Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Mid-June severe threats

Ian

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

regardless of whether a svr threat materializes, the threat for torrential rain will be there (assuming that the track is being properly captured).     the 18z NAM nest has what looks to be an 8"+ bullseye in 6 hours in northern VA Saturday night.   Looks like upslope enhancement.

I just took a look at the 18z NAM...wow...those are some impressive totals it's spitting out. 

regardless of whether a svr threat materializes, the threat for torrential rain will be there (assuming that the track is being properly captured).     the 18z NAM nest has what looks to be an 8"+ bullseye in 6 hours in northern VA Saturday night.   Looks like upslope enhancement.

Tommy Tass. from WBAL depicted a 4+ inch stripe going right across central MD....shows the low coming squarely into MD on Sunday instead of further north in PA like early thinking.

TOG 

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED  
TORNADO WARNING  
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WAKEFIELD VA  
937 PM EDT THU JUN 18 2015  

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN WAKEFIELD HAS ISSUED A  

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...  
LANCASTER COUNTY IN EASTERN VIRGINIA...  
NORTHWESTERN MIDDLESEX COUNTY IN EASTERN VIRGINIA...  

* UNTIL 1015 PM EDT  

* AT 936 PM EDT...TRAINED WEATHER SPOTTERS REPORTED A TORNADO OVER  
MORATTICO...OR NEAR ROBLEY. DOPPLER RADAR SHOWED THIS TORNADO  
MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 25 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...  
KILMARNOCK...LANCASTER...MORATTICO...NUTTSVILLE...WEEMS...  
BERTRAND...BELLE ISLE STATE PARK...ALFONSO...MOLLUSK...LIVELY...  
SOMERS...CHRIST CHURCH...SENORA AND BROOK VALE.  

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...  

TO REPEAT...A TORNADO HAS BEEN CONFIRMED BY STORM SPOTTERS. TAKE  
COVER NOW.
MOVE TO A BASEMENT OR AN INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST FLOOR  
OF A STURDY BUILDING. AVOID WINDOWS. IF YOU ARE IN A MOBILE HOME OR  
OUTDOORS...MOVE TO THE CLOSEST SUBSTANTIAL SHELTER AND PROTECT  
YOURSELF FROM FLYING DEBRIS.  

SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENT  
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WAKEFIELD VA  
926 PM EDT THU JUN 18 2015  

VAC057-159-190145-  
/O.CON.KAKQ.TO.W.0005.000000T0000Z-150619T0145Z/  
RICHMOND VA-ESSEX VA-  
926 PM EDT THU JUN 18 2015  

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 945 PM EDT FOR  
SOUTHEASTERN RICHMOND AND SOUTHEASTERN ESSEX COUNTIES...  

AT 926 PM EDT...TRAINED WEATHER SPOTTERS REPORTED A TORNADO. THIS  
TORNADIC STORM WAS LOCATED OVER SHARPS...OR NEAR ROBLEY...MOVING  
SOUTHEAST AT 20 MPH

LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...  
ROBLEY...SHARPS...TIDEWATER AND DOWNING.

Boy, I leave the area for NC and this is what I miss. Great reports today and thanks for everyone posting storm impact images. Those were great pics by Famartin. I'll be in Ocean City on Saturday, so hopefully Bill doesn't wash us out when I'm down there. If he does, then it might be a card and drinking day. NAM certainly looks very wet for many.

ugh.   the runs of the HRRR this evening have really pulled the plug on this scenario...

Take a look at the NAM and 4km NAM for Saturday. Yoda and I are impressed. If we could speed it up just a touch it'd be golden I bet but even currently it's not too bad. 

hard not to be impressed.   some instability, impressive low-level shear, good dynamics.    still thinking it's more of a heavy rain event, but I would not be surprised if the day 2 outlook later tonight gives us a slight risk

Take a look at the NAM and 4km NAM for Saturday. Yoda and I are impressed. If we could speed it up just a touch it'd be golden I bet but even currently it's not too bad. 

Fringed by a marginal risk for day 2 from SPC. Sim radar on the NAM run from 06z still looks good but parameters are not printing out the crazy stuff they were last night. Not surprising. High risk is probably going to be correct with the main threat being heavy rain. Hopefully we can just get a bit of enhancement to give us a touch of svr. 

Could use a gully washer 8"+ event....getting starved for a nice outbreak of flooding or severe.

Probably won't be anywhere near that right near DC - looks like closer to the mountains was the highlighted jackpot at least on previous runs of the NAM. We'll see what the 12Z NAM has to say about severe chances. 

3z is tricky.. can work but often the boundary layer is stabilizing by then. It's definitely close though... shift it up a little more plz. 

When in reality it'll probably slow down and screw us completely. My guess is we'll be stabilizing but have a shot at a quick gustnado or something when the batch of storms and heavy rain moves in. I'm sure we'll have a slight risk tomorrow - SPC has the marginal placed to our SW for now it seems. 

12z GFS soundings for 00z SUN are decent; they back up the NAM soundings some, but not to the same level

NAM is probably too intense with the parameters. Would hedge GFS probably for now. GFS is always tempered. Maybe a middle ground best case scenario. All bets off tho if we can slide the arrival of the system up a few hours. 

Day 2 SLGT risk issued for LWX CWA... no mentiom of tors (as of yet)

..LEE OF THE CENTRAL APPALACHIANS TO DELMARVA AREA    30-45 KT SWLYS AT 500 MB WILL OVERSPREAD MUCH OF THIS REGION  DOWNSTREAM YIELDING A BROAD SWATH OF AT LEAST SEMI-ORGANIZED SEVERE  POTENTIAL. ALTHOUGH MID-LEVEL LAPSE RATES WILL BE WEAK...DIABATIC  HEATING OF A PERSISTENT RICHLY MOIST AIR MASS SHOULD YIELD POCKETS  OF AT LEAST MODEST BUOYANCY. AS NUMEROUS TSTMS LIKELY FORM DURING  THE AFTERNOON...SOME OF THESE SHOULD ORGANIZE INTO MULTICELL  CLUSTERS WITH RISKS FOR DAMAGING WINDS AND PERHAPS MARGINALLY SEVERE  HAIL. 

Archived