Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 10-20 Heavy Rain/Storms/Remnants

A-L-E-K

- THIS WAS THE SECOND LARGEST HAIL IN NORTHEAST AND NORTH CENTRAL  

ILLINOIS. THE ONLY INSTANCE OF OBSERVED LARGER HAIL WAS ON APRIL  23 1961...WHEN SIX INCH DIAMETER HAIL WAS REPORTED IN KANKAKEE  COUNTY.      

That's some big hail. I've mentioned it before of course, but I'll never forget June 8, 1981...when softballs destroyed my parent's brand new car that was sitting in the driveway. I remember me and the neighbor girl putting a few of them in the freezer. Good times. 

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's some big hail. I've mentioned it before of course, but I'll never forget June 8, 1981...when softballs destroyed my parent's brand new car that was sitting in the driveway. I remember me and the neighbor girl putting a few of them in the freezer. Good times. 

My wife purchased a new car on a Saturday and it was parked during softball sized hail on Tuesday.  We went back to the dealer and got a new one on Saturday.  

That sounds about right. It's typically what happens in these setups...

The latest GFS says forget severe weather here tomorrow, as it now takes the low over Toledo.

I know the gfs was closer than the euro in regards to instability yesterday, but has it even been close position wise for this event?

The warm front was expected to blast through here on its way to northern Iowa, but only far southeast Iowa is currently in the warm sector.  We've just been socked in with thick clouds all day.  All the rain has bypassed the CR/IC area so far.  DVN is thinking 3-4 inches of rain later, which sounds pretty high, but we'll see.  The hrrr has actually shifted the heavier cells to my south later.

Tighest thermal/theta-e gradient is actually across north central and northeast IL right now with veered sfc winds further west south of the boundary with more clouds moving eastward into western/northwest IL. Those clouds will hamper the warm front coming north and you might get a more SW-NE orientated warm front later on. 

The best destabilization should be south of the Chicago metro IMO which will have the max heating as the higher clouds filter out. It's already in the upper 80's across eastern IL. Will just need the p-falls to back the winds later on

I was just talking about that at work.

Was playing bball outside when that started. Damage was widespread.

19z obs - front slowly creeping north

post-14-0-22472200-1434049967_thumb.png

Given lake reinforcement of the boundary, expected surface low track and possibility of convection, I wouldn't be shocked if the front never really makes it through Chicago.  Could envision it getting hung up somewhere over there.

Archived