• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
18 Years Ago Today....Rain Drops Transitioned to Cat Paws...

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this was my favorite storm and probably always will be after getting 2 inches of snow and small branches started coming down you just knew how epic it was about to become but even in my weenie dreams i never expected it to be as bad as it was!!  :snowing:

Yup. I had never seen snow that heavy again until October 2011. 

I always loved that map because it had 30" right over ORH...lol.

But that map is definitely wrong since a good chunk of eastern MA had over 25"...and there were some pockets of 30" too outside of ORH.

Did that storm retro-bomb from the weaker event during the day on 3/31?  We had about 7" at my Gardiner home with no wind, and it was all done by midnight, with the real action a clean miss.  Maps I've seen for the 4/1 bomb have my area (both Gardiner and New Sharon) in 4-10" or 3-6", and that only makes sense if the two storms were rolled together, or were actually the same storm as lamb and then lion.

For me, I would rank

#1 Feb 1978

#2 October 2011 bomb (just the weirdness of 22" of powder in October)

#3 3/31/97 I was not the weenie I am now, so no accurate measurement. It is in my head as 30-36" (Gardner, MA), but not sure as I think back

But it was pretty much all gone in 5 days

I'm surprised 78 ranks that highly for you out that way.

Yep. And going by what I witnessed and not necessarily the impacts where I live now...4/1/97 is tops. Jesus would I give a left one for that again.

IMBY, that is the most anomalous single event that I have ever seen.

10/11' was lame here, though still anomalous.

The dusting I had in May 2002 is up there, too.

March '93 warrants honarable mention, too. Never, ever seen driftingg here even on that playing field.

Obviously the most anomalous stretch was that three weeks last season.

No where near a "jack" but a great storm here. Changed to snow around noon but didn't stick much for awhile. There was only about 2" at 5pm. Thunder occurred 4 to midnight in spurts don't know about after that as I went to bed. The snowfall seemed heaviest after 9pm plus the wind let up some allowing better accumulation. I measured 10.6" at midnight and 16" total in the morning.

Second favorite storm behind Oct 2011 since I've been measuring.

No where near a "jack" but a great storm here. Changed to snow around noon but didn't stick much for awhile. There was only about 2" at 5pm. Thunder occurred 4 to midnight in spurts don't know about after that as I went to bed. The snowfall seemed heaviest after 9pm plus the wind let up some allowing better accumulation. I measured 10.6" at midnight and 16" total in the morning.

Second favorite storm behind Oct 2011 since I've been measuring.

I measured a foot at midnight, then crashed (today I wouldn't have)..woke up to near 30".

Must have been some crazy a$$ $hit going down between midnight and 6am.

I measured a foot at midnight, then crashed (today I wouldn't have)..woke up to near 30".

Must have been some crazy a$$ $hit going down between midnight and 6am.

Oh man...It was an all out sh*t storm from like 10-6am or so. I was sleep for a few hours and that's about it. I couldn't stop looking out.

I don't remember a whole lot as I had just turned 11, but I do remember looking out the window the next morning and seeing my father's trellis for his grapes completely collapsed...plus we didn't have power for a brief period.  I also remember it being some of the heaviest/wettest snow I'd seen. This was in Natick.  

The 2005 storm was also also epic, but I remember I had to leave the next morning to drive back out to Amherst from Natick for spring semester, and was severely disappointed in the total they got out that way.  In fact, in my four years spent out there I don't remember a storm over a foot lol.  Place is just a snow hole. 

And I slept throught it. :axe:

Young and stupid.

LOL, well all that matters is the outcome. Not sure the combo of + bust and epicosity will be matched in this day and age. Models are good. I feel like that was half the fun back in the day....and also a big reason why I went into weather. The awe of an outcome totally unexpected and "how did this happen" mentality.

LOL, well all that matters is the outcome. Not sure the combo of + bust and epicosity will be matched in this day and age. Models are good. I feel like that was half the fun back in the day....and also a big reason why I went into weather. The awe of an outcome totally unexpected and "how did this happen" mentality.

Exactly...big reason why '92 rates so highly on my list.

I wish I had a dam radar of that event. The rates that night were incredible. Blinding snow all night with thunder.

Anyone with archived radar or model guidance maps leading up to it?

You can get national NEXRAD images archived back to 1995 at Iowa State Univ.  Here's a loop for this event...

http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/current/mcview.phtml?prod=usrad&java=script&mode=archive&frames=60&interval=30&year=1997&month=3&day=31&hour=6&minute=0

You can get national NEXRAD images archived back to 1995 at Iowa State Univ.  Here's a loop for this event...

http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/current/mcview.phtml?prod=usrad&java=script&mode=archive&frames=60&interval=30&year=1997&month=3&day=31&hour=6&minute=0

I've seen that, but it always looked like some composite stuff.

Archived