• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
No Joaquin the park forecast for Mets

Ginx snewx

Yeah the ground was already saturated from a ton of rain that month...I think BDL had like 6 and a half inches of rain in the 2-3 weeks prior to Irene....now add whatever rain falls from Irene before the wind gusts...so weaker winds did more damage than otherwise. A lot of places had half decent damage with barely TS force gusts in Irene.

So certainly the antecedent conditions leading up to the storm can play a significant role in what the storm's impact will be.

Yep.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The point is, it's a weak sauce storm. 40 mph winds knock limbs over, so should I be awe struck if a maple fell on my car in a 40mph gust? No. Just a because it knocked trees over with TS force winds shouldn't distract people to what it actually was. A TS. It knocked trees over in a heavily forested area and caused people to lose power thanks to poor location of wires wrapped around boughs of trees.

Yes.

Be that as it may, it had a very adverse effect in area....but as tropical systems go, it blew (pun intended).

Yep.

1938 had a lot of rain too before it hit...so the damage was exacerbated. A storm like that would have obviously been hardcore destructive with or without prior rains, but it certainly didn't need those rains before hitting. The interior flooding was a lot worse because of that. I'm sure some extra trees got uprooted too. (the one's that didn't shear off anyway, lol) 

It was over last night.

Hey, we need to respect the GEM

:axe:

The Euro ensembles at 12z yesterday were really a red flag...once we had more than half of them siding with the OP, I was starting to hedge pretty heavily toward the idea that this storm was fish food...and then you had some nudges eastward before capture at 18z and some 00z guidance before we saw the Euro again last night.

2pm

180011W_sm.gif

Guess they're riding the NAM and GGEM..

EURO is way OTS by day 3, although it's a strange look in the first 24 hours as it suggests the storm moves due south between now and 12z tomorrow. I suppose it's possible that it could start moving south again, but at this point we're on more of a westward movement and so seeing that flip again would be surprising.

I fully admit. I want to live thru a storm like 38. I fully understand how bad things would be, damage and otherwise.. I totally get it..but I would give just about anything to have a storm like that...

I think deep down inside, just about anyone who is a weather fanatic wants to experience nature's fury at some point.

I'm still in low confidence... if NHC is placing that cone there again at 2pm it just feels like something is up. Could be as just likely that they didn't see euro before. But they did see GFS....

That is the 11am cone, they do not update it for intermediate advisories.

They will creep eastward on each subsequent main advisory until it's a fish.

Looks due west to me...looking at the eye.

I think I'm with you. Looks like it's doing the wobble wobble. Interesting to note that euro has this dropping south for several more hours but it seems to be heading west. NHC has this turning north soon and that doesn't look to be happening either. Definition of low confidence. Jesus lol

It doesn't.

Maybe a slight positive is that the EUROP as it burying itself south of west still, and it isn't......reaching, but...

I think I'm with you. Looks like it's doing the wobble wobble. Interesting to note that euro has this dropping south for several more hours but it seems to be heading west. NHC has this turning north soon and that doesn't look to be happening either. Definition of low confidence. Jesus lol

Yep.

The 12z Euro deson't really look like it buries it south...it's mostly due west through 18-24 hours. Maybe a brief wobble slightly south of due west between 6-12 hours, but it's splitting hairs.

In short, I don't think the current storm motion is inconsistent with a final Euro solution of recurving this. We'd probably need to wait until tonight or tomorrow morning to notice if anything was significantly "off".

I'm still in low confidence... if NHC is placing that cone there again at 2pm it just feels like something is up. Could be as just likely that they didn't see euro before. But they did see GFS....

Are you serious? I mean really? Who cares what the cone shows. Get out on the football field and take your cone with you

Archived