joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 11-14 Severe Weather Event

Powerball

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not buying shifting the moderate risk so far southwest. I am very surprised to see that. Would not be surprised if there isn't even a storm in that moderate risk area with the strong cap. Still liking the corridor from south suburbs of Chicago to LAF and Kokomo later this afternoon.

The SPC does possess the ability to update their risk areas later on....as they did this morning....fwiw

I don't think LOT is done for the day...that boundary SW is still festering and lighting up...

Will be an interesting day to track

Agreed. I just don't agree with the moderate placement at this point either... I still think the southern suburbs of Chicago and Northwest and Central Indiana are golden for today (as said nicely by exremewx52). Clearing should be ample by the afternoon. I wonder what SPC will do in their 11:30am outlook update.

I'm very uneasy about the 13z update and very concerned about public perception with such a drastic shift especially if areas that were in MDT, now in Slight still get slammed. Things have evolved as expected so far and the warm front can easily mix back north once clearing occurs. *Maybe* far northeast IL has a lower threat but I still think a good portion of the metro is game on.

I am not buying shifting the moderate risk so far southwest. I am very surprised to see that. Would not be surprised if there isn't even a storm in that moderate risk area with the strong cap. Still liking the corridor from south suburbs of Chicago to LAF and Kokomo later this afternoon.

Well, the outflow boundary is moving SW (should slow down and eventually lift a bit NE) and currently the best overlap of instability and shear is across eastern Iowa to west-central Illinois. I'm not completely confident in how initiation looks today across east-central Illinois, but I think there's good support for initial storms forming across far eastern Iowa into northwestern Illinois. I would tend to think the greatest tornado threat is in that area, early in storm life cycles. Further east, I would think there's more of a conditional risk near remnant convection/outflow, as shear may be locally enhanced.

post-533-0-58744000-1436795640_thumb.jpg

I'm very uneasy about the 13z update and very concerned about public perception with such a drastic shift especially if areas that were in MDT, now in Slight still get slammed. Things have evolved as expected so far and the warm front can easily mix back north once clearing occurs. *Maybe* far northeast IL has a lower threat but I still think a good portion of the metro is game on.

So am I. I see people who upon seeing the new outlook, have discounted getting any severe today as they believe it will all be south in Central Illinois only. I also see it foolish of SPC not to at least keep an Enhanced for at LEAST parts of Chicagoland imo.

lol

i think i heard one rumble.....with the wake low

I heard all kinds of thunder this morning and lightning. I will say the thunder came almost as the line was on top of my location. Would say that was the second best storm of the year. April 9th still wins.

Tree and power line damage in Kenosha and Racine this morning. Many traffic lights are out, which caused a traffic nightmare.

Keep a very close eye on the western extent of the outflow boundary/wind shift. Model guidance has showed little consistency in the placement of this, so surface observations and satellite imagery will be the most helpful.

post-533-0-00866900-1436796886_thumb.jpg

Already was extreme instability in a large portion of Iowa as of 13Z extending SW'ward into SE NE. And SBCAPE values of 1500-2500J/KG along and south of the OFB. With pretty minimal cloud cover across the main threat area, and even into N/NE/NW IL. Giventhe strong mixing ratios later this afternoon/early evening, strong/very strong insolation/heating would expect the OFB to become nearly impossible to detect, if not entirely diffuse. And would likely see the WF mix n'ward as RC said.

Severe Thunderstorm Watch has been issued for parts of central IL and IN.

URGENT - IMMEDIATE BROADCAST REQUESTED

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH NUMBER 409
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
905 AM CDT MON JUL 13 2015

THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH FOR PORTIONS OF
EASTERN AND NORTH CENTRAL ILLINOIS
CENTRAL INDIANA

* EFFECTIVE THIS MONDAY MORNING AND AFTERNOON FROM 905 AM UNTIL
300 PM CDT.

* PRIMARY THREATS INCLUDE...
SCATTERED DAMAGING WIND GUSTS TO 70 MPH LIKELY
SCATTERED LARGE HAIL AND ISOLATED VERY LARGE HAIL EVENTS TO 2
INCHES IN DIAMETER POSSIBLE

SUMMARY...A LONG-LIVED LINE OF THUNDERSTORMS OVER NORTHERN
IL/INDIANA WILL CONTINUE TO TRACK SOUTHEASTWARD INTO PARTS OF
CENTRAL/EASTERN IL AND MUCH OF INDIANA THROUGH THE DAY. THESE
STORMS ARE EXPECTED TO INTENSIFY THIS MORNING...POSING A THREAT OF
DAMAGING WINDS AND HAIL.

THE SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH AREA IS APPROXIMATELY ALONG AND 55
STATUTE MILES NORTH AND SOUTH OF A LINE FROM 30 MILES SOUTHWEST
OF BLOOMINGTON ILLINOIS TO 50 MILES SOUTH SOUTHEAST OF MUNCIE
INDIANA. FOR A COMPLETE DEPICTION OF THE WATCH SEE THE
ASSOCIATED WATCH OUTLINE UPDATE (WOUS64 KWNS WOU9).

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

REMEMBER...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH MEANS CONDITIONS ARE
FAVORABLE FOR SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS IN AND CLOSE TO THE WATCH
AREA. PERSONS IN THESE AREAS SHOULD BE ON THE LOOKOUT FOR
THREATENING WEATHER CONDITIONS AND LISTEN FOR LATER STATEMENTS
AND POSSIBLE WARNINGS. SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS CAN AND OCCASIONALLY
DO PRODUCE TORNADOES.

Yeah, I was surprised to see such a pullback on the northern/eastern fringes.  When that outlook was written, hadn't even really had much time to glean any trends on visible satellite since it's so early.  Some of the CAMs that picked up on this ongoing activity light up the corridor you mentioned. 

0z 4km NAM was west with round #2 (QC and western/central IL). It seemed to do good with this morning's storms. But now the 12z run rolls in and is well east of that solution. Clips Chicago, IKK, far eastern IL...but Indiana bears most of the brunt. Silly stupid models.

12Z NAM depicts a scary situation shows numerous (what I assume would be discrete supercells) along the OFB/WF in Northeast IL SW/W of the Chicago Metro moving into an environment characterized by extreme instability (MUCAPE of 5000+J/KG), strong 0-500mb bulk shear (50-60kts), and also 250-350m2/s2 0-3KM SRH. All leading to an impressive parameter space, widespread 0-3KM EHI's of 6-12, an an area of impressive 5 to 10 STP's along the boundary.

Archived