THAT A MOIST AND EXTREMELY UNSTABLE AIR MASS WILL RE-DEVELOP. MOST  

12Z MODELS DID NOT INITIALIZE THE LOCATION OF THE OUTFLOW  

BOUNDARY...LENDING UNCERTAINTY TO PLACEMENT OF CONVECTIVE INITIATION  

LATER TODAY. CURRENT THINKING IS THAT RAPID CONVECTIVE DEVELOPMENT  

WILL OCCUR BY MID/LATE AFTERNOON OVER SOUTHERN WI/NORTHERN IL. RARE  

COMBINATIONS OF EXTREME INSTABILITY AND FAVORABLE VERTICAL SHEAR  

SUGGEST A RISK OF INTENSE SUPERCELLS CAPABLE OF VERY LARGE HAIL AND  

A FEW TORNADOES. THIS ACTIVITY WILL LIKELY CONGEAL INTO ANOTHER  

FAST-MOVING BOW ECHO THIS EVENING AND TRACK ACROSS PARTS OF IL/IND.  

..HART/MOSIER.. 07/13/2015  

Looks about how I was thinking.  They properly returned the enhanced into Chicago, and also upped tor probs there as well.  

IWX Update:

UPDATE  

ISSUED AT 1131 AM EDT MON JUL 13 2015  

GROWING CONCERN FOR SIGNIFICANT SEVERE WEATHER THIS  
AFTERNOON...MAINLY SOUTH OF US 30. TEMPERATURES HAVE ALREADY JUMPED  
INTO THE UPPER 70S ACROSS NORTHERN ILLINOIS IN THE WAKE OF MORNING  
CONVECTION. EXPECT TEMPERATURES TO RISE QUICKLY IN OUR AREA BY EARLY  
AFTERNOON. FULL SUN FOR SEVERAL HOURS AND EFFICIENT  
EVAPOTRANSPORATION SHOULD RESULT IN MODERATE TO EXTREME  
DESTABILIZATION ALONG AND WEST OF A MICHIGAN CITY TO FORT WAYNE  
LINE. LAST FEW RUNS OF THE HRRR HAVE SUPPORTED THIS THINKING WITH  
STORMS DEVELOPING ALONG THIS FRONT BY LATE AFTERNOON. IF STORMS  
DEVELOP IN THAT ENVIRONMENT...SUPERCELLS WILL BE THE PRIMARY STORM  
MODE WITH 0-6 KM SHEAR IN EXCESS OF 50 KNOTS...STEEP MID LEVEL LAPSE  
RATES...AND SIGNIFICANT TURNING OF THE WINDS WITH HEIGHT. TORNADOES  
WILL ALSO BE POSSIBLE IN THIS SCENARIO GIVEN SOUTHERLY SURFACE WINDS  
AND AN INCREASINGLY STRONG LOW LEVEL JET FROM THE WEST. MAY NEED TO  
ADD SEVERE WORDING TO THE GRIDS WITHIN THE NEXT FEW HOURS IF  
DESTABILIZATION BEGINS AS EXPECTED.  

They really should of upgraded to a 15%

Best guess is that could happen at 20Z if it becomes evident that the tornado/supercell threat is realized, lots of uncertainty right now due to the models being a mess. A 10% chance for seeing a tornado within 25 miles of any point is still pretty high when you think about it...

IWX Update:

UPDATE  

ISSUED AT 1131 AM EDT MON JUL 13 2015  

GROWING CONCERN FOR SIGNIFICANT SEVERE WEATHER THIS  

AFTERNOON...MAINLY SOUTH OF US 30. TEMPERATURES HAVE ALREADY JUMPED  

INTO THE UPPER 70S ACROSS NORTHERN ILLINOIS IN THE WAKE OF MORNING  

CONVECTION. EXPECT TEMPERATURES TO RISE QUICKLY IN OUR AREA BY EARLY  

AFTERNOON. FULL SUN FOR SEVERAL HOURS AND EFFICIENT  

EVAPOTRANSPORATION SHOULD RESULT IN MODERATE TO EXTREME  

DESTABILIZATION ALONG AND WEST OF A MICHIGAN CITY TO FORT WAYNE  

LINE. LAST FEW RUNS OF THE HRRR HAVE SUPPORTED THIS THINKING WITH  

STORMS DEVELOPING ALONG THIS FRONT BY LATE AFTERNOON. IF STORMS  

DEVELOP IN THAT ENVIRONMENT...SUPERCELLS WILL BE THE PRIMARY STORM  

MODE WITH 0-6 KM SHEAR IN EXCESS OF 50 KNOTS...STEEP MID LEVEL LAPSE  

RATES...AND SIGNIFICANT TURNING OF THE WINDS WITH HEIGHT. TORNADOES  

WILL ALSO BE POSSIBLE IN THIS SCENARIO GIVEN SOUTHERLY SURFACE WINDS  

AND AN INCREASINGLY STRONG LOW LEVEL JET FROM THE WEST. MAY NEED TO  

ADD SEVERE WORDING TO THE GRIDS WITHIN THE NEXT FEW HOURS IF  

DESTABILIZATION BEGINS AS EXPECTED.  

WOW that really makes me feel good that they're saying that in N Indiana. Maybe there's hope that the moderate and enhanced will come even further north and east later.

I am starting to loose confidence of anything "major" in the western Burbs, around where I am located. (I55/I294 interchange, give er take a mile or two.).. The previous outbreak that tore up Coal City set itself up with a major enviorment, similar to this, and it veered around the city. Unless 20Z brings some changes, I will not be too surprised if we just get some minor wind and rain. 

On another note, it's very humid and warm, and everything is rebounding quickly, faster than any other setup this summer. Probably attributed to the quick departure of the MCS. 

My biggest concern is the "hype" being regarded as false, and everybody turns a blind eye to the weather, as Chicagoins normally do, and then having something major come tearing through, be it supercells or a linear type setup. I will continue watching somewhat closey, but I am going to start heading the way of "I'll believe it when I see it". 

From an awareness point, I can see the argument about higher probabilities in Chicago. Analytically, I would think the greatest tornado threat lies along the instability gradient from Quad Cities area to NW IL. As mentioned, mesoanalysis currently shows 60-70kts of bulk shear along this gradient. Can't say I disagree much with the SPC graphics, although the wording seems fairly meh given the parameters.

From an awareness point, I can see the argument about higher probabilities in Chicago. Analytically, I would think the greatest tornado threat lies along the instability gradient from Quad Cities area to NW IL. As mentioned, mesoanalysis currently shows 60-70kts of bulk shear along this gradient. Can't say I disagree much with the SPC graphics, although the wording seems fairly meh given the parameters.

I agree

But you're acting as if that instability gradient is fixed and won't move.  If it's already over the QC/NW IL and the area to the east is clearing and destabilizing, what do you think is going to happen?  It might not make it to Chicago, but it sure as hell is probably going to get closer.

Since I have been sleeping, I didn't get a chance to comment on this but I agree wholeheartedly with the others that the MDT shouldn't have been removed especially down to a slight and they are already correcting back. I would expect more correction back toward their original outlook as well now that it is more obvious that the morning convection isn't going to have the effect they thought it would have at 1300z.

Recent vis sat imagery appears to show the western portion of the OFB in E IA is beginning the processes of retreating slowly E/NE. Somewhat of an increase in cloud cover though along this portion... isolated elevated small shower activity in N IL/S WI... 

WOW that really makes me feel good that they're saying that in N Indiana. Maybe there's hope that the moderate and enhanced will come even further north and east later.

We've had over a foot of rain in the last six weeks. My hope is that this system stays the hell out of NW Ohio. :)

But you're acting as if that instability gradient is fixed and won't move.  If it's already over the QC/NW IL and the area to the east is clearing and destabilizing, what do you think is going to happen?  It might not make it to Chicago, but it sure as hell is probably going to get closer.

Yeah, the warm front will move more northeast from the current location, that OFB has washed out on radar and satellite so the doors are wide open.

Yeah, the warm front will move more northeast from the current location, that OFB has washed out on radar and satellite so the doors are wide open.

Exactly. This is where the RAP has the instability gradient by this evening. Might be a bit overdone with the eastward extent...but still.

post-8696-0-07213500-1436806448_thumb.jp

But you're acting as if that instability gradient is fixed and won't move. If it's already over the QC/NW IL and the area to the east is clearing and destabilizing, what do you think is going to happen? It might not make it to Chicago, but it sure as hell is probably going to get closer.

Maybe splitting hairs. I suppose timing of initiation is going to be a factor too. Earlier firing might favor more of a QC area, while later could bring initiation cautiously close to Chicago.

Satellite imagery shows the boundary nearly stationary, but there is time for NE movement. The most impressive obs are down near PIA, while SQI has veered to the SW.

Not an easy call. It's going to be close, particularly on the SW side of Chicago.

Maybe splitting hairs. I suppose timing of initiation is going to be a factor too. Earlier firing might favor more of a QC area, while later could bring initiation cautiously close to Chicago.

Satellite imagery shows the boundary nearly stationary, but there is time for NE movement. The most impressive obs are down near PIA, while SQI has veered to the SW.

Not an easy call. It's going to be close, particularly on the SW side of Chicago.

But you need SW flow in that area to recover.  And if you look at velocity from DVN, you can see that even with SW sfc flow, there's over 90° of turning in the low-mid levels!

Archived