joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 16th Nor' Easter & Observations

Zelocita Weather

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After looking more closely at recent guidance and digesting what is happening aloft, this really isnt as excruciatingly close as some folks are suggesting. 850 line is well N and W with just pockets of sub-freezing 850s sprinkled in. Would take an extreme situation to get mixing to allow for snow in NYC. We've certainly had improvements over the last 36 hours but as some already pointed out, the antecedent airmass is meh and the primary allows for too much WAA. BL temps are lousy too. I'm leaning 75% rain, 25% snow chances right now in NYC, at best. 

If this closed off 6 to 12 hours sooner it probably would have bombed out in a great place and the CCB would have cranked overhead.

I agree. Have some better wave spacing down south, allow the energy to consolidate and dig more than the 18z, energy will close off earlier (ideally near VA), and there you go. 00z guidance will have to trend this way, otherwise I'm going to have to punt this. 

4da5b26cc77b1aa00fd41655efc62f02.png

Much more dynamic cooling on the ECM Para (which has the highest verification scores in the world now at D5) 

The models resolution is picking up on this. Interesting to see. 

However, the primary is still rather strong over Canada and it has a strange double low which might be feedback. 

Yes

theres a possibility this can turn snowy even for NYC with evaporative cooling?

I'm thinking this has only trended colder the last 24 hours. I'm excited for tonight's runs. The only models I would really pay attention to is the GFS and especially ukmet and euro... Can't wait for tonight I'm very excited!

theres a possibility this can turn snowy even for NYC with evaporative cooling?

I'm thinking this has only trended colder the last 24 hours. I'm excited for tonight's runs. The only models I would really pay attention to is the GFS and especially ukmet and euro... Can't wait for tonight I'm very excited!

As of now this is a rain storm for most of, if not all of this subforum. A few changes could give the far NW burbs a few inches.

As of now this is a rain storm for most of, if not all of this subforum. A few changes could give the far NW burbs a few inches.

Agreed.. We may get a few inches up here but for the most part this is a rain event. We have had favorable trends today but ultimately that primary needs to die a quick death.

still something to watch for those of us far enough N+W

It wouldn't take all that much for you to get an all snow event, for here I'd love for the low to bomb out and give us some rain and wind (although a dying low to our NW is a terrible recipe for winds)

Archived