially those ones that bound the south shore of Lk Ontario on their backside. Obviously WNY has some prolific hybrid storms. But I'm sure you could count on your hand the number of storms that hit WNY and would have been monsters regardless of the lake input. 

Just to drag my own backyard into this...the test you could run is if Toronto or any areas in adjacent Ontario (being on the windward side of the Lakes got hit eqaully as hard). Then you know it's a true synoptic beast. And that just doesn't happen that often.

Yeah I would agree with that. Ontario helps us extensively in Hybrid events.

Yeah I would agree with that. Ontario helps us extensively in Hybrid events.

How much did Buffalo get in the December 10-11, 1992 storm? That one was clipper-type system that redeveloped off the US east coast and became a strong Noreaster with heavy, wet snow inland. Toronto got about a foot of heavy, wet snow (areas to the east in Scarborough got 16"). Temps hovered just below freezing for the entire event (guessing lake enhancement was not a factor).

The DC one is definitely a joke. The NYC one as well, I watched those bands move through and they were reporting moderate snow and only need .1 to get to the record. There is no way they didn't get over 27". I was really hoping they would get it. It would of set the all time records at Baltimore, Harrisburg, and NYC. 3 locations that are pretty far apart to show how historic this storm was.

At least everyone at AMWX knows what the real numbers were most likely. Seeing JFK at 30" is crazy and Baltimore just under that.

Glad folks at ORD know how to measure snowfall - unless it is New Years!

How much did Buffalo get in the December 10-11, 1992 storm? That one was clipper-type system that redeveloped off the US east coast and became a strong Noreaster with heavy, wet snow inland. Toronto got about a foot of heavy, wet snow (areas to the east in Scarborough got 16"). Temps hovered just below freezing for the entire event (guessing lake enhancement was not a factor).

10-15" across WNY.

What storm was that?

As Steve McLaughlin once said we call Western NY the "mesoscale mecca but synoptic desert". About half of Buf and Roc's snow is lake effect. Buffalo usually gets hit with a one or two big SW winds earlier in the season then just "nickels and dimes" all winter long, Rochester constantly "dimes and quarters" all winter along to their 100" avg.

Last i checked we usually get hit with a major synoptic storm (1-2'+) about every 6-8 years here in WNY area.

As Steve McLaughlin once said we call Western NY the "mesoscale mecca but synoptic desert". About half of Buf and Roc's snow is lake effect. Buffalo usually gets hit with a one or two big SW winds earlier in the season then just "nickels and dimes" all winter long, Rochester constantly "dimes and quarters" all winter along to their 100" avg.

Last i checked we usually get hit with a major synoptic storm (1-2'+) about every 6-8 years here in WNY area.

In comparison to how much lake effect we receive we are a synoptic desert. But in comparison to other cities we are quite comparable. We do not have the possibility of receiving the big dogs that the east coast does but we can get some pretty big storms. I guess you have to ask yourself if clippers/lake enhanced are synoptic based? (They are a low pressure system) or if that is considered LES. If we receive half in synoptic snow that is 45-50" of snow per year synoptic based. This would be more than Detriot/Chicago/NYC/DC/Boston? receive each year via synoptic variety. So it's all perception based.

And in regards to 6-8 years for a large synoptic storm. Ill try to name a few since 2000.

aWDU417.jpg

lEvbHDi.jpg

Yy8wg8m.jpg

Dec 31st 2013 had 8-14 inches so not sure that qualifies?

2008 had 21" at KBUF reporting and 30" at Ellicottville all from synoptic.

2007: nwsalerts021307.gif

10-20"

Whew, you guys made me work tonight. I'd say WNY averages a 1-2' synoptic storm every 2 years or so on average so we are not a synoptic desert. ;)

Archived