joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Unofficial Start to Summer Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No problem...have a great trip and thanks for the compliment. Just don't be like my neighbor who found a stray

cat on the beach there and snuck it back on the plane ride home. :D

Good morning! My wife just reminded me that I forgot to ask what night weather is like in Aruba in August. Is night climate hoodie weather or can I comfortably walk around in a linen shirt?

Again, thanks! Much obliged :)

Good morning! My wife just reminded me that I forgot to ask what night weather is like in Aruba in August. Is night climate hoodie weather or can I comfortably walk around in a linen shirt?

Again, thanks! Much obliged :)

You should be fine in a linen shirt. It doesn't get cold there

Hard to believe the Fourth of July has come and gone already. Every year seems to get more and more fleeting.

Sure does.  Days will now start to shorten with noticeable effects within a few weeks.   Time flies, that is for sure.  Deep summer this week which is good to see.  4th was a bit cool for my liking.

So that -AO,-NAO look it has to occur or we could be f***ed this winter. this el niño is looking to be strong thats for sure

I wouldn't expect a good winter for cold. Snow is always a possibility as there will be good southern stream energy. It only takes one like 82/83. Out west they are going to go from hardly any snow the last two years to more then they know what to do with. Also the end of the California drought

I wouldn't expect a good winter for cold. Snow is always a possibility as there will be good southern stream energy. It only takes one like 82/83. Out west they are going to go from hardly any snow the last two years to more then they know what to do with. Also the end of the California drought

Yeah California needs their drought to end. And I hope we block this winter

West end 2 has life gaurds on weekends this summer. It's very secluded and requires a long long walk. But agreed it's the prettiest western Long Island beach. Long beach is to built up to qualify for a natural beach. My personal favorite beach is lido west which has the best waves on western Long Island

i like gunnison beach

75% of my snow in 2009-10 fell at temperatures above 32 degrees. However, my total was 72" for that winter, and we had very deep snowpack for an entire month, so I'd gladly take another year like that. All we need is marginal cold for big snows in our area.

That's a pretty great shot Seanick. It's always refreshing to see photos of the fireworks in the context of the larger celebration instead of just the pyro itself, and you really nailed the human aspect of it. Looks like you found a nice spot for it.

Thanks. They shot it off from two places in liberty state Park. This was the less known shooting location. Th other was near the statue of liberty and was packed.

I have a decent job. I purchased my house for under 550k. This is why it pays to live where I do. My house out on the island would cost almost double and I couldn't afford the taxes.

Most people can't afford a place that expensive...I was making over 50k teaching and tutoring SATs at "good jobs" and could barely save a few thousand a year after rent, car payment, car insurance, tolls, groceries, gas, yearly vacation, etc. No way I would have the money for a house that requires 100k down and 25k/year in mortgage payment.

That's what's called wealthy.

Most people can't afford a place that expensive...I was making over 50k teaching and tutoring SATs at "good jobs" and could barely save a few thousand a year after rent, car payment, car insurance, tolls, groceries, gas, yearly vacation, etc. No way I would have the money for a house that requires 100k down and 25k/year in mortgage payment.

You have to make over 100k single or combined just to buy a modest house and get by on the island. It's certianly more affordable where he is but you would still need to crack that 100k threshold to have what he has

Maybe if you moved out of Westchester County you would be able to save more money. My taxes are half of what you pay.

We are due for a clunker-it's been good the last 7-8 years outside of 11-12.

I remember from last year you said you were engaged to be married...once you tie the knot, you can send your wife out to work to ease your financial burdens...

I would rather die than live East of the Hudson River.

Actually I take that back, I could live East of the Hudson River as long as I was North of the Putnam County line.

Traffic is bad all over this area, but it is especially bad on Long Island. Most of Long Island is a lot like coastal NJ, just with double and triple the taxes. The fact that you can't get in or out of Long Island without crossing NYC makes things even worse. There have been times where it has taken me over 3 hours to get where my sister lives in Smithtown. 

Long Island is world renown as perhaps the most exclusive place to live in America...when F. Scott Fitzgerald penned The Great Gatsby and wanted to pick a venue that absolutely captured what High Society was...and still is...he chose Long Island...not NJ...and not anywhere else either.

Well to each there own. I have no problem paying my mortgage and taxes and I live a nice life.

Traffic is bad all over this area, but it is especially bad on Long Island. Most of Long Island is a lot like coastal NJ, just with double and triple the taxes. The fact that you can't get in or out of Long Island without crossing NYC makes things even worse. There have been times where it has taken me over 3 hours to get where my sister lives in Smithtown. 

If you are not from the area, you do not know all the ins and outs of traveling through the city and long island. You do not take the highway / parkway / expressway during rush hour, you take local streets. Even driving thru manhattan, you have to zig zag to avoid certain roads.

Maybe if you moved out of Westchester County you would be able to save more money. My taxes are half of what you pay.

When I was living on my own, I had apartments in Pelham Bay (Bronx) and Bay Ridge (Brooklyn). Both places were reasonably expensive but the rents in Bay Ridge were insane...I paid $650 a month for a tiny room in an apartment shared with three other guys, and that was considered a good deal. The rent did include all utilities and Internet, but still...and to think a studio in Bay Ridge is $1400-1600 a month and a one-bedroom is close to $2000/month. Crazy!

I also lived alone in rural New Hampshire, but I was working at a boarding school so the room+board was included as part of the salary package. Very different situation which made it difficult to assess cost of living, but it was pretty cheap up there...groceries and gas were much less than down here.

Long Island is world renown as perhaps the most exclusive place to live in America...when F. Scott Fitzgerald penned The Great Gatsby and wanted to pick a venue that absolutely captured what High Society was...and still is...he chose Long Island...not NJ...and not anywhere else either. 

One just has to drive up on the N shore , N of N BLVD from Glen Cove out to Loyd Harbor to get the feel of Fitzgerald wanted you to see . This is a great quick read as to who was there during that time  .

. $(KGrHqNHJC8FFG,qLnf+BRZB+0t8uw~~_35.JPG

I already told you how low my property taxes are, but by all means keep living in NY and paying double.

I have never heard anyone in NJ or NY inform they have low property taxes.

Most people use terms outrageous or another term.

How someone with a  $550K has low property taxes is odd.

I consider low property taxes around 2K a year.

Best

Archived