Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Spring 2015: Pattern and Discussion thread

Eastatlwx

CR,

This is fascinating to hear since in all of my years I had never known that Bradford pear tree blooms literally stink! I had never read it or been told that. When I was at my dad's place today, I asked what kind of trees they had in their front yard. I was told Bradfords. He has at least four of them in the front yard, alone, with all of them in bloom. I was curious about what you said and smelled the full blooms up close. I detected no smell! However, it was pretty windy. So, I'm wondering if the wind was keeping me from detecting the smell? Or could it be some of them really don't smell? Or could they have been mistaken about them being Bradfords? They sort of had that Bradford look I thought. But maybe they're lookalikes?

bradford pears do not smell here....the ginkos, however, some of them smell horrendous. 

i actually like spring, with the new green growth and flowers. i like and enjoy most seasons, as long as there is some type of active wx.  the long dry spell summers with no storms get kind of boring though lol

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Several of the 06z GFS members look like snow storms for GA/SC this weekend. I'm not sure about boundary layer temps, but most of them(the one's that have a southern low and precip) have 850's in the -4 to -6 range with precip falling over night so snow could possibly reach the ground.  If this trough can cut off over our area I wouldn't be surprised to see some accumulations outside of the mountians.  It could be a similar setup to the November 1st storm if the trough trends sharper and manages to close off a contour or two...

The mountains are certainly in the game for a solid snow if the trough is sharp enough.

CR,

This is fascinating to hear since in all of my years I had never known that Bradford pear tree blooms literally stink! I had never read it or been told that. When I was at my dad's place today, I asked what kind of trees they had in their front yard. I was told Bradfords. He has at least four of them in the front yard, alone, with all of them in bloom. I was curious about what you said and smelled the full blooms up close. I detected no smell! However, it was pretty windy. So, I'm wondering if the wind was keeping me from detecting the smell? Or could it be some of them really don't smell? Or could they have been mistaken about them being Bradfords? They sort of had that Bradford look I thought. But maybe they're lookalikes?

Yeah, they're horrible. You sure you're looking at Bradford's? They have the white blooms, a trillion leaves, and they drop branches in a fresh breeze.

Yeah, they're horrible. You sure you're looking at Bradford's? They have the white blooms, a trillion leaves, and they drop branches in a fresh breeze.

The Bradford smells as a whole, not necessarily the individual flowers! Ther is a cultivar called Cleveland select, that looks almost identical! On Bradford's the petals will fall like snow right about now!

RAH talking possible freeze:

TEMPERATURES IN THE LATTER PART OF THE LONG-TERM PERIOD WILL

AVERAGE BELOW THE NORMALS OF AROUND 65 TO 70 FOR LATE MARCH.

COOLEST DAY SHOULD BE SATURDAY WITH THE LOWEST 1000-850MB

THICKNESSES SUGGESTIVE OF ONLY THE MID 40S IN THE TRIAD. WILL LEAN A

CATEGORY ABOVE THAT AND CLOSER TO THE MOS CONSENSUS...APPROACHING

50 IN THE IMMEDIATE TRIAD AND FAR NORTHWEST PIEDMONT AND 50 TO 55

ELSEWHERE. SATURDAY NIGHT COULD FEATURE SOME UPPER 20S FOR LOWS IF

CLOUDS DIMINISH AS EXPECTED. GRADUAL WARMING TREND THROUGH THE

WEEKEND...EXPECTING HIGHS AROUND NORMAL BY MONDAY.

The Bradford smells as a whole, not necessarily the individual flowers! Ther is a cultivar called Cleveland select, that looks almost identical! On Bradford's the petals will fall like snow right about now!

That is one thing that is pretty cool about them. The pedals fill up the air once or twice every spring.

Not to mention spread like wildfire, overtaking native trees.

I didn't know that. I know that landscapers love to plant them in new neighborhoods. Not sure whether I'd choose sweet gum trees or Bradford pears, if I had the choice. I have 3 sweet gums and the amount of sweet gum balls they drop is overwhelming.

Probably looking at some snow showers for the higher elevations of GA over the weekend... Atlanta proper will flirt with a freeze though shouldn't be damaging locally due to it not getting that cold for that long....  It's almost April after all......  Northern sections of GA should drop down into the 20's for a bit longer, endangering some of the vegetation up there that has blossomed.

Biggest news will be some flakes falling in late March in GA.....

Probably looking at some snow showers for the higher elevations of GA over the weekend... Atlanta proper will flirt with a freeze though shouldn't be damaging locally due to it not getting that cold for that long....  It's almost April after all......  Northern sections of GA should drop down into the 20's for a bit longer, endangering some of the vegetation up there that has blossomed.

No no, winter is over. It's done. Can't snow anymore now that winter is over.

Probably looking at some snow showers for the higher elevations of GA over the weekend... Atlanta proper will flirt with a freeze though shouldn't be damaging locally due to it not getting that cold for that long.... It's almost April after all...... Northern sections of GA should drop down into the 20's for a bit longer, endangering some of the vegetation up there that has blossomed.

Yeah the euro looKs pretty impressive with the cold and some snow chances.

I'll have to recheck them when I go there again though the blooms may then be gone.

I just asked a lawn/garden expert and he wasn't at all aware that they stink and had never heard of that (just like I had never heard about it until now). However, he's around them quite often. So, perhaps the kind that grows in Savannah is a different version that doesn't stink?

I'll have to recheck them when I go there again though the blooms may then be gone.

I just asked a lawn/garden expert and he wasn't at all aware that they stink and had never heard of that (just like I had never heard about it until now). However, he's around them quite often. So, perhaps the kind that grows in Savannah is a different version that doesn't stink?

You would know if you smelled them...They stink horribly , very strong you can even smell them just driving by a few of them....

Maybe the Bradford's up here were raised in Savannah, and absorbed all the stink from the paper plant!?

I've got a very old, established Bradford Pear tree that has been in my front yard since I moved here 13 years ago, and it has never had any type of smell to it. It doesn't even smell when I've not raked the leaves until spring from the fall before  :lol:  

Anywho.....I'm gonna enjoy the cooler than normal weather this spring has to offer    :D    

So weird. Maybe there are different varieties. I only ever smell them in the spring when the flowers bloom.

There are not different kind of Badford pears, but there are trees that look almost identical, I.e., " Cleveland Select" . The Bradford is a hybrid and it re-seeds readily, and the seedlings don't exactly come true to the parent tree and revert back to one of the parent trees called " Callery"pears, and they are most likely the ones sprouting up in abandoned fields and roadsides. There are thorns on these that can puncture tractor tires! So this tree is a nuisance , in many, many ways! :(

Well, they can't stink any worse than the models did this winter :wacko:  Maybe it is only a certain stage in the blooming process or the chemistry of the tree but we have one down the street that stinks bad too.  They are terrible to split the larger parts, don't burn great, and make way too much ash too so not much use for them in a wood stove either :axe:  Wood stove will be back in business next weekend for sure though!   

There are not different kind of Badford pears, but there are trees that look almost identical, I.e., " Cleveland Select" . The Bradford is a hybrid and it re-seeds readily, and the seedlings don't exactly come true to the parent tree and revert back to one of the parent trees called " Callery"pears, and they are most likely the ones sprouting up in abandoned fields and roadsides. There are thorns on these that can puncture tractor tires! So this tree is a nuisance , in many, many ways! :(

Man you really know your stuff, Mack (or you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night)! Either way, you're dropping some impressive knowledge in this mug!

Archived