joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 11-14 Severe Weather Event

Powerball

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z 4KM NAM doesn't even have the ongoing MCS, so it makes sense that it's much further NE with initiation. I think it's a safe toss

The 4K NAM is a cold start model, so it would make sense as to why it doesn't show the ongoing MCS. Use the 06Z run, it does a decent job with the current situation at 15Z.

The effective boundary will no doubt lose definition as the day goes on with all the mixing processes, etc.  However, there's something to be said about completely untouched air mass bumping up against slightly modified profiles.  This boundary should be the main focus for the highest severe threat, but there's no doubt that areas to the northeast towards Chicago will have big time severe potential as well once the atmosphere recharges.  I would have left the enhanced in northeast IL, but I do agree with the location of the higher probs.

I have very little confidence with convection-allowing models today. Very poor performance the last 24 hours, no run-to-run consistency and sub-par initializations. The outflow boundary is very well-defined. That's what I'm very focused on, where it sets up.

DP climbed back up to 71 at CVG with party to mostly sunny skies. Given a couple hours of sunlight here, the current MCS could pack a pretty solid punch mid-afternoon, and then the big show with round 2 tonight. HR derby looks questionable...we'll see.

Convective Ts are in the 90-94 range, already pushing upper 80s south of the boundary.

IMO i think that's the big issue for the Chicagoland crew...things are gonna pop off pretty early and i don't see the OFB washing out of getting back north before it happens. 

12KM NAM 00Z forecast sounding from Rockford, IL along the boundary around the time that it has a supercell moving into the area (if you can't tell from the skew-t, yes it is convectively contaminated, but the soundings from before this hour before convection are similar.)

post-7962-0-21867700-1436800371_thumb.pn

IMO i think that's the big issue for the Chicagoland crew...things are gonna pop off pretty early and i don't see the OFB washing out of getting back north before it happens.

The OFB is not the warm front. Recovery is already occurring out toward the QCA where SQI is already back up to 79/72. The OFB has progressed so far south it's not gonna be big player I think. Agree it's not gonna make it back north, but more likely is even if stuff pops down there it's pretty far removed and unlikely to prevent WF from mixing northeast, or OFB washes out before any explosive development occurs.

The OFB is not the warm front. Recovery is already occurring out toward the QCA where SQI is already back up to 79/72. The OFB has progressed so far south it's not gonna be big player I think. Agree it's not gonna make it back north, but more likely is even if stuff pops down there it's pretty far removed and unlikely to prevent WF from mixing northeast, or OFB washes out before any explosive development occurs.

that's why they pay you the big bucks  :popcorn:

that's why they pay you the big bucks :popcorn:

You know your stuff and make really good calls a lot of the time, so I definitely respect your input on this.

In this case, with what's happening northwest of the OFB with pretty rapid recovery, seems like it won't be as big a deal as what 13z outlook made it to be. Risk area will be down in far southern ILX if OFB is focus lol.

Edit: last few radar scans seem to show OFB is stalling and possibly washing out.

You know your stuff and make really good calls a lot of the time, so I definitely respect your input on this.

In this case, with what's happening northwest of the OFB with pretty rapid recovery, seems like it won't be as big a deal as what 13z outlook made it to be. Risk area will be down in far southern ILX if OFB is focus lol.

The only problem I have is that people need to understand that the threat is not over and done. The word needs to get out that some severe weather is still possible in Chicagoland (NWS Chicago is doing a great job at that, SPC... eh). I would also definitely give props to Danny Neal as he is making sure people understand that the threat is not gone even thought SPC lowered our risk dramatically.

That outflow boundary should lose definition/mix out with time, but what I'm interested in is whether the low level winds well north of it are able to flip all the way around prior to convective redevelopment.  If not, we could end up with a pretty large area of more southerly flow at the surface instead of southwest.

In your opinion where is the greatest Threat this afternoon/evening?

That outflow boundary should lose definition/mix out with time, but what I'm interested in is whether the low level winds well north of it are able to flip all the way around prior to convective redevelopment.  If not, we could end up with a pretty large area of more southerly flow at the surface instead of southwest.

Stupid question... what would that translate to later on with storms?

Archived