• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Last Days Of Summer: September 2015 DISCUSSION/OBS

UnionWeatherWx

late October 1982 there was a noreaster with almost 2" of rain in NYC...At the time I thought it was a good sign for the winter...February had a similar storm with cold air to work with and we know how that worked out...1972 was the opposite with a very wet fall...

Relative to departures, we have been one of the driest parts of the US since April 1st.

We went from cold and snowy Jan-Mar to warm and dry since April.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

late October 1982 there was a noreaster with almost 2" of rain in NYC...At the time I thought it was a good sign for the winter...February had a similar storm with cold air to work with and we know how that worked out...1972 was the opposite with a very wet fall...

Right now, I'm not too worried about late fall or winter. I fully expect a vigorous subtropical jet to develop with opportunities for some significant precipitation events. There could be some risk of suppression, though. A lot will depend on whether blocking develops and the positioning of such blocking. I remain hopeful that the NYC area will avoid a 1972-73-type outcome with almost no snowfall.

Right now, I'm not too worried about late fall or winter. I fully expect a vigorous subtropical jet to develop with opportunities for some significant precipitation events. There could be some risk of suppression, though. A lot will depend on whether blocking develops and the positioning of such blocking. I remain hopeful that the NYC area will avoid a 1972-73-type outcome with almost no snowfall.

I hope this year is not like 1972-73...it had very little help from the ao nao because when they went negative it helped keep any storms at the time suppressed to the south...that was a year when everything went wrong...1997-98 was milder and hardly any cold air was available..I think it was worse than 72-73...I too believe the winter won't end up like those but you can't rule that kind of winter out at this time of the year...

If one looks at the GFS ensemble 500 mb anomalies forecast for early next week, the pattern is again reasonably similar to some very warm late-September patterns (see #795 in this thread for the maps: http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/46784-the-last-days-of-summer-september-2015-discussionobs/?p=3681945).

GFSensemble0923201512z.jpg

Considering the forecast pattern, whether or not tomorrow reaches 80° (and I believe it will), I expect that next week could see one or more additional 80° or above readings. Moreover, the unseasonable warmth could generally persist into at least the first week in October with some chance of at least another 80° or above temperature.

Finally, through today, the lowest temperature at Central Park this month has been 59°. September 1910 had the warmest minimum temperature on record for Central Park with a reading of 57°.

In looking at the possible cloud cover at the time of the lunar eclipse (Sunday evening starting I think low (altitude 16deg) in the eastern sky at about 8PM and  mid-totaityl about 10:30PM (at about an altitude of 45deg. in southeastern sky) then ending at about 1AM here in NYC---GFS shows border line sky conditions of approx. 50% total cloud coverage but both completely clear skies and completely obscured skies are not far away from us---so maybe we could get lucky.

I see a lot of the models are now showing rain for sunday afternoon and night. GGEM shows a nice steady soaking rain. Do you guys buy it? Boy do I hope we see some rain. The 0.75" of rain I got earlier in the month was the only significant rain I've seen in the last couple months. It's ridiculously dry out there. 

there's a thread for this.  GGEM is a wet outlier and Euro the furthest south.   NAM coming in now showing precip having a hard time moving north through Sat night.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/46921-927-92815-big-surf-high-astronomical-tides/page-3

Maybe a few showers at best. It's been a while since I've seen it this dry. So much dead vegetation and burnt out lawns.

Warm month made it a lot worse than it would've been otherwise.

only thing making it less worse is the decreasing sun angle.   But it's bone dry around here, 3rd fall in a row.   '13 went dry through Thanksgiving, last year got wet in early October and this year the verdict is out but looks dry through 10/2 or so at least.

Archived