joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
No Joaquin the park forecast for Mets

Ginx snewx

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe the amount of calls and texts emails from folks about the Hurricane coming here this weekend. I haven't seen the news or read much outside of our forum , is there a message out there saying to expect a cane? where besides the cone is this coming from.

Ummm... the NHC. 

That is what is killing me.

I probably should have taken a break today because I'm irritable.

lol its all good man. I know lots of our group loves to see direct hits. I guess over the years dealing with damage at home and at work and understanding what a costly PITA it ends up being I just don't have that lust anymore. I mean I love the power, love trying to outsmart the computers , love the raw beauty just am very happy to not have to deal with the aftermath. If any of those MA NJ runs were to come to fruition that would have been a complete sh it show for them. We would be talking about isabel surge with Agnes flooding. Pretty sure the country doesn't need that . I understand the disappointment though, been there done that but have a different perspective now.

But to Ray's point, look what a lousy TS does to our infrastructure. It wasn't an intense storm by any means, it's because of our infrastructure and building that makes it a lot worse.

Yeah. Irene was pretty weak sauce for winds compare to historical storms that hit SNE. It was slow moving tho which really ramped up the surge impact in LI sound and the rain in western New England.

If it had not been a mangled mess and instead was much stronger wind-wise, there would have been a lot more problems outside the surge impact area.

lol its all good man. I know lots of our group loves to see direct hits. I guess over the years dealing with damage at home and at work and understanding what a costly PITA it ends up being I just don't have that lust anymore. I mean I love the power, love trying to outsmart the computers , love the raw beauty just am very happy to not have to deal with the aftermath. If any of those MA NJ runs were to come to fruition that would have been a complete sh it show for them. We would be talking about isabel surge with Agnes flooding. Pretty sure the country doesn't need that . I understand the disappointment though, been there done that but have a different perspective now.

See, I have never dealt with a lot of damage.

I'm in a relative safe haven here in Wilmington...all it does is snow.

I think that is why I can be insensitive RE the effects on people from time to time.

I mean, there were some trees down on roofs in Gloria, but not mine.

That is the worst I have seen here.

Yeah. Irene was pretty weak sauce for winds compare to historical storms that hit SNE. It was slow moving tho which really ramped up the surge impact in LI sound and the rain in western New England.

If it had not been a mangled mess and instead was much stronger wind-wise, there would have been a lot more problems outside the surge impact area.

Ton of damage for a TS, its not just winds that can cause problems. I mean some of the most overall damaging situations besides 38 were ts effects like Diane and Connie in 55. Point being even a weak cane can be loads of trouble in an area that rarely sees them.

See, I have never dealt with a lot of damage.

I'm in a relative safe haven here in Wilmington...all it does is snow.

I think that is why I can be insensitive RE the effects on people from time to time.

I mean, there were some trees down on roofs in Gloria, but not mine.

That is the worst I have seen here.

I am totally with you all the more reason I love snow. Sure there are traffic issues and people die from cold and heart attacks etc, but as a societal impact does not compare to Tors and canes. 

I really wish NHC would just move the dang cone east, I'm seeing some ridiculous hype out there and it is sickening. People that don't understand weather go by these generated maps. The hype and drama is over. The ratings boon is not gonna happen. Back to regularly scheduled programming folks.

Why do they even need a cone? Unless they're doing one for imports/exports vessels enroute to Europe ..why bother

So you guys are saying there's still an outside chance of eastern mass impact? Even just a little bit of wind?  :weep: I'm so desperate for a tropical system to hit right now. At this point I could use a 3 year break from winter after the bombardment we had last winter lol.

Edit: I guess now that I think about it maybe its for the best that we're spared the worst. I'd rather not go a week without power again.

Foliated trees though. Makes it worse than it is really.

We live in a forested landscape for a reason, one being they can survive because of the infrequency of severe winds. Not quite understanding the worse than it really is though. Sort of like saying a cake snow storm with 65 mph winds is worse than it really is than a dry powder at 65. The environmental conditions determine the damage scale not some human defined wind scale.

Archived