• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2015 Tropical Season Thread

CT Valley Snowman

I think a storm near category four strength is possible if it is moving at a very rapid pace.  Let's say its moving at around 20mph and the strength of the winds are between 120-130mph, it will likely stay around 120mph when it reaches the SNE coastline, the SSTs aren't that warm, but enough to sustain it tropical wise.  Yes JT its me James.

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a storm near category four strength is possible if it is moving at a very rapid pace. Let's say its moving at around 20mph and the strength of the winds are between 120-130mph, it will likely stay around 120mph when it reaches the SNE coastline, the SSTs aren't that warm, but enough to sustain it tropical wise. Yes JT its me James.

It's all about staying in the Gulf Stream as long as possible and then rocketing north. That's what 38 did and Sandy even more so.

LOL, 96L is getting its act together, now at 90% chance of development and actually may become a tropical cyclone when I said it would at midday Tuesday.

Honestly if this wasn't in the middle of the Atlantic it probably would already be classified. 

vis-animated.gif

The latest hurricane models are clustered on a track towards the islands in about 7 days. 

storm_96.gif

This won't make it to the US, I'm more worried about Bermuda.

Sure about that? Global models develop a strong ridge to the North which bends the track back towards the Islands. I think the most likely scenario is that the system eventually enters the Caribbean where the shear will take its toll or that it tries to island hop and eventually dies over Hispaniola. 

The scale runs from 26C-28C. Some areas are along or above the 80F isotherm. The resolution is not detailed enough to pick it up. It was mostly for the VA Capes North claim, we clearly have warmer waters elevated northward.

Posting an anomaly map doesn't help us.

The map you posted shows the shelf waters south of LI around or just over 24C. That is mid 70s. So the claim that we are already there is not true.

There's a reason hurricanes fall apart rapidly when they head north of the VA Capes. That was kind of Tip's point.

Posting an anomaly map doesn't help us.

The map you posted shows the shelf waters south of LI around or just over 24C. That is mid 70s. So the claim that we are already there is not true.

There's a reason hurricanes fall apart rapidly when they head north of the VA Capes. That was kind of Tip's point.

The water temp at the Long Island buoy 44025 is currently 74.7

Archived