Newest Member
    joxey
No Joaquin the park forecast for Mets

Ginx snewx

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should know by now if it didn't happen in EMA its always NBD

Lol...I suppose you're right.  It just sounds so uninformed when folks do that.  Sure, it's not always a big deal in every location, but for some in the area, it may just be a Huge deal?  And for some not so much.  Juno was a joke for my area, and did not deliver on the billing of 3 feet of snow.  But for some it sure did, and more.  Anyway, on to the Hurricane, that looks like a Miss for most.  And me too, I hope the Euro has a huge burp in 90 minutes, would be another nice Wrench into the mix!!

Lol...I suppose you're right.  It just sounds so uninformed when folks do that.  Sure, it's not always a big deal in every location, but for some in the area, it may just be a Huge deal?  And for some not so much.  Juno was a joke for my area, and did not deliver on the billing of 3 feet of snow.  But for some it sure did, and more.  Anyway, on to the Hurricane, that looks like a Miss for most.  And me too, I hope the Euro has a huge burp in 90 minutes, would be another nice Wrench into the mix!!

Juno was a far less impressive blizzard bc it didn't deliver in NYC....I'm pretty sure I immediately acknowledged that.

Did I like it better that way, sure.

I got over 2' instead of 15".

Relative to historical tropical impacts, it was NBD.

Connecticut, 20 homes in East Haven were destroyed and five others were damaged beyond repair by flooding and storm surge along the shore of Long Island Sound.[236] On Sunday, Connecticut's two main electric companies, Connecticut Light and Power andUnited Illuminating, reported that a record 754,000 customers, about half the state, were without power. More than two days after the storm made landfall, about 400,000 people were still without power, some being told they would have to wait more than a week, especially in heavily wooded areas. In Ridgefield, 90% of houses lost power, requiring the utility to turn off power to the other 10% to ease restoration efforts.[237][238] Route 15, one of the state's main highways, was closed from the New York state line to Interstate 91 inMeriden due to fallen trees.[239]

Governor Dannel Malloy said Hurricane Irene was responsible for a tenth death on August 28: a man who died in a fire likely caused by downed wires from high winds.[240] An elderly woman, who resided in Prospect, died in similar situations, when a falling tree caused power lines to collapse onto her home, starting a fire;[164] her husband was critically injured.[241] In Bristol, a man drowned when his canoe capsized.[164]

A week later, many homes in Connecticut still had not had their power restored. Connecticut Light & Power said on September 2 that it was ahead of where it expected to be, and that less than 100,000 customers would still be without power by midnight the next day. Crews had come from many distant places in North America, including British Columbia, to help the utility's own crews.[230] The continued outages also meant that in rural areas with private wells, residents still lacked running water a week after the storm.

Almost every river and stream in Vermont flooded, resulting in at least three deaths and one missing.[164][251][252] In Wilmington, the flood level of the Deerfield River east branch reportedly exceeded levels measured during the 1938 New England hurricane – the only other tropical cyclone to make a direct hit on Vermont in the state's recorded history.[253] Throughout Vermont, numerouscovered bridges, many over 100 years old, were damaged or destroyed.[254] Extensive road damage resulted in the isolation of nearly a dozen rural towns that would require helicopter air-lifts of necessities in the days immediately following the storm.[255] The storm decimated multiple sections of U.S. Route 4 between Rutland and Quechee, making east/west travel through the southern part of state nearly impossible. The resort town of Killington as well as neighboring Pittsfield were completely isolated from travel in and out for two weeks. Statewide, the cost of repairs for road and bridge damage alone was estimated to exceed $700 million

Tell that to peeps in VT and Upstate NY Ray, I think they'd disagree with you.  And in CT, it was the worst loss of power ever to date at the time, beating out Hurricane Gloria.  So I think your mistaken on that account.

Ok.

It was a big deal in that it adversely affected the lives of many, but as far as tropical impacts go....it was equivalent to about a 5" storm.

Tell that to peeps in VT and Upstate NY Ray, I think they'd disagree with you.  And in CT, it was the worst loss of power ever to date at the time, beating out Hurricane Gloria.  So I think your mistaken on that account.

VT was a war zone.  seriously, to say Irene was nbd, is wrong when there were national guard helicopters flying water and baby formula to those trapped for upwards of a week.

Now place that into context with other LF tropical events.

how about we place into the context that you originally said a TS or minimal cane is NBD. Irene was a TS at LF and caused historical levels of damage. The fact your corner of the world was spared does not minimize the fact it was a Huge impact to many despite your original assertion that a TS would be NBD. Again as I stated its not always about the wind with TS's,

VT was a war zone.  seriously, to say Irene was nbd, is wrong when there were national guard helicopters flying water and baby formula to those trapped for upwards of a week.

Ok.

Saying it was simply "NBD" was wrong.

I'm sorry.

That was ignorant.

But as far as LFing tropical events, it wasn't impressive.

Ok.

I'm sorry.

That was ignorant.

It was impressive in Connecticut from a surge/wind/inland flooding perspective. We got all 3. Much less impressive in RI and C/E Mass. 

In some respects it was more impressive than Gloria (because of surge and inland flooding) even though the winds were less.

It was impressive in Connecticut from a surge/wind/inland flooding perspective. We got all 3. Much less impressive in RI and C/E Mass. 

In some respects it was more impressive than Gloria (because of surge and inland flooding) even though the winds were less.

Sorry, didn't  mean to offend anyone.

I guess I mixed up the concepts of meteorologically impressive, and impact on human  lives.

Ok.

I'm sorry.

That was ignorant.

You are absolutely right about that Ray, it wasn't impressive at all with regard to LFing tropical events.  But I guess the take away, for all of us, is that it doesn't have to look or seem all that impressive, to have Catastrophic impacts and results, and that's what Irene did here and in VT.  I don't even think it was a Hurricane when it came ashore in SNE, so it just drives the point home even further. 

Sorry, didn't  mean to offend anyone.

I guess I mixed up the concepts of meteorologically impressive, and impact on human  lives.

No worries. Our prism is always IMBY focused. Last winter was an absolute bore for me... I almost wish it didn't happen. Meanwhile, Scott has pictures of his backyard plastered that winter all over his bedroom. 

Irene flooded much of my town with surge and knocked power out for a week, along with hundreds of downed trees. Impact wise, Sandy made Irene look like a relative non event around NYC, but it was still an impact on par with Belle 1976 and Gloria in the NYC area. It's known more for the inland floods, but the coast took a hit as well. I'd say eastern New England is due for another big tropical event, Bob was almost 25 years ago?

No worries. Our prism is always IMBY focused. Last winter was an absolute bore for me... I almost wish it didn't happen. Meanwhile, Scott has pictures of his backyard plastered that winter all over his bedroom. 

I can't believe the amount of calls and texts emails from folks about the Hurricane coming here this weekend. I haven't seen the news or read much outside of our forum , is there a message out there saying to expect a cane? where besides the cone is this coming from.

Yea, I acted like an idiot.

My bad.....I guess I'm just too focused on how impressive the system itself is.

Yes. Lol.

I think winds weren't all that different in MA, especially SE MA. Cape had gusts over 75. But the surge and rain were more in CT. Lots of this area had no power for several days.

Absolutely true.  I remember Gloria very well, and yes the Winds in Gloria were very impressive, but Irene did have all 3.  Where as Gloria had mostly wind at least for my area in CT.  

Archived