• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 11-14 Severe Weather Event

Powerball

Stupid question... what would that translate to later on with storms?

More low level turning, i.e. increased tornado threat.  Even if recovery falls a bit short and model instability is somewhat overdone, there's still going to be strong to extreme instability, and adding more low level shear could make things more dicey.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More low level turning, i.e. increased tornado threat.  Even if recovery falls a bit short and model instability is somewhat overdone, there's still going to be strong to extreme instability, and adding more low level shear could make things more dicey.

Thanks

The only problem I have is that people need to understand that the threat is not over and done. The word needs to get out that some severe weather is still possible in Chicagoland (NWS Chicago is doing a great job at that, SPC... eh). I would also definitely give props to Danny Neal as he is making sure people understand that the threat is not gone even thought SPC lowered our risk dramatically.

That's what I tried to do with graphic shared on SM, to not back things off in public perception as much with what we put out vs the SPC outlook.

That outflow boundary should lose definition/mix out with time, but what I'm interested in is whether the low level winds well north of it are able to flip all the way around prior to convective redevelopment. If not, we could end up with a pretty large area of more southerly flow at the surface instead of southwest.

Excellent point, and based off latest ILX scans, seems like OFB is stalling and starting to lose definition some.

I think it's kinda cool (or maybe I'm dumb :lol: ) how the leading edge of the line west of Indy metro is almost perfectly aligned west to east.

attachicon.gifind .png

Nice hook-like feature near Indianapolis. The squall is ~60 miles away from me... bring it. The sooner the better.

Starting to get some clearing in NW IN with the 1545z satellite shot

KOAO7sY.gif

As long as the southern Iowa stuff doesn't get too out of control....there will be a nice channel of recovery available From the looks of it at this point...

Edit....looks like the cap is starting win out in that location

Numerous 70 and + DPs popping up across areas that were fringed this morning in southern wisco and north central - NW il

The 1300 UTC outlook decision was terrible.  Clearing and recovery are well underway, and with mixing from a bore at the western end of the OFB and a closed circulation in SE MN, recovery should be rapid and dramatic.  All this morning round did was ensure the metro, especially the S and W metro, has a tremendous reservoir of surface vorticity to tap.

87/77 @ KDEC already

Sent from my iPhone 6

That's insane!

The 1300 UTC outlook decision was terrible.  Clearing and recovery are well underway, and with mixing from a bore at the western end of the OFB and a closed circulation in SE MN, recovery should be rapid and dramatic.  All this morning round did was ensure the metro, especially the S and W metro, has a tremendous reservoir of surface vorticity to tap.

Thinking 15% hatched tornado?

The 1300 UTC outlook decision was terrible. Clearing and recovery are well underway, and with mixing from a bore at the western end of the OFB and a closed circulation in SE MN, recovery should be rapid and dramatic. All this morning round did was ensure the metro, especially the S and W metro, has a tremendous reservoir of surface vorticity to tap.

Was thinking this morning's MCS was just the "right" stength/orientation/timing for more troubles later in parts of LOT...maybe not extreme NE LOT perhaps...but through the heart and points South and west

Was thinking this morning's MCS was just the "right" stength/orientation/timing for more troubles later in parts of LOT...maybe not extreme NE LOT perhaps...but through the heart and points South and west

It's already back to 82/75 at Sterling and 81/75 at Moline.  They better get ready to push the windshield wiper back in the opposite direction.

While I've maintained south and west was the way to go, I think that where the moderate/enhanced risk is at now seems to extreme in that direction.  I would expect in the next update for that axis to shift east.

Excellent point, and based off latest ILX scans, seems like OFB is stalling and starting to lose definition some.

I mean, at some point, you don't really need more instability.  Going to throw some random numbers out there but you could argue that 4000 J/kg CAPE with decent low level shear is more ominous than 6000 J/kg CAPE with lesser shear. 

Archived