joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May Observation Thread

Solak

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MBY picked up a very unexpected 0.83 inch of rainfall this afternoon.  A couple different torrential showers hovered over my neighborhood for an extended period.  It felt very tropical, and it was very welcome.

I've now picked up measurable rainfall each of the last four days here in May (including today), after not receiving anything in May before that.  Quite the turnaround (about an inch and a half), and I am very thankful as the ground was quite parched.

Had one last storm roll through slowly from SE to NW.  A nightcap.  It brought my one-day total to 1.23 inches of rainfall.  I stand amazed.  :blink:

May the rest of you also find the rainfall your yards desperately need.  Sorry, NC_hailstorm.  I was in the exact same boat until yesterday.  Since then, the faucet has been turned on, for whatever reason.

.07" in the past 19 days. Yesterday was very interesting. Was warm and sweaty humid in the morning; by late afternoon, humidity had dropped to 33%, and the dewpoint dropped to 54°. Temp maxed at 86°, but the Heat Index was 'only' 84°. It was actually comfortable, even in the sun.

0.00" yesterday. 3.24" for May (using the CoCoRaHS reporting data), but only .07" in the last 21 days.

well if this is right you will be up to the eyeballs in rain...this includes the hurricane the latest run has hitting the Carolinas

this is the 06Z CMC run that kept the tropical system offshore, either way next 10 days look wet

May 15 will beat August 07 if it doesn't rain today and that was a brutal month.

Holding at .26

uggghh, don't even mention that unspeakable month. Worst month of heat an misery EVER!

For those of us in Easley, what a storm that was on Thursday evening, haven't seen a downpour like that in many a day. Over 4 inches in an hour and a half! 

Wow, it's pouring like crazy outside right now. It's only been raining about 15-20 mins and the streets/front and backyard are already flooding pretty bad. We've had a few loud crackles of thunder as well. It was 83°F and cloudy right before it started raining.

EDIT: Well, only 5 minutes later and it's over. Still some thunder lingering around though.

uggghh, don't even mention that unspeakable month. Worst month of heat an misery EVER!

For those of us in Easley, what a storm that was on Thursday evening, haven't seen a downpour like that in many a day. Over 4 inches in an hour and a half! 

August 2007 didn't seem that bad to me. It was a very dry heat, low dewpoints. Summer 2010 was the most miserable summer I can ever remember. The humidity was unreal.

Wow, it's pouring like crazy outside right now. It's only been raining about 15-20 mins and the streets/front and backyard are already flooding pretty bad. We've had a few loud crackles of thunder as well. It was 83°F and cloudy right before it started raining.

EDIT: Well, only 5 minutes later and it's over. Still some thunder lingering around though.

Excluding today, ATL has received 4.25" of rainfall since just 5/17. This, alone, is about 0.5" more than the normal for the entire month of May. This came after a very dry 5/1-16 (only a T). Very nice recovery.

I noticed that the map you posted shows very dry conditions for April-May in GA and AL which seems to be the opposite of what we've seen this year. April was extremely wet and May ended up being near average in most places.

I'm sure Larry knows the answer to this, but I wonder what is the latest date for Atlanta's first 90 degree temp. It still hasn't hit 90 this year in Atlanta and usually there are one or two days in May where it hits 90. No 90's for the next week either.

KATL based on official records that started in 1879:

1. Latest 1st 90+: 7/28 (1961) (no El Nino)

2nd latest 90+: 7/24/1884 (oncoming weak El Nino)

Next ones (none of these El Nino): 7/20/1912, 7/10/1910, 7/9/2001, 7/8/2003, 7/2/1973 

2. - So, 7 times there was no 90+ by 6/30..so chance of that ~5%

- 68 of 136 Mays had no 90+ (50% of them)..so not at all usual to not have a 90+ in May

Nice slow moving storm just to my east moving northish but I did have a light shower right overhead

here is the storm

I am underneath the lighter shower closer to Greenville the picture is the heavier return to the SE obviously, its fun when you get a good look at isolated showers on radar that you can see visually outside,  it helps to gauge how close things are radar wise

Archived