CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
We hoist, huge drought busting rains with potential coastal flooding. Sep 29-30

Ginx snewx

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's just so surprising. Was it large or small droplets? Wonder if many small droplets just bounce around and screw up tippers.

They seemed to be larger droplet on the way into work, but don't hold me to that...I didn't really analyze it. It was pretty loud on the windshield FWIW. Was dual pol showing more spherical or elliptical droplets?

They seemed to be larger droplet on the way into work, but don't hold me to that...I didn't really analyze it. It was pretty loud on the windshield FWIW. Was dual pol showing more spherical or elliptical droplets?

Oh I have no idea. Sometimes these systems are smaller droplets when not extremely high DBZ. They still are efficient producers.

It's important. I'm dying to get a good station.

We get a lot of large precip events, but with wind....it's discouraging to think it may get messed up. Guess I need the status gauge.

You could get a wind screen with an 8" gauge.  I prefer the manual type and loved it when I had one.  Great for rain or snow.  The Stratus is a fine alternative though.

Yes

Sent from my iPhone

Do you recall the beginning and end of that 24-hour period?  That info would help me to estimate how much of the 4.04" I emplied last night came on which day (and in fact, which water-year, as anything after 7 AM on 9/30 falls into WY-2016) after returning home from the SNJ visit with new grandson and family.  (They're all doing great!  Wish I'd covered my woodpile before the scramble to head south.)

Some odd car-thermometer gyrations on the ride north.  Family lives in southern Gloucester Cty, about 15 miles north of Mike trout's hometown.  Bands of heavy RA at 72-73 (RH felt like about 150%) for the initial 50-60 miles then cloudy or misting the remainder of the way, except for a 5-mile stretch in SNY on the GS Parkway extension and I-287.  Temp was a steamy 76 at the Woodbridge rest area, less than a mile from the NY border, then quickly plunged to mid 60s in the RA, bottoming at 65.  East of Tappan Zee the temp climbed back to 72, fell to mid 60s again after 4 miles on I-684.  It then hung at 64-66 until Waterbury, when it began a slow climb, reaching 73 in Hartford.  From there it was a more "logical" downward progression to the 55 at my place, at 8 PM.

It's important. I'm dying to get a good station.

We get a lot of large precip events, but with wind....it's discouraging to think it may get messed up. Guess I need the status gauge.

The Stratus Gauge is like 30-40 bucks...buy it online and have it in 48 hours.

Everyone in this forum should have one.

Normally they're spot on with eachother with at most only a few hundredths difference. I'm honestly shocked. I thought maybe I had a bad reed switch going in my tipper, but Eek's discrepancy makes me think otherwise.

I need Chris or Ek to hook me up with a weighing gauge like Salisbury has. Too bad I live so close to the COOP...if I was in Coos they'd probably give me anything I wanted.

True story.

Does not look like it came from a trained spotter, But maybe Chris can confirm

Sorry, didn't take that call or have any knowledge of it until now.

Quick check of the logs and that was a public call from someone who measured it in a bucket. We toss.

But we did have at least two other spotters in that area with over 7.50"

Sorry, didn't take that call or have any knowledge of it until now.

Quick check of the logs and that was a public call from someone who measured it in a bucket. We toss.

But we did have at least two other spotters in that area with over 7.50"

Sounds like I was at the base of the gutter down spout. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived