• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter Banter

dmillz25

Some facts     Avg. Temp. for Winter(DJF)  (37.5 + 32.6 + 35.3 ) = (105.4)/3 = 35.1degs.

Warmest winter ever is (41.5 - 35.1)  = + 6.4 degs.   10th. place is (41.5 - 37.9) = +2.8 degs.

So if we use +13 for Dec. (likely) and the remainder of winter is exactly normal (unknown really) we will have:

(50.5 + 32.6 +35.3) = (118.4/3) = 39.5 degs., and we are in the top ten already.  Target is (41.5x3) = 124.5.   (124.5-118.4) = +6.1degs. 

Should Jan. and Feb. have a net +6.1 average (possible by the CFS w/o a favorable SSWE---is the caveat), this will be the warmest winter in history(ties).

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1997-98 had hardly any cold air at all...the coldest 30 day period was only 37.3...Highest on record...2011-12 is second with 37.0...2001-02 managed a 30 day period averaging 35.4...Last year we had one averaging 23.9...if this year doesn't get cold in the latter part of the winter another warm record for winter could fall...

I'm really starting to enjoy this warmer weather. I wouldn't mind a virtually snowless Winter as long as it stays well above average in temps. I miss the snow more when it's cold and dry.

I agree-if there's no snow it might as well be 65.  It's not like there's any snowpack to protect anywhere.

This winter is shaping up to be much more like 57-58 than 97-98. Don't allow yourselves to be swayed by the warm posters here who provide zero analysis on the long term pattern and harp on and on and on about how warm it is. Sure, it's nice out there and records are being broken. That's super interesting isn't it! Blargh, whatever. 2 weeks from now, the warmth will be forgotten and we will be tracking winter storm chances again. Though, the best chances for snow will begin in late Jan. At this point, the warm (and clueless) posters will begin dismissing any snow we do get and focusing more on how below normal we are for snowfall. Once we go above normal for snow, they will cry that this is a "one storm winter" etc. Whatever straws they can grasp at to be negative.

Get ready everyone else. Winter will return before you know it.

This winter is shaping up to be much more like 57-58 than 97-98. Don't allow yourselves to be swayed by the warm posters here who provide zero analysis on the long term pattern and harp on and on and on about how warm it is. Sure, it's nice out there and records are being broken. That's super interesting isn't it! Blargh, whatever. 2 weeks from now, the warmth will be forgotten and we will be tracking winter storm chances again. Though, the best chances for snow will begin in late Jan. At this point, the warm (and clueless) posters will begin dismissing any snow we do get and focusing more on how below normal we are for snowfall. Once we go above normal for snow, they will cry that this is a "one storm winter" etc. Whatever straws they can grasp at to be negative.

Get ready everyone else. Winter will return before you know it.

TWC just said warm through most of January with no pattern change in sight lol

Yawn...all I see is a torch and a trasient pna ridge in the west....

Wolf crying wolf again

More important, there is +EPO, a staple of strong El Niño. We are not getting a sustained -EPO for weeks and weeks on end like the last 3 winters with a super Nino in place, not happening. The truth of it is this, and if people don't want to believe me ask any pro met you want. Even if the -AO and -NAO come, you had better hope the EPO is not raging positive at the time because if it is, the Atlantic and arctic blocking get steamrolled and overwhelmed and you are flooded with Pacific maritime air and the -AO and -NAO mean squat. You need the EPO to be at least neutral at the same time, if it's raging positive, game over no matter what the AO and NAO are doing. That is not opinion or conjecture, it's fact

It's been years and I've never seen you be optimistic. Even when proven wrong last year repeatedly, you wouldn't acknowledge it. What gives man? Can't even tell if you're serious here.

It's tough to argue against your and PB's track record and thorough analysis. It's nice to read put together thoughts for clueless posters like myself. 

I guess PB and alot of mets are also wrong. Keep on model hugging instead of looking at signs of a pattern change.

Well... a lot of the mets here aren't exactly the least weenie-ish around here, and they might be looking for things that aren't quite what they seem, especially during a warm, dry pattern like this.

Well... a lot of the mets here aren't exactly the least weenie-ish around here, and they might be looking for things that aren't quite what they seem, especially during a warm, dry pattern like this.

What mets you talking about? I cant believe people think this pattern is going to last all winter when the models and other factors are pointing to a change in january.

What mets you talking about? I cant believe people think this pattern is going to last all winter when the models and other factors are pointing to a change in january.

Look, I'd love for it to snow just like anyone else on here, but I can't help but feel a slight, (but noticeable) bias from the mets and other knowledgeable posters.They're smart, but at the same time seem to be using their knowledge purely for looking for any sign of cold/snow, and (from what it looks like to me) try their best to dismiss and/or downplay anything shown on the models that might mean the contrary. No offense intended to anyone, of course.

Archived