Newest Member
    joxey
August Banter 2015

mackerel_sky

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this anywhere near any of you?

Bridge collapses near Yancey County schoolPosted: Aug 17, 2015 8:16 AM EST Updated: Aug 17, 2015 8:16 AM EST
By Dal Kalsi

456188_G.JPG (file/FOX Carolina)

BURNSVILLE, NC (FOX Carolina) -

A bridge near an elementary school in Yancey County collapsed Monday morning, according to the Yancey County Sheriff’s Office.

Deputies said the bridge along Highway 19 near Bald Creek Elementary School.

Deputies are detouring traffic along nearby roads.

No other information about the collapse was immediately available.

Classes for the 2015-2016 school year began Monday in Yancey County.

Are there any Hicks in Hickory?

Yes.  Yes there are.  Plenty of them.  But that's not uncommon living in the South.

Are there any Jameses living in Jamestown?  Yes.  Yes, there are.  I am one.

However, I do not live in Jamestown, per se (I live in High Point), but I do have a Jamestown mailing address. :)

There are high people in High Point, though. :lol:

My wife's name is Smith, and Smithfield is where the evil tax office and courthouse are. We have a Clayton address, and the yard is red clay. Technically, we're exactly half way between Clayton and Smithfield, but neither town limits extend out this far.

I like the 2.06" tonight's 18z spits out for 9/3 :)

All-in?  Or convective feedback? :weenie:

It would be nice to have the low along the coast instead of inland and we need to work on that 1028 mb HP.  We need it stronger and/or a lot further south, then we may have something.  We also need to work on that Lakes low west of Chicago!!!  ;) ;)

35l81oh.jpg

So nice having the somewhat-cooler wx this week.  I can sleep with the windows open, and husband merely complains about the volume of the chorus outside and not the humidity and heat.

My current gig is giving IT training to developers and designers who are modifying cash register code to handle the new microchip credit cards.  The attendees are sharp from a programming skill standpoint, but only a couple have worked in retail systems before, and only one has hands-on experience with processing of credit/debit/gift card payments.  So it's totally new territory for them and they are putting me on the spot with good questions.

EMV (microchip cards) + Tokenization + Encryption = fun fun fun  

Trying to explain how they all work together, why we encrypt even if you can't forge the chip (yet) and why we tokenize even if you're encrypting ... stuff that seems second nature to me after decades in retail payments but seeing it from their viewpoint, yeah, it's confusing and my explanations could be better.

They are asking good questions.  I'm having to dig into the specifications and do a lot of web research to prepare for each session - which is going to make me better when this is over and I go back to doing consulting that involves merely light mentoring instead of formal training sessions.

Teaching is HARD!  (to do well ...)

Archived