• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Nov. 16th-17th Severe Event

Quincy

Reports of debris falling from the sky ahead of that cell moving into KS.

Had a wicked BWER a bit earlier.

CT_GG8sUYAE9uDa.png

For the record, this is the merger of the two Pampa cells earlier, so this has been exceptionally long lived.

I believe the first Pampa cell initiated a very long time ago near the NM/TX border west of Lubbock. That measures somewhere around ~300 miles traveled.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the record, this is the merger of the two Pampa cells earlier, so this has been exceptionally long lived.

Slightly too far south, but it's kind of ridiculous how well some of the HRRR runs from earlier today wound up doing. Targeted the SW KS and NE TX Panhandle swaths pretty dang well.

CT9e0vVUAAAjlZm.png

I unfortunately had a lab I couldn't miss in Norman today that ended at 4, and I ended up following that HRRR run to the T tonight. Meaning, a new chase partner and I sat on the Oklahoma/Texas border on I 40 hoping one more cell would spawn south and slightly east of the two cells that pounded Pampa. If I didn't have an interview and a midterm tomorrow, I would have bit the bullet, headed north to catch the Pampa cells and settled with 5 hours of sleep. Either way, I would've killed for these winds last Spring. Such an exceptional Fall setup. I can't wait to see the photos and videos of these tubes come out this week.

So this AFD issued at 12:35 pm prior to the event today from AMA was "interesting", especially when a ton of CAM guidance was suggesting multiple discrete storms and there were a number of factors favouring them. I mentioned then that I didn't agree with it at all. Should note that they did update later on with a heavier worded discussion, but this one was just baffling at the time.

EVENT EVOLUTION: THE AFOREMENTIONED FACTORS WILL LEAD TO AN
IMPRESSIVE CONVECTIVE ENVIRONMENT THAT WILL BE CHARACTERIZED AS LOW
TO MODERATE CAPE/HIGH SHEAR. LIMITED CAPPING SHOULD BE EASILY
OVERCOME THIS AFTERNOON WITH SCATTERED STORM DEVELOPMENT OR UPSCALE
GROWTH OF ERN NM CONVECTION EXPECTED BY EARLY TO MID AFTERNOON.
GIVEN EFFECTIVE SHEAR VECTORS ALIGNED CLOSELY TO STORM MOTION AND
AFOREMENTIONED DEEP/STRONG FORCING...RAPID EVOLUTION TO A QLCS IS
EXPECTED BY 22-23Z WITH THE PEAK OF STORM SEVERITY LIKELY BETWEEN
22Z-03Z. THIS TIMING WILL FAVOR THE GREATEST SEVERE RISK FROM
ROUGHLY CLAUDE TO SPEARMAN EASTWARD TO THE OK BORDER, THOUGH INITIAL
CONVECTION A BIT FURTHER WEST COULD ALSO BE SEVERE. GIVEN A
PROPENSITY FOR THE LOW LEVEL AIRMASS TO BE QUICKLY REPLACED BEHIND
DEPARTING STORMS AND CONTINUED UPR DIFFLUENCE/HEIGHT FALLS, A SECOND
QLCS CANNOT BE RULED OUT BEHIND THE FIRST ONE, THOUGH THIS
PROBABILITY IS LOWER. INDIVIDUAL STORM MOTIONS WILL BE RACING FROM
SW TO NE AT 40-50KTS THIS AFTERNOON WITH THE ENTIRE QLCS MOVING W TO
E AT 30-40KTS.

THREATS: ALL SEVERE WEATHER THREATS APPEAR POSSIBLE TODAY IN VARYING
DEGREES. GIVEN EXPECTED 0-1 SHEAR VALUES OF 25-35KTS...OUTFLOW
BOUNDARIES WILL LIKELY REMAIN TIED CLOSE TO THE LEADING EDGE OF THE
QLCS AND SWATHS OF DAMAGING STRAIGHT LINE WINDS ARE EXPECTED. THIS
THREAT WILL BE FURTHER INCREASED IF MODEL FCST DCAPE VALUES OF 1000
J/KG MATERIALIZE. AS THE LATE AFTERNOON WEARS INTO THE EVENING...
EFFECTIVE SRH VALUES ARE EXPECTED TO INCREASE TO 300-400 M2/S2 WHICH
WILL PROVIDE A WINDOW FOR POTENTIAL EMBEDDED QLCS TORNADOES...
ESPECIALLY GIVEN LOW LCLS. HAIL TO THE SIZE OF 2 INCHES WILL ALSO BE
A THREAT GIVEN TRANSIENT SUPERCELL STRUCTURES AND MODEST CAPE IN THE
HAIL GROWTH ZONE.

Pretty unbelievable that today earned the same tornado risk as yesterday per SPC, at least in Arkansas.

It's pretty messy over there, I think a 5% risk would be more believable. Yesterday caught a lot of people by surprise by the number and duration of isolated supercells that were able to take advantage of the environment. I strongly doubt we'll see very many reports today.

It's pretty messy over there, I think a 5% risk would be more believable. Yesterday caught a lot of people by surprise by the number and duration of isolated supercells that were able to take advantage of the environment. I strongly doubt we'll see very many reports today.

HRRR had been warning us pretty early on about those cells. It looked pretty nasty. With that said... I didn't expect it to be that much of an outbreak. It got pretty out of hand yesterday. We had 3 PDS warnings at one moment.

post-21113-1447723314_thumb.png

xTiTnHyrzO2gBlhoTC.gif

:o

Challenge accepted,  November 4th 1922 there was a  tornado in Colorado, it started at 5am  and had a 180 mile long path.

http://www.kktv.com/blogs/talkweather/Colorado_Tornado_History_208432951.html

Challenge accepted,  November 4th 1922 there was a  tornado in Colorado, it started at 5am  and had a 180 mile long path.

I highly doubt it was continuously on the ground for 180 miles. Most likely a single cell producing multiple tornadoes or a cell merger. 

Disc, what G2G shear did you have on this? That has to be up close to 200 kts if I'm not mistaken.

That's also only one tornado. There were probably at least a half dozen large, significant tornadoes last night.

Archived