Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA and the fringes - Summer into Fall

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many other well respected forecasters do Not agree with this at all. There are many computer models that show a great pattern setting up for this winter in the east . There are several El- Niño winters that have produced good snow in our region, with the most recent being 2010.

This is Not time to punt ! I plan on us spiking the football in March after another great winter in Central PA !

What I hope for this winter is to not nickel and dime my way to average for my location. For me, I'd like to see four or five 10-12 inch true winter storms.

All biases aside, its fair to say that there are mixed signals and while the current look isn't necessarily a snow lovers delight, being old enough (notice I didn't say wise enough) to have seen some great early looks fade to lotsa nothing, as well as some not so great looks turn out pretty decent (all of us here can remember the winter of 2014-15 right :lmao: ).  While not a huge winter, last year we the + NAO telling many to forget winter, as cutter city seemed to be the only option...while some of us were hanging onto Oct. snow being ahead of average.  I'd just caution to say that despite the strength of the current Nino blah blah blah to exercise a little more patience before throwing in any towel...or going all in....

I can honestly say that I find it truly amazing/humbling to see how when the odds look so good/bad, how sometimes the chips don't end up where the odds favor....and Mother nature always has the deal.  I mean that from both sides of the isle.  I really think that keeps me coming back to the winter sport of watching models/patterns evolve, as my fascination never has waned.  Despite my love of snow, its fascinating to see how things end up (bad or good).  I look forward to many hours of watching (and hopefully crashing the board a few times)...in search of snow. :whistle:

Great autumn day out there for sure.  Good to smell the ol' woodstove smoke in the air.  Enjoy all.

Nut

yep about 4 miles or so from me but im on the wrong side of the elevation.

Hey man, good to see you. I was thinking of you the other day, hope all is well.

I had 29 this morning. First time in awhile i had to scrape the windshield as we're refinishing 4 pieces of furniture on my side of the garage. Pretty heacy frost.

Yesterday during our last softball game of the fall, we had it all. Rain, sleet and snow and it seemed like the wind was relentless.

First fire of the year yesterday, like nut said, god to smell the wood smoke hanging in the air.

Low was 21° here this morning. Coldest temperature I've seen in October, by at least 4-5°.  A definitive period on the end of the growing season.

while I saw 31, i was thinking by the coverage of frost, that mowing may soon be off the to do list for a few months.

Now just enjoy the smell of leaves :).  Autumn is a close second for me.  Just a beautiful time of year.

Hey man, good to see you. I was thinking of you the other day, hope all is well.

I had 29 this morning. First time in awhile i had to scrape the windshield as we're refinishing 4 pieces of furniture on my side of the garage. Pretty heacy frost.

Yesterday during our last softball game of the fall, we had it all. Rain, sleet and snow and it seemed like the wind was relentless.

First fire of the year yesterday, like nut said, god to smell the wood smoke hanging in the air.

Everything is as well as can be - Thanks for asking.

Forgot to chime in myself here yesterday.  Low got down to 26, hovering around there from around 4am until 7:30am.  Not bad for mid-October.  This low was my first sub-freezing low of the season as well.  Climatologically, the average date of the first 32 or below reading in the Carlisle area is October 15th, and our growing season is exactly 180 days long with average last 32 occurring on April 15th.

Here's to another exciting winter season (but I still want to enjoy the perfect fall weather of October, first)

---Stephen

PS>>High temp this afternoon rose to 73 after a morning low of 33 giving me a 40-degree diurnal day!

Good to hear.

Hope you guys have a great winter up that way - look forward to your posts!

Miss Jamie (or Jaime ... sorry, I know so many and they spell it both ways I always get it confused). Our meteorologist buddies need to pop back too! 

Wonder if Jamie will be back this year?

Well, I had an awesome time up in the Whites this weekend. That area is simply gorgeous with the Presidential's and all the other surrounding peaks. Temperatures were in the upper 30's when we got there and dropped on Saturday and Sunday. The front went through on Saturday evening and snow squalls dropped anywhere from 0.25" in the lowest valleys to upwards of 3" on the ridges near 3000'. Mt. Washington got hammered with 8" of snow, 2' of rime ice and 2.5' drifts. Unfortunately, summit closed up for the public this weekend and won't reopen till next May. Didn't matter since I got to see the whole area and took over 100 pictures. I posted some in the New England Foliage thread. I'll pick out my favorite ones soon and post them when I can get to it. Currently working back to back 12 hour shifts. Gotta make 40 hours by Friday haha. Just waiting for winter down this way now. 

If you guys don't mind I'm going to start a new thread on Nov 1st.  By that time we will be effectively transitioned to late fall/early winter discussions.

Good idea...finally into the time of year where it doesn't take us 4 months to get 1,000 posts.

Low of 31° here this morning with a decent frost. Looks like a nice rain event Wednesday followed by some seasonably cool weather until the end of the weekend.  November should start out relatively warm.  I'll take above normal until Thanksgiving if I can get it.

Very underwhelming this fall on the rain events, both in terms of intensity and duration.  

So far I have 1.41" in the gauge here in Tamaqua.

On a side note. How about that runaway blimp? I guess it finally came down near Muncy late this afternoon. I don't know the exact course it took, but we had a few power lines not too far from my house mysteriously downed around 2:30 this afternoon which could possibly be from the tether it was dragging along with it.

Archived