• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
18 Years Ago Today....Rain Drops Transitioned to Cat Paws...

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Largely a bust down this way.  Forecasts were for 6-10 or even 8-12, but we had heavy rain much longer than forecast, didn't flip until the evening, and then we were stuck in a mini dry slot.  Got around 3-4 inches of slop that was vaporized the next day.  For whatever reason, forecasters still went with the big totals/blizzard conditions blah blah blah that evening despite most of the QPF already falling as rain.  Oh well.  Hell of a storm for Eastern MA

Largely a bust down this way.  Forecasts were for 6-10 or even 8-12, but we had heavy rain much longer than forecast, didn't flip until the evening, and then we were stuck in a mini dry slot.  Got around 3-4 inches of slop that was vaporized the next day.  For whatever reason, forecasters still went with the big totals/blizzard conditions blah blah blah that evening despite most of the QPF already falling as rain.  Oh well.  Hell of a storm for Eastern MA

Hmmm, really? I was in Guilford at the time and I remember most stations and NWS downplaying the storm quite a bit along the shoreline. We wound up with nearly a foot of cement with a bunch of tree damage. 

I was working in Harvard Sq and remember watching heavy rain flipping to cat paws and back again for about an hour and when I finally flipped for good telling my boss it was time to get out of dodge. Caught the last bus out of Harvard that actually made it up the hill to Arlington around 2pm.

I was staying with my folks up on the hill that spring and remember walking in knee deep snow to Rt 2 and watching two of the big state blows get stuck in about 15 minutes. Then seeing the flashes of transformers blowing. Wild night and surreal next morning.

That being said it might still rank behind Feb. 1978 (7 years old in Cambridge) and January 2005 (Cambridge again) for me.

Hmmm, really? I was in Guilford at the time and I remember most stations and NWS downplaying the storm quite a bit along the shoreline. We wound up with nearly a foot of cement with a bunch of tree damage. 

you must have been far enough away to miss the semi dry slot.   I don't remember what TV stations said, but we had local radio on at work that Monday and they were hyping the hell out of it.  The map Will posted showed 3-4 inches on the shoreline except for an area east of New Haven and down by the Stamford/Greenwich area (which had more) which I would say was accurate for around here.

you must have been far enough away to miss the semi dry slot.   I don't remember what TV stations said, but we had local radio on at work that Monday and they were hyping the hell out of it.  The map Will posted showed 3-4 inches on the shoreline except for an area east of New Haven and down by the Stamford/Greenwich area (which had more) which I would say was accurate for around here.

Stratford 3 Greenwich 2

Yeah I see New Haven is listed at 6" and we had over 10" at 250 ft ASL. The gradient between where I grew up and the center of town near sea level was pretty wild. 

I lived at the bottom of a hill in Ashaway RI that went up to 275 feet. I had about 8-10 the top had 18-20, down RT 3 towards Westerly was a sloppy 2 inches. Biggest gradient I have ever seen.

I remember how heavy each flake was it was like getting hit with a pie. The w/e were crazy 

MA--Fairhaven (3.53), Hull (5.32); RI--Providence (3.06), Tiverton (3.08), N. Foster (3.58).

Upton, NY at OKX had like 5.50" of water from the 2013 blizzard. That is so insane. 

Talk about bass > treble. 

For me in Boston, April 1997 vies with Jan 2005 for all-time greatest

I have similar memories of being glued to a window in school to watch parachutes start to mix in late afternoon.

We went sledding down my school's football stadium the next afternoon.

I didn't yet have model savvy to appreciate the anticipation building up to the storm.

Does anyone have any model guidance images leading up to the storm? From these posts, it sounds like it wasn't very well forecasted at all.

Any radar images from that night?

Archived